Other people perspective AGAINST C.I. for the Deaf children

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lantana, nice to see you! Yes, I have to admit it wouldn't surprise me if the kneejerk thing would be "automatic implant" without even seeing if HA is just as good. On the other hand, I think if that does happen, it would prolly happen in the population where they have VERY good insurance and are relatively well off. Even middle class people can't always get relatively good insurance..........

Lantana, nice to see you! Yes, I have to admit it wouldn't surprise me if the kneejerk thing would be "automatic implant" without even seeing if HA is just as good. On the other hand, I think if that does happen, it would prolly happen in the population where they have VERY good insurance and are relatively well off. Even middle class people can't always get relatively good insurance..........

They've already begun to relax the qualification criteria. Not investigating benefit from HA first is the next step.

I find it odd that people who interfere with our education, our jobs, and our reproduction rights, consider us to be a burden to them when in reality, they are a burden to us because they already made things harder for us. If one thinks one has the right to get rid of certain people because of the burden, then do we have the right to get rid of him? If we do attempt to get rid of him, he will cry foul in spite of what he has done to us. We must not let any elitists gain any power over us.

:smash: Good point!

Now, Vallee, you puzzled me. I looked up those words at thefreedictionary.com and here are those definitions.

eu·gen·ics (y-jnks)
n. (used with a sing. verb)
The study of hereditary improvement of the human race by controlled selective breeding.

gen·o·cide (jn-sd)
n.
The systematic and planned extermination of an entire national, racial, political, or ethnic group.

hol·o·caust (hl-kôst, hl-)
n.
1. Great destruction resulting in the extensive loss of life, especially by fire.
a. Holocaust The genocide of European Jews and others by the Nazis during World War II: "Israel emerged from the Holocaust and is defined in relation to that catastrophe" Emanuel Litvinoff.
b. A massive slaughter: "an important document in the so-far sketchy annals of the Cambodian holocaust" Rod Nordland.
3. A sacrificial offering that is consumed entirely by flames.

It is quite clear that Holocaust is genocide. I don't understand why you choose to ignore the genocide implication of CIs. It is a first small step in the direction of genocide of the deaf people. I learned yesterday that the Nazis started with the handicapped people first before including the Jewish people and Gypsies. All a doctor had to try something improper and if no one object, he would push some more. It can easily turn into genocide. We all must be on guard against this. Shel90 was telling us about a lady who thinks there ought to be a law for all deaf people to be implanted - exactly the attitude we all must avoid at all costs. We must object against anything that smells of potential genocide and keep at that. I saw a title of a book on Amazon.com that impacted me and it is called "Enforcing Normalacy" (can't afford that book as it is over 80 bucks and yes, it is about deaf people.)

I find it odd that people who interfere with our education, our jobs, and our reproduction rights, consider us to be a burden to them when in reality, they are a burden to us because they already made things harder for us. If one thinks one has the right to get rid of certain people because of the burden, then do we have the right to get rid of him? If we do attempt to get rid of him, he will cry foul in spite of what he has done to us. We must not let any elitists gain any power over us.

I used dictionary.com

United States Holocaust Memorial Museum This is the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. They have a wonderful site.

I don't feel that cochlear implants are genocide or holocaust. I wear bilateral cochlear implants. I am still deaf! I don't believe it is to rid the world of deafness. It is assistive technology much like my hearing aid was. It is not a cure. Yes, it is better than my hearing aids were, but I am still deaf.

When I decided to get my implants, I told myself I would not get caught up in the debate over it. I picked it after a years of thinking of it. I am very happy with my choice. I see no differences in my morning routine, I put on my cochlear implants just like I did my hearing aids.

I will not be put into this debate, if I read these post to me they are saying I have been genocide or holocaust because I have cochlear implants. My family went through one Holocaust, I will not be put through a holocaust too!!

I used dictionary.com

United States Holocaust Memorial Museum This is the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. They have a wonderful site.

I don't feel that cochlear implants are genocide or holocaust. I wear bilateral cochlear implants. I am still deaf! I don't believe it is to rid the world of deafness. It is assistive technology much like my hearing aid was. It is not a cure. Yes, it is better than my hearing aids were, but I am still deaf.

When I decided to get my implants, I told myself I would not get caught up in the debate over it. I picked it after a years of thinking of it. I am very happy with my choice. I see no differences in my morning routine, I put on my cochlear implants just like I did my hearing aids.

I will not be put into this debate, if I read these post to me they are saying I have been genocide or holocaust because I have cochlear implants. My family went through one Holocaust, I will not be put through a holocaust too!!

