Votes: 19 29.7%
  • No

Votes: 31 48.4%
  • Maybe or sometimes

Votes: 14 21.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The poll didn't specify if the child in question could have a CI or not, so assuming they could, I chose Sometimes. I chose sometimes because there ARE CI kids who do amazing with their CIs, and can do just fine in an oral placement with no services.

Most kids though, don't achieve that level of performance with their CIs, so this type of placement would absolutely have to be based on the child. You couldn't just stick any kid in an oral placement and expect them to succeed.

I also think a deaf child can thrive in a mainstream placement, but that also depends on the child and their needs, in addition to the program itself.

We are going through this right now. My daughter is in a mainstream program with an interpreter (she's primarily oral, but needs lipreading and sign to get full value out of the curriculum). The public school she is in has a great program. The staff are all very knowledgeable about deafness and how to teach a visual learner. She is average or above average in all subjects and integrates well with both the hearing and deaf kids in the school.

Our home district wants to change her placement to the mainstream at our home school with the services she has now (if they can pull them together). However, the staff at this school have no experience with deafness, and have no idea how to teach a deaf child. The student body hasn't been exposed to deaf kids either, so she will be completely 'different'. She will be the only deaf child there. I do not see how she can succeed in this placement at all. It's one thing to be a deaf child in a hearing class with people who 'get' you, but quite another to be a deaf child in a hearing class where no one understands what to do with you. That child is destined to fail somewhere down the road...

I chose Sometimes. I chose sometimes because there ARE CI kids who do amazing with their CIs, and can do just fine in an oral placement with no services.
True, but it seems like those are the kids who would have done well orally or in the mainstream even before that public law that encouraged mainstreaming.

Cheri, GOOD POINT!!!!! Even many oral sucesses have issues orally beyond one on one situtions.
I don't agree with a full time oral placement. However, I DO agree with parttime, since most of the talented speech therapists are drawn to the private programs, and private programs are often the only resource for a dhh kid to learn how to speak.

:ty:

They are usually cited as "proof" that mainstreaming works. But if they were the type that were sucessful pre PL that encouraged mainstreaming, then they don't really represent the average dhh kid.

No honestly, oral is best done one-on-one than in a classroom full of hearing including the teacher. But,if mainstreamed with an interpreter then I don't mind. I'm sure they wouldn't allowed that. It is just tough for a deaf child to reply on lip reading 6 hours a day (Mon to Fri) with no sign language.;)

Yes, my hubby experienced it. It´s very stress for him to read his teacher´s lip for long hous during lesson time.

My hubby speak out of his experience and prefer to have teacher to use sign language to boost his education than learn to watch teacher´s lips for long 6 to 8 hours a day.

If I have a deaf child, we would support bi-bi but I am not for just sign languge but sign language come first to boost deaf students self-estreem and also education before learn to write English and speak.

Your story is my story too. Everything I experienced was almost a mirror image of what u experienced.

Parents do not always know what's best for their deaf children. Usually, they see it from a hearing perspective and decide that's the best for their deaf child. It takes a special parent to be able to step outside of the box and see things in a different perspective.

Very true...

same here. unfortunately for me - I learned oral first. it was very difficult.

Yes, you are not alone.. My hubby was also, too.

He learn sign language later thru his peers.

They are usually cited as "proof" that mainstreaming works. But if they were the type that were sucessful pre PL that encouraged mainstreaming, then they don't really represent the average dhh kid.

A typical student in a public school is ehh..

A typical student in a deaf school is ehh..

A typical student in an oral program is ehh...

Ever heard of "Half of the people you know is below average"?

The question is... in a school, do we look at the "success" of the typical kid? Or do we look at the "success" of the most "successful" kids?

In other words, do we look at what is the kid MORE likely to be, or what the kid COULD be?

Well, I did it and survived it and am a relatively happy adult.

But, I have no friends from school days.

Embarrassingly my only friend was a girl who became a special ed teacher. I think she was my friend as thinking of me a practice student for her. We stayed friends but she died of cancer.

I was awfully lonely.

isnt pretty cruel for a hoh/deaf kid to experience that kind of lonelyness?

Well obviously I think so. Were you asking someone else? :shrug:

my mistake, I read your post wrong.

I experienced similar lonelyness. I was hoh and mainstreamed. I never quite fit in.

I question whether the education benefits is worth the social experience.:hmm:

no.

while some kids have been pretty lucky in turning out successful, there are still many others who have not been so lucky. all children have their own unique needs and asl is the only language that is accessible to all. oralism or being mainstreamed without an interpreter is NOT accessible to all.

with that being said, i believe that kids should be offered everything and the school system should be flexible to accommodate their needs. there needs to be some kind of monitoring tool to ensure that children are keeping up to par with their peers. if they are not keeping up to par to their peers, then their communication system or approach in learning needs to be changed so that the child does not lag too far behind.

I hate my oral school. They made me waste my education and life. I was very poor education except math and some science. Oral made me limited education. I was very very fraid to use sign language or fingerspelling. If they catch any students use gesture or sign language. They used wood stick bang on your hands.

I went to deaf school. Learn many new words in sign languages. They made me feel catch up education but still not complete education. Sometime, I cry, why my parents sent me to oral school. Where is my dream to have higher education degree in Bachelor or Master or Phd.

I would love to say big thank to Roz Rosen, Tom Coughin, Mary Yeh, some staffs and students. They helped me hugh improve education.

If, I never transfer to deaf school. What happen to my life. Probably worst life in mental hospital or not smart enough or nut person.

Also, I refuse to attend reunion (oral school). I heard that some my old classmate wants to see me. Not see all my ex-classmate for over 35 years.

Yes, I am very angry at Oral school. Strong against oral school!!!

I hate my oral school. They made me waste my education and life. I was very poor education except math and some science. Oral made me limited education. I was very very fraid to use sign language or fingerspelling. If they catch any students use gesture or sign language. They used wood stick bang on your hands.

I went to deaf school. Learn many new words in sign languages. They made me feel catch up education but still not complete education. Sometime, I cry, why my parents sent me to oral school. Where is my dream to have higher education degree in Bachelor or Master or Phd.

I would love to say big thank to Roz Rosen, Tom Coughin, Mary Yeh, some staffs and students. They helped me hugh improve education.

If, I never transfer to deaf school. What happen to my life. Probably worst life in mental hospital or not smart enough or nut person.

Also, I refuse to attend reunion (oral school). I heard that some my old classmate wants to see me. Not see all my ex-classmate for over 35 years.

Yes, I am very angry at Oral school. Strong against oral school!!!

Sent you a PM. Check it out.

For a while, I confused oral school with mainstream school. I can't say whether I'm for or against oral schools because I personally don't have experience with any, except for Clarke School. And it seemed pretty bad to me. (Sorry to those who did go to Clarke). Of course, the experience of one oral school does not describe the others. However, I'd be more concerned about the quality of a school than the method of the school.....

Similiar to my bad experience from oral school and poor education. You know how much I hate oral school!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPB1U6H_nZc&feature=channel_page]YouTube - Abuse used by teacher who followed the philosophy of Oralism[/ame]

For a while, I confused oral school with mainstream school. I can't say whether I'm for or against oral schools because I