Votes: 31 48.4%
  • Maybe or sometimes

Votes: 14 21.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

faire_jour

Reaction score
Is it ever ok for a deaf or hard of hearing to be in an oral school? How about a mainstream placement with or without an interpreter?

Do not address signing at home or being a part of the Deaf community. Just school.

Is it ever ok for a deaf or hard of hearing to be in an oral school? How about a mainstream placement with or without an interpreter?

Well, I did it and survived it and am a relatively happy adult.

But, I have no friends from school days.

Embarrassingly my only friend was a girl who became a special ed teacher. I think she was my friend as thinking of me a practice student for her. We stayed friends but she died of cancer.

I was awfully lonely.

Faire:

My son is in mainstream placement without an interpreter since he's been 4 years old. Prior to that, he was in an oral program. I know of your situation (that is - if you are speaking about it) and in Miss Kat's case, I would have an interpreter (at least in the beginning).. My niece was implanted later and switched from a Deaf school to a mianstream program with the assistance of an interpreter and is doing extremely well. . My son is extremely well adjusted and so far- there have not been any of the social issues that some on AD have spoken about. I hope this helps!

Do not address signing at home or being a part of the Deaf community. Just school.

It depends how well the child would be able to cope in an oral environment, I grew up Oral in a deaf school, if you had to be in a mainstream environment it would be best for the child to have an interpreter. Today even at college I still have an interpreter because sometimes I cannot cope, somedays I cannot hear as much and I realised that when the 'terp isnt there I miss a LOT of information and have to relied on my friends heavily to interpret what is going on.

The 'terp also helps me when I cannot understand my friends, she'll get involved in our conservations as we consider her as one of our friends ,she is quite young so I dont actually think her as an 'terp but she'll make sure iv understood and clarify things.

If the child is able to understand what is going out without an interpreter they should be ok, but if they're not able to understand they should have one, even if it is only just for a bit

I don't want to address my child in particular. I just want to see the overall opinion of the people here. To see what the "vibe" of the Deaf community here is on this point.

[I don't want to address my child in particular. I just want to see the overall opinion of the people here. To see what the "vibe" of the Deaf community here is on this point/QUOTE]You're kidding, right?? :lol:

[I don't want to address my child in particular. I just want to see the overall opinion of the people here. To see what the "vibe" of the Deaf community here is on this point/QUOTE]You're kidding, right?? :lol:

I just want them to answer the poll. I want to see it in writing!

In my opinion, no.

I dont really think deaf children should be in oral schools, they have enough struggles with learning to hear, and forcing them to totally speak alone is just adding to their stress. I believe in Signing and speaking. I think signing also helps with spoken language. I went to a deaf primary school which used signing and speech, the children were encouraged to use their voices at all times but are allowed to sign when they want to. There is no pressure in the school i went to in having to speak. They just wanted us to be happy, learn and to be able to communicate and have language, sign or spoken or both

No honestly, oral is best done one-on-one than in a classroom full of hearing including the teacher. But,if mainstreamed with an interpreter then I don't mind. I'm sure they wouldn't allowed that. It is just tough for a deaf child to reply on lip reading 6 hours a day (Mon to Fri) with no sign language.;)

No honestly, oral is best done one-on-one than in a classroom full of hearing including the teacher. But,if mainstreamed with an interpreter then I don't mind. I'm sure they wouldn't allowed that. It would just be tough for a deaf child to reply on lip reading 6 hours a day (Mon to Fri) with no sign language.;)

Not all deaf kids lipread ;)

Not all deaf kids lipread ;)

Yes; that's true and I know not all deaf people can speak either, some do, some don't and some just don't care for it. On the other hand it comes with years of practice. Some deaf people thinks oral is a form of abuse because they've been force to practice and been struggled with it.

I think it's okay as I've been in Oral school from age of 16 months old to 3rd grade, then I mainstreamed to public school all the way until I graduated from High school. I'm still friends with the kids that I have gone to school with in Oral school.... I have about 15 friends from Oral school that's about 19 to 20 years worth of friendship.

I learned a lot from Oral school, the lip reading and the speech. But the only bad thing I didn't learn from Oral school is the Deaf Culture. I didn't know what sign languages was until 6th grade when I met group of deaf teens that went to same middle school as I did. They mainstreamed from WSD while I mainstreamed from Tucker Maxon. It was eye opening... not all deaf people are like me who went to Oral school.

Ever since, I have deaf friends who's not oral and deaf friends who is oral. The irony is that most of my friends who went to Tucker has picked up the ASL and now we frequently use ASL whenever we are together. Sadly, I don't really have much Hearing friends...just one or two hearing friends.

So I honestly think Oral school is okay, if it's all deaf kids with hearing teacher.... not mixed with deaf kids and hearing kids like Tucker is doing right now. I'm not liking what Tucker Maxon is doing right now, having hearing kids be with deaf kids when the deaf kids are trying to learn how to speak and read lips. I just feel like it would take teacher's attention away from the deaf kids, to teach them those things while the hearing kids are in the class with them.

I just want them to answer the poll. I want to see it in writing!

As of now, it is 50% who voted no. You got it in writing. For a school for the deaf, I would go with a common denominator. Not all deaf kids can lipread or hear but all deaf/hard of hearing kids can sign. The common denominator is ASL so go with the flow. Just use common sense when it comes to deaf education.

As of now, it is 50% who voted no. You got it in writing. For a school for the deaf, I would go with a common denominator. Not all deaf kids can lipread or hear but all deaf/hard of hearing kids can sign. The common denominator is ASL so go with the flow. Just use common sense when it comes to deaf education.

Ah, but doesn't that mean 50% think it is ok at least some of the time? I am surprised, I thought the against would be much higher.

Don't forget to bring your bib attending an oral school since the oralists foul their mouths while talking there, you know! :lol:

Cheri, GOOD POINT!!!!! Even many oral sucesses have issues orally beyond one on one situtions.
I don't agree with a full time oral placement. However, I DO agree with parttime, since most of the talented speech therapists are drawn to the private programs, and private programs are often the only resource for a dhh kid to learn how to speak.

Don't forget to bring your bib attending an oral school since the oralists foul their mouths while talking there, you know! :lol:

I would be comfortable wearing a face shield to block out all that yucky stuff. :D

DM_UvexFace.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back