• No

Votes: 31 48.4%
  • Maybe or sometimes

Votes: 14 21.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
DM_UvexFace.jpg

Yeah, something like that. Thanks, Jiro.

oh, and the mainstream placement.....You really cannot generalize. However, think of it this way. Why is it that the very same people who idealize the mainstream as the perfect place for a dhh kid, are also the same people who bash public schools?
The trouble with public schools is that they are TOO "one size fits all" Did you know that a lot of GIFTED kids tend to really underachieve at public school?
I think going to a regional "magnet" school where there's a sizable base of dhh kids, is a good option. It's a FACT that the gross majority of mainstream educators do not have all that much training in how to teach kids with more classic disabilites. Sure, its good that the kids who can acheive with minimal accomondations are in the mainstream, but if you don't suceed with really good accomondations you're lumped into the underclass of kids who are " Ummm who's President so and so?" That happened with ME.
When people yap on and on about the benifits of a mainstream education, they are usually thinking about a middle or upper class suburban school ...Sorry, but not everyone has the benifits of helicopter parents....

The answer is no and I think sign language like ASL is the way to go into the Deaf education. It is a lot less stress and easier on the eyes than trying to lipread what people say. Lipreading is hell so sign language is important in the Deaf school or mainstream school. Don't say not all deaf students. I am tire of that.

This is something that I'm struggling with myself... so my opinion... at the moment my son is in an Oral environment (basically he's in daycare there b/c he's only 1) but I think he'll be missing out if I don't give him the option of ASL as well... I'm already looking at a Bi/Bi school for him

As for Mainstreamed... I have no opinion on that YET!

In my opinion it truely depends on the child and their capabilities...

I was mainstreamed from 3 to 11 with PHU (partily hearing unit) I did very well with minimum assistance. Boarded at 11 at a oral private school, although i hated it, i was isolated (i think it's because of combination of moving house to new area where there is no hearing friends to go home to and being with deaf children mostly from all over UK and trying to fit in after 8years in hearing environment) I was determined to attend hearing College with Note taker (person that writes whats on the board/teach said so i can conterate on lipreading the teacher/other students). I did at 16 and had the happiest 4 years. BUT i think my deaf school had helped me to lead a independant life, I had intensive speech therapy, is of small class (mainstream was 30 kids, at deaf school was between 7 to 12 kids, college was 30 students), the classrooms were mostly wall proofed to stop too much noise from outside.

So it's pretty 50/50 for me...

Edited to say, My mainstream school life, there was BSL signing teacher but I rarely used her, I was put with hearing peers while there were table of 4 or 5 deaf kids who rely on BSL in corner near the class teacher. I was in the middle and faced to the class teacher all through my primary school years and did pretty well (well enough to win scholarship to private deaf school) I only needed my BSL teacher if i was stuck at maths or understanding english but otherwise i was very comfortable in this environment. I had choices.

I think they meant for spitting out when they learn how to speak. :shrug:

I voted: No.

I do not support school for just Oral.

I beleive in sign languages come first before learn to speak.

I voted: No.

I do not support school for just Oral.

I beleive in sign languages come first before learn to speak.

same here. unfortunately for me - I learned oral first. it was very difficult.

I am oral severe HOH person (85 db range) who attended mainstreamed public school from Kindergarten to 12th grade. I was alone and depressed about the situation in my entire Junior AND high school years including elementary school too. I never had a deaf friend before and I still don't. To make it worst, I had people making fun of me and I was alone in my own battle.

Being in a public mainstreamed school without interpreter means I will be left out in other subjects like science and math. I spend my entire school years writing notes and reading text books but never understood what the teacher said. I did mostly self study. I had to figure out my own math problems. I had to cram in my studies because I was afraid that my teacher taught something in class that I missed. In the result, my brain became a data overload and crashed :P (meaning I failed some tests because I didn't study well, I was too busy worrying what I missed in class in case it is on my test. I worried because it happened often, that some of the questions on the test are the ones I missed in class)

When I went to my local community college, my professor did not write anything on the board for me to help me learn visually (he explain things verbally). It got extremely hard because I didn't know what I was doing and was lost.

reading lips and such is hard work and I did wanted to take a break from all that when learning other subjects like history and science... I wished I did know sign languages.

Oh well. I turn out fine though. and I still have my hearing friends sometimes if they are in the mood to put up with me.

btw, I also think being oralist would be nice break from sign language too. :)

I hope I helped some of the young mothers deciding what's best for their deaf child...

If you asked me, I would say use the full toolbox : ASL, signed english (to help them with their writing), and oral

It seem to me that the most well adjusted deaf people are the ones had some visual signing.

I hope I helped some of the young mothers deciding what's best for their deaf child...

If you asked me, I would say use the full toolbox : ASL, signed english (to help them with their writing), and oral

It seem to me that the most well adjusted deaf people are the ones had some visual signing.

even if the parents really want kids to be able to hear so bad. Will you mention about the CI or referring them to talk to someone else who really want kids to be able to hear and provided their kids who have CI already?

i know it is not related with oral school.

When people yap on and on about the benifits of a mainstream education, they are usually thinking about a middle or upper class suburban school ...Sorry, but not everyone has the benifits of helicopter parents....

I agree with this. I was lucky to have parents who were able to afford to take me to a private school where the classes were smaller. I don't think I'd do as well in a large public school.

However, this also applies to deaf schools, when people yap on about going to a deaf school, they also assume it has great education, quality, and accomodations.

In reality, it has nothing to do with the school being deaf or oral or public or bi bi or whatever. It has to do with balancing the quality, costs, and accomodation for you or your child. We like to say "Oh we'd move and pay ANYTHING for whatever the child needs", but that's not reality.

I voted that it is okay to go to an oral school as long the parents don't make assumptions about how "little Bobby is gonna do just fine!". It is a risk though.

Thank you-- your story is helping, me at least!! (just wanted to let you know! :hug: )

I am oral severe HOH person (85 db range) who attended mainstreamed public school from Kindergarten to 12th grade. I was alone and depressed about the situation in my entire Junior AND high school years including elementary school too. I never had a deaf friend before and I still don't. To make it worst, I had people making fun of me and I was alone in my own battle.

Being in a public mainstreamed school without interpreter means I will be left out in other subjects like science and math. I spend my entire school years writing notes and reading text books but never understood what the teacher said. I did mostly self study. I had to figure out my own math problems. I had to cram in my studies because I was afraid that my teacher taught something in class that I missed. In the result, my brain became a data overload and crashed :P (meaning I failed some tests because I didn't study well, I was too busy worrying what I missed in class in case it is on my test. I worried because it happened often, that some of the questions on the test are the ones I missed in class)

When I went to my local community college, my professor did not write anything on the board for me to help me learn visually (he explain things verbally). It got extremely hard because I didn't know what I was doing and was lost.

reading lips and such is hard work and I did wanted to take a break from all that when learning other subjects like history and science... I wished I did know sign languages.

Oh well. I turn out fine though. and I still have my hearing friends sometimes if they are in the mood to put up with me.

btw, I also think being oralist would be nice break from sign language too. :)

Your story is my story too. Everything I experienced was almost a mirror image of what u experienced.

Parents do not always know what's best for their deaf children. Usually, they see it from a hearing perspective and decide that's the best for their deaf child. It takes a special parent to be able to step outside of the box and see things in a different perspective.

What an awful experience for you. I'm sorry to hear about that. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back