teaching myself to sign...<3

This is so unbelievable. It's hard to believe this is not just a troll.

I think she's just really naïve ... For the time being I'm giving her - what's it in English ? ' benefit of a doubt'... (I'll assume she's serious, until I see proof she's not)

im dislexic so i have to consentrate really hard on spelling
If that's the case then you may find interpreting to be extremely difficult because you're often working in two languages simultaneously (receiving one while producing the other) as well as paying attention to other relevant things in the environment like what's going on around you or how other people are reacting. You really can't focus on any one thing in particular.

Well let me better explain myself, and my story this may be long. (btw i am using a tablet so its hard with the touch screen sometimes pushing wrong keys being too sensative) I grew up with a big brother big sister and my mother. i have a twin sister who has cerible polzy so she lives with my aunt and i never got to see her but once a year, anyways, my mom worked her butt off to suport us. We lived in housing (rented a house in a poor naiborhood) my whole life. My mom was always on weed and drinking with her medication for epilepsy,not a good mix. my brother and sis dropped out of school before they hit highschool, they moved out and i had no one to protect me from an alchaholic mentally abusive mom. i decided id be the one to get out of this life. When i met Hazel, the deaf girl and i wanted to learn asl for her, i fell absolutly in love with it. Okay now mind you i also love children and at the time i didnt know what i wanted to do, and it hit me, i wanted to teach deaf children. If you ever heard somone talk when they are really sick they loose their voice for the most part yes? That is how my voice sounds perminantly, i was still born, being born three months early my voice box is so small, and not fixable, every day somone askes me " are you sick?" "youve been out partying all night havnt you"" or they say other things that id rather not talk about... Anyways back to my point. i wanted to be a teacher first, and still do, so if i dont become an interp. ill at least acomplish my main goal. the reson im 19 and just about to graduate highschool in may is because when my mother was drinking and abusive, i couldnt concentrait and thought i was worthless as she made me feel...then i found ASL and just like that i cleaned up my grades, got a job, moved out and now im trying really hard to do duel enrollment, regular school, work, and vollenteer at my old elementary school. learning about deaf culture and signing is my passion... i dont know what i would do if it was ever taken away.. and i hope this helps all of you to better understand who i am and where i come from. :)

Did you try to contact FAD for any Silent Dinner locations, or FAD affiliates close to your location?

p.s i just poured my heart out to you all and hardley anyone but best freinds know my story so please be kind that was hard to write, and once agian sorry for the bad spelling.

Well let me better explain myself, and my story this may be long. (btw i am using a tablet so its hard with the touch screen sometimes pushing wrong keys being too sensative) I grew up with a big brother big sister and my mother. i have a twin sister who has cerible polzy so she lives with my aunt and i never got to see her but once a year, anyways, my mom worked her butt off to suport us. We lived in housing (rented a house in a poor naiborhood) my whole life. My mom was always on weed and drinking with her medication for epilepsy,not a good mix. my brother and sis dropped out of school before they hit highschool, they moved out and i had no one to protect me from an alchaholic mentally abusive mom. i decided id be the one to get out of this life. When i met Hazel, the deaf girl and i wanted to learn asl for her, i fell absolutly in love with it. Okay now mind you i also love children and at the time i didnt know what i wanted to do, and it hit me, i wanted to teach deaf children. If you ever heard somone talk when they are really sick they loose their voice for the most part yes? That is how my voice sounds perminantly, i was still born, being born three months early my voice box is so small, and not fixable, every day somone askes me " are you sick?" "youve been out partying all night havnt you"" or they say other things that id rather not talk about... Anyways back to my point. i wanted to be a teacher first, and still do, so if i dont become an interp. ill at least acomplish my main goal. the reson im 19 and just about to graduate highschool in may is because when my mother was drinking and abusive, i couldnt concentrait and thought i was worthless as she made me feel...then i found ASL and just like that i cleaned up my grades, got a job, moved out and now im trying really hard to do duel enrollment, regular school, work, and vollenteer at my old elementary school. learning about deaf culture and signing is my passion... i dont know what i would do if it was ever taken away.. and i hope this helps all of you to better understand who i am and where i come from. :)
That's quite a lot for a young person to experience. I hope the future brings you better times.

Thank you Reba, it has been better, i am very happy where i am right now and exited for my future.

Most ADers are not mean but can be blunt

You guys actually remind me a lot of programmer forums, where folks also have a tendency toward bluntness/honesty. (I consider this a good thing. :))

There are some excellent VLOGS and youtubes online by Deaf signers but you have to be very careful and selective. Some signing done on youtube is not ASL despite how they're labeled.

Can you recommend any specific YouTube videos that are of good quality?

Thank you Reba, it has been better, i am very happy where i am right now and exited for my future.

