teaching myself to sign...<3

It's entirely possible to learn a new language without classes, but you have to be a lot more dedicated and "smart" about what & how you study. You have to not only teach yourself the vocabulary, grammar, etc, but you also have to find understandable audio or video content for input, and groups of native speakers and/or other students to practice with. And you have to keep up your motivation and remain consistent in your learning, without the "pressure" of tests and a grade.

For many people, a class is the better or more realistic option. But it can be done without a formal class.

Yea, for me I was dying to take a class but it wasn't offered at my hs. I used books and my own versions of made up conversations. Classes were better because it was REAL. But I'm still glad I taught myself some because it was that time alone that showed me how dedicated I was to learn about the history, culture and language.

They are all right! I work with hearing babies and toddlers using signs while also teaching them speak so when I sign with the babies and toddlers I need to use ASL signs in proper english sentence order kind of a combination of SEE and ASL but I use ASL signs in English sentence order and when I am signing to people in the Deaf community it takes me a few minutes to convert back to proper ASL order it is very hard to have to switch the use of your signs and you can't just learn on line because you will be using ASL signs in the order I use them at work for example in english you would say open (the) present in ASL you would sign present open you will not learn the proper formation grammar for signs if you are just looking up signs on line. They are not "mean" they are being honest with you and they don't want to set you up to fail take their advice I am sure that you can find some deaf friends some where around you I met mine in a bar randomly!

Back