AAAhhh, now I understand you. Free will/choice is not genocide. I am talking about NO free will/choice which is a form of genocide. There are some hearing people who think CI is a miracle and they don't really understand the difference between the ability to hear sounds and the ability to comprehend what was being said. They just think "oh, now the deaf baby can hear and we don't need to use sign language". That is a dangerous thinking to the deaf population. The parents who want CI for their deaf child, need to be aware of problems associated with CI like the risk of meningitis, CI mightn't work as well or none at all, CI could break down in the future, etc. They need to include sign language from the get-go in case the CI fails. What if some hearing people in power decide unilaterally (as in not discussing the planned law with the deaf adults, NAD, etc) that all deaf babies need to be implanted and sign language forbidden. It has happened before when the pro-oralism people has so much power in the deaf education and still do in some schools. It's all because they equate ability to speak with intelligence. I don't agree with that. The deaf people need sign language and a real good education and it doesn't matter to me if they can speak or not. I know that kind of education I had in the oral school and it is dumbed down which I hate. We need to have a "deaf family" outside our own family for insurance. My "deaf family" is my insurance in case I have a big problem with my own family.

The clause 14 of British's planned new law on fertility is about removing all deaf embryos and other embryos with other disabilities in fertility clinics. It is a step toward genocide. Already the Chinese goverment is requiring that a deaf person to be sterilized before he/she can marry. That is a futher step toward genocide. Genocide doesn't happened quickly and out of blue. It happens in small steps.

I am not attacking you for having CI. I am attacking the attitude against sign language, deaf pride, deaf rights and most important of all, deaf education/job. (I know what Shel90 is going to say.)

They've already begun to relax the qualification criteria. Not investigating benefit from HA first is the next step.
That's just so inane. It's great that those who get no benifit from ha can have something, but relaxing criteria just makes it seem like they are the latest greatest technological device out there.
But on the other hand, with benifits being reduced to bare bones coverage, for even middle class people, I doubt that it will become common.

This whole topic is lost in space. I cannot imagine why a hearing parent would be here on AD ON SATURDAY NIGHT. Having a deaf child does not make you a slave to Deafhood! Let him go, in the long run he will make up his own mind, anyway. Get your own life and enjoy it while you can.

Deaf Dyke (not a princess):

I love your posts and please do not give up just because someone else (appears) better educated or knowledgable. Only the deaf people themselves can contribute to the experience!

Deaf "children" do not benefit from being overly protected, we all are aware of that. All except SOME. Let them learn the hard way.

Lantana, yes having a dhh kid shouldn't make you a slave to Deafhood. That is why it's the hearing parent's job to do a full toolbox approach. That way the kid can make up their own minds as to what works for them. I don 't resent having speech skills. I think speech skills are an awesome awesome tool. That said I wish I'd been able to make use of other tools. Sure I didn't "need" sign, the way someone who had a more severe loss did.....but having more tools at my command, might have helped me suceed better both academicly and socially. Actually, this isn't just limited to deafness. Other disabilties tend to have the methodology that makes them more like "nondisabled" folks pushed on them. For example, kids with physical disabilites are encouraged to view walking as the grand high utopia. They are taught to see "special needs methodology" as not good.....Like, in addtion to being hoh I also have mild hypotonia. It is mild, but it does affect my fine motor skills. Throughout school, the fact that I have hypotonia was ignored. I could write, so everything should have been fine and dainty! The problem with that was that I had to expend a lot of energy on writing, when I could have just typed everything, and just concentrated on content.

This whole topic is lost in space. I cannot imagine why a hearing parent would be here on AD ON SATURDAY NIGHT. Having a deaf child does not make you a slave to Deafhood! Let him go, in the long run he will make up his own mind, anyway. Get your own life and enjoy it while you can.

What does Saturday night have to do with anything? One is a parent seven days a week.

I love your posts and please do not give up just because someone else (appears) better educated or knowledgable. Only the deaf people themselves can contribute to the experience!

Deaf "children" do not benefit from being overly protected, we all are aware of that. All except SOME. Let them learn the hard way.

So far off topic that it makes absolutely no sense.

That's just so inane. It's great that those who get no benifit from ha can have something, but relaxing criteria just makes it seem like they are the latest greatest technological device out there.
But on the other hand, with benifits being reduced to bare bones coverage, for even middle class people, I doubt that it will become common.

Could you please explain some more on this??

I don't think I quite understand you. A hearing parent on AD might be showing open-minded and hopefully might be urging the child to learn sign language (CI or not). A hearing parent who never tried to find out more about the Deaf World, would be making his/her child slave to HearingHood. How can a child make up his own mind if he doesn't know sign language. The only way the child would know sign language if he met a Deaf person and learn sign language.