I'm glad you're in a better place now :)

I do have a question - you mentioned you have trouble with your voice? How well are you able to clearly, loudly project your voice ... I ask because for interpreting you often do a lot of speaking (that must be heard in large classrooms etc).

Also how difficult is it for people who haven't previously meet you to understand what you say when you speak? Interpreters and TOD etc often will have clients (or students) who are Hoh who may use BOTH sign and speech to understand what is being said and any about of "auditory distortion" will make it very hard for us to understand one's voice.

I'd suggest that you find an interpreting program near you (even if it's a few hours away) and set up an appointment to speak with the teachers/dean/program manager etc to discuss your goals and what you'll have to do to make it happen. If they determine that for various reasons it's unlikely that being a ASL/English interpreter or TOD is something you are (medically/physically) able to do, they will be able to provide a lot of other ASL related career options for you at that time as well. For example: working in a ASL hearing/Hoh/Deaf daycare or preschool etc or working with teens or adults who use ASL to communicate etc. You may even want to look into doing a dual ASL and psychology degree and use it to help counsel children and teens who've been through some of the same challenges in live you have - turning your early life disadvantages into a unique advantage.

There are lots and lots of ASL related career choices, so PLEASE don't feel discouraged - you'll find something that is PERFECT for you, so don't limit your options this early or you may overlook something that important.

I am with Derek on his bicycle - outa here! Yet before I go I must say that I couldn't agree with Derek more.

I have had only 4 terps. My two favorites? One young man who though hearing was raised in a Deaf group home. He was wonderful. I miss him to this very day and still keep in touch with him. He could be trusted to interpret in perfect tense. Formal in an educational, legal or medical situation and asl slang with hearing friends. I did learn a lot from him too.

My second favorite is hoh, went to Deaf School and attends or hosts most of our deaf events. She is a full and thriving member of our community.

My least favorite of the 4? Hearing and in a full hearing world. She only profits from us and even tried to educate me! (my degree is higher than hers but she is Hearing)

anij to answer you, i can speak loude enough when needed, but on a daily bases, when im not trying hard to speak up, its very quiet, i would show you but i am not sure how that would work lol. Also as i said, teaching comes first. :) I believe children are the most important asset of the world.

No i am only 19, i wouldnt ever consider bringing a child into the world withought the financial means, and a stable job, in a good area. I only want the best for my kids and ill give them everything i didnt have. But i plan on adopting three, amd having three of my own when the time comes :)

Wirelessly posted (Backberry)

I've known some deaf that are dyslix. They only had an issue with english not ASL. I suspect it may be similar for you (to Lyn). I say go for it and remain open to new ideas and ways of being. Joining the deaf is like going to another country with a different languane and different norms. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

You might consider moving to Maryland, you will be amazed how many deaf are in the Baltimore/DC area. :)

Wirelessly posted (Backberry)

lyn123468 said:
p.s i just poured my heart out to you all and hardley anyone but best freinds know my story so please be kind that was hard to write, and once agian sorry for the bad spelling.

I loved reading your story. I've posed parts of my story here too so you are in good company. I love that you are making a life for yourself, a life that I know you will have pride in yourself. I've always believed that the oly barriers in life are the ones we make for ourselves. (And yes, I am Deaf)

agree! My favorite terp, very involved in Deaf culture, she has 2 Deaf kids, and is very understanding of my life and of Deaf culture... I have another terp wo isn't involved, and she isn't as good... go to deaf events, find deaf people... get involved... to get know us for us... and not just the language we use. Also, do not go just for your "career" but go because you want to be involved. Yes we are blunt, that is part of the culture... my advice... get used to it.

I am also a beginner, and I'm taking sign language courses through a program near where I go to college. I was wondering, how would you go about finding deaf events / communities to get involved in? I would love to, but I feel very ignorant of the culture and would love to be more involved, as well as make more friends in the community :)

I am also a beginner, and I'm taking sign language courses through a program near where I go to college. I was wondering, how would you go about finding deaf events / communities to get involved in? I would love to, but I feel very ignorant of the culture and would love to be more involved, as well as make more friends in the community :)

I just attended my first Deaf social event*, which I found via Meetup.com. Check if there are any Deaf events in your area!

* It was awesome! Everyone was super friendly even though I can only saw a few things in ASL so far.

I just attended my first Deaf social event*, which I found via Meetup.com. Check if there are any Deaf events in your area!

* It was awesome! Everyone was super friendly even though I can only saw a few things in ASL so far.

Thank you very much, I'm going to have to check that out! :3

Hi, lyn123468, I also taught myself sign when I was 17. It is a lot harder because you do need classes. However, I went 3 years before actually going to a class and I understood the beginning stuff easier. Now as for schooling, you can choose to major first. It's easier when you know where your going. Even if you change later at least you will never be lost or take more than you need. I really hope you make it as whatever you dream of doing. :)

Back