The Talking Deafie

thank you ya'all for sharing. c'mon on, ADers! confess to me!

I guess I am a talking deafie since I talk with practically everybody but will add sign when signing with deaf friends.

I tend to sign only with signers (Deaf/Hoh/CODA/terp) and sim-com with hearies. I like to sim-com wherever I go because since I can't see if there are other signers around, I like when other signers see me signing and come over to me. My habit of sim-coming 24/7 has led me to meeting a lot of Deaf/Hoh people. :)

I sign only when I can cause it's easier for me to sign only than it is to sim-com.

I tend to sign only with signers (Deaf/Hoh/CODA/terp) and sim-com with hearies. I like to sim-com wherever I go because since I can't see if there are other signers around, I like when other signers see me signing and come over to me. My habit of sim-coming 24/7 has led me to meeting a lot of Deaf/Hoh people. :)

I sign only when I can cause it's easier for me to sign only than it is to sim-com.

It is a given late deafened people can speak.

He is talking about those of us who are pre-lingual.

I don't think I should answer really, cos I'm not deaf as such, but I communicate only by talking (or writing). I never had the opportunity to learn sign language. Sometimes it's easier if other people write things down, if it's a very noisy place.

I can talk, but most people don't think I am deaf. They just think I am some foreigner. O.o.

Yup, I get that all the time. People have though I am Austrian, Spanish, and South African. LOL!

A lot of people I meet ask me, "Where is your accent from?" Maybe I should start telling them "Deafland." :hmm:

Yup, I get that all the time. People have though I am Austrian, Spanish, and South African. LOL!

A lot of people I meet ask me, "Where is your accent from?" Maybe I should start telling them "Deafland." :hmm:

Ha. I like that "Deafland" to educate people. They would know more about Deafland how great Deafland is!

You stole that from me in that AD blast chat, didn't you?

where's Deafland? I can't find it in the map :confused:

Deafland? lol My brother and I were talking about the accent and what our response should be the next time we're asked where we're from. He said "Antartica". :) Works for me!

And yes, I suppose I am a talking deafie. Mainstreamed with sign language.

I'm a Talkie deafie as well. I speak at work on a daily basis. I grew up orally and learned ASL in 88. I have moderate to profound hearing loss in both ears.

I have a noticeable nasally deaf accent.

Back