Who appears to be better educated or knowledgable? deafdyke sounds educated to me.

Yes, the deaf children need to be able to handle things just like hearing kids. There are times I remember that my mother was being way too overprotective.

Rick48 and Vallee, what are you going to do if the Supreme court decide to pass a law similiar law to British's Clause 14 of Human Fertilisation and Embryology Bill?

Rick48 and Vallee, what are you going to do if the Supreme court decide to pass a law similiar law to British's Clause 14 of Human Fertilisation and Embryology Bill?

I was reading the law that was in place from 1990. It seems it is an updated version of a law from 1990. I was looking for the clause 14. Can you get a direct link for me?

Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act 1990 (c. 37)

I'm sure there are people in government who would love to have a law like that. I'm sure they are trying to get it passed too. Me, I don't agree with designer babies. I also don't agree with any government involving in this matter. I don't view deafness as a abnormality. I would be the first to write , protest, and visit my congressperson and sentor to protest any passing of a bill like that.

I was reading the law that was in place from 1990. It seems it is an updated version of a law from 1990. I was looking for the clause 14. Can you get a direct link for me?

Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act 1990 (c. 37)

I'm sure there are people in government who would love to have a law like that. I'm sure they are trying to get it passed too. Me, I don't agree with designer babies. I also don't agree with any government involving in this matter. I don't view deafness as a abnormality. I would be the first to write , protest, and visit my congressperson and sentor to protest any passing of a bill like that.

Here's a couple of links on clause 14:
Parliament: Deaf Embryo selection to be made illegal (Grumpy Old Deafies)
About this campaign | Stop Eugenics!

I just don't want to see it passed as other countries could very well want to pass that kind of law in their own country.

EugenicsArchive The eugenics law was passed in 1927. What is scary is that the law still stand.
Although in 1942 the Supreme Court struck down a law allowing the involuntary sterilization of criminals, it never reversed the general concept of eugenic sterilization.
I think that law ought to be removed.

My "The Holocaust Chronicles" did touched on eugenics movement in USA. It said that antisemitism was constitutive to Holocaust/Nazi domination because without it, Hitler will not be able to pull it off. It also said that antisemitism has been around since 4th century when the Romans passed laws which attacked Judasim and Jews. It also said the hatred against Judaism/Jews is the world's longest hatred. I personally think it is the discrimination/hatred against the disabled is even longer. (Remember the remarks of Aristotle and Socrates on deaf people?)

The USA sterilized mentally disabled people in mental instituations from 1907 tp 1941 and the USA's Immigration Restriction Act in 1924 (against immigrants from Asian and Eastern Europe) and the pograms (first started in 1881) in Russia, Ukraine and Poland that continued over few decades seemed to make things easy for Hitler to start the Holocaust.

Wow.. Buffalo.. you did good posts.... i agree with you and shel...

Here's a couple of links on clause 14:
Parliament: Deaf Embryo selection to be made illegal (Grumpy Old Deafies)
About this campaign | Stop Eugenics!

I just don't want to see it passed as other countries could very well want to pass that kind of law in their own country.

EugenicsArchive The eugenics law was passed in 1927. What is scary is that the law still stand.
I think that law ought to be removed.

My "The Holocaust Chronicles" did touched on eugenics movement in USA. It said that antisemitism was constitutive to Holocaust/Nazi domination because without it, Hitler will not be able to pull it off. It also said that antisemitism has been around since 4th century when the Romans passed laws which attacked Judasim and Jews. It also said the hatred against Judaism/Jews is the world's longest hatred. I personally think it is the discrimination/hatred against the disabled is even longer. (Remember the remarks of Aristotle and Socrates on deaf people?)

The USA sterilized mentally disabled people in mental instituations from 1907 tp 1941 and the USA's Immigration Restriction Act in 1924 (against immigrants from Asian and Eastern Europe) and the pograms (first started in 1881) in Russia, Ukraine and Poland that continued over few decades seemed to make things easy for Hitler to start the Holocaust.

I read both of those, what I am looking for is the orginial bill that is set to pass. I want to read that. I do agree with your posting on the events in history. The mentally disabled are still being sterilzed just now with the agreement of the families. They provide birth control. I have a friend who has a sister-in-law in a group home, she takes birth control. The lady, she is 28, does not understand what she is taking. Her family makes that choice for her. Her mental ability is of a 2 year old.

I will say this again I don't believe Cochlear Implants either free will or not free will(family choice) as eugenics. I reason behind it is that either it is free will or eugenics, it can't be both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back