Other people perspective AGAINST C.I. for the Deaf children

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was also mainstreamed as well. My experiences was different than yours. I had a great experience. The people around me did not make me "Hearing." I was taught to be me. I surrounded myself with others who respected me as well as I respected them.

I'm sorry your experience was not positive.

Nope, it wasnt and so were many many of my friends' who were mainstreamed. One of my friends had depend on anxiety meds cuz her anxiety levels go out of control whenever she is around hearing people cuz of her childhood experience being in an oral-only environment and the abuse she got from her speech therapists who told her that she wont ever be smart if she doesnt learn to speak correctly. How shitty is that to do to a child?

Nope, it wasnt and so were many many of my friends' who were mainstreamed. One of my friends had depend on anxiety meds cuz her anxiety levels go out of control whenever she is around hearing people cuz of her childhood experience being in an oral-only environment and the abuse she got from her speech therapists who told her that she wont ever be smart if she doesnt learn to speak correctly. How shitty is that to do to a child?

Wow it is very interesting what they had their experience during childhood. I was struggled and confused between oral and ASL during my childhood at Deaf School. I was punished when I sign. It was awful nightmare with means teachers how they treat me really bad.

Nope, it wasnt and so were many many of my friends who were mainstreamed.

Everyone has different experiences, some positive some negative. It is the same with my friends how are hoh/deaf. Some loved school and some did not. I found out from my high school reunion, that one of the girls,Nicki, got a cochlear implant and does not like it. We talked and she said, I like my quiet, silent world. She respected my choice to wear mine and I respected her choice to not wear hers.

Wow it is very interesting what they had their experience during childhood. I was struggled and confused between oral and ASL during my childhood at Deaf School. I was punished when I sign. It was awful nightmare with means teachers how they treat me really bad.

So deaf school did not allow ASL?

I agree that is terrible. There are terrible teachers in all schools. For every positive fantastic teacher, there is a group of shitty, terrible throw it in your face teachers.

I had both. Just had a mom that did not put up with crap. Her daughter does not either. My high school was so small and teachers were fantastic. Saw most at reunion and they still remember me.

I was also mainstreamed as well. My experiences was different than yours. I had a great experience. The people around me did not make me "Hearing." I was taught to be me. I surrounded myself with others who respected me as well as I respected them.

I'm sorry your experience was not positive.

Well said vallee, your experiences are similar to my daughter's and like you she too is blessed with a mother who doesn't take any crap.

So deaf school did not allow ASL?

Oh yea, back in the old days after AGBell pushed his BS about oralism, Deaf schools changed to the oral philosophy and punished deaf kids for signing. U were lucky that u didnt suffer any scars. However, parents will see your experience and maybe make their decision based on your positive experience but only to have the opposite happens. We need to inform them of both the up and downsides but it just seems like people tell us, who have bad experiences, that we are crybabies and that their child wont have the same experiences. Well, guess what..we got older kids being referred to our school cuz they werent successful in the mainstreamed programs.

I agree that is terrible. There are terrible teachers in all schools. For every positive fantastic teacher, there is a group of shitty, terrible throw it in your face teachers.

I had both. Just had a mom that did not put up with crap. Her daughter does not either. My high school was so small and teachers were fantastic. Saw most at reunion and they still remember me.

My friend never told her parents about what that speech teacher did to her cuz she was ashamed of herself.

My friend never told her parents about what that speech teacher did to her cuz she was ashamed of herself.

I was afraid to tell my parents due to very low esteem confidence. Not able to know how to speak up for my right.

Now, I speak up alot wow... I feel so good about myself ;)

I was afraid to tell my parents due to very low esteem confidence. Not able to know how to speak up for my right.

Good for you.

Was this deaf school a private or public school?

refer me to some sources. I really never had viewed myself as disabled. I have a disability, sure, I agree with that. I just was not taught that my hearing loss is an inability.

Do you view hearing aids and cochlear implants in either adults or children as a way to change a person to be more like the majority?

It is a basic assumption that is inherent in the biomedical model, and it is directly tied to the view of deafness, or any difference, as pathological and the result of disease or deficiency. Inherent in this model is the automatic assumption that the difference is substandard, and treatment is focused on remediation of the physical pathology to the neglect of the psycho-social implications of disability. In other words, to reduce it to the case of a CI, a child is implanted, has had the pathological condition of deafness treated through medical intervention, and therefore, treatment is done. It fails to account for all of the enviromental factors that bear directly on an ability to function within a society.

The view of oneself as disabled is the result of the medical model, but not the same thing as a model's defintion of disability.

I am not at home right now....I'm working a second job on weekends at a safe house for victims of domestic violence as a counselor, but one title that comes to mind is Psychosocial Aspects of Disability. I will have to look the author up when I get home at 8 in the morning, and probably have the ISBN # as well. This text does an excellent job of explaining the different models and also the strengths and weaknesses of each, and the historical implications.

It doesn't she just thinks it sounds good. Pure psycho babble.

Educate yourself on the issues. Then, and only then, will you be able to contribute to the discussion.

And that is a perfect example of empowerment. When you were punished for using sign, etc. it made you dependent on the decisions of the so called "experts" and took your right toself determination away. Now, you have regained that right, and are empowered to make decisions regarding how you choose to live with your deafness, and which accommodations are the most beneficial for you. You are the expert. That is empowerment.

And that is what happens when policy is set based on a biomedical model. She was given the message inherent in this model that she was responsible for her deafness, that her deafness was a deficit, and that the pathology made her inferior to non-deaf. It gives all of the power differntial to the so called "experts" and removes the individual's power, thus making them dependent upon the "experts". And it results in feelings of shame, because the implication is that there is something wrong with the person. Kindof like the old "try harder syndrome."

I have never heard of any speech therapists had treated deaf people the way that your friend had experienced, All my speech therapists were all friendly and helpful. I've had years of speech therapies and it was all worth it. :)

It is a basic assumption that is inherent in the biomedical model, and it is directly tied to the view of deafness, or any difference, as pathological and the result of disease or deficiency. Inherent in this model is the automatic assumption that the difference is substandard, and treatment is focused on remediation of the physical pathology to the neglect of the psycho-social implications of disability. In other words, to reduce it to the case of a CI, a child is implanted, has had the pathological condition of deafness treated through medical intervention, and therefore, treatment is done. It fails to account for all of the enviromental factors that bear directly on an ability to function within a society.

The view of oneself as disabled is the result of the medical model, but not the same thing as a model's defintion of disability.

I am not at home right now....I'm working a second job on weekends at a safe house for victims of domestic violence as a counselor, but one title that comes to mind is Psychosocial Aspects of Disability. I will have to look the author up when I get home at 8 in the morning, and probably have the ISBN # as well. This text does an excellent job of explaining the different models and also the strengths and weaknesses of each, and the historical implications.

What about the biopsychosocial model?

Not all doctors follow the same model. Not all doctors are the same.

I may be a medical model of being disabled, so what. I have a college degree, I work, I have a family.

I will look it up. The one thing I found with life is the more you allow yourself to be called disabled or handicap or anything else, the more you believe it. I don't believe in allowing myself to feel that way. My ability comes first. My deafness is an ability. It allows me to be the person I am. I would not trade it for anything. Just like I would not trade my CIs, they allow me to be the person I am too.

I have never heard of any speech therapists had treated deaf people the way that your friend had experienced, All my speech therapists were all friendly and helpful. I've had years of speech therapies and it was all worth it. :)

Oh dear, my speech therapists was awful means to me. She slapped my face because I could not pronouce f n p etc.. She pressured a wood stick on my tonuge, saying annhhhhh the drool was all over on my pretty dress. I was doing speech therapists spend 75% a day. 25% on academic and activity. That is why, I hate going to school because of bitch speech therapist.

I never want to learn to speak again. Choice ASL, it is my primary language. I am very against oralist... it is worthless in my life into real world....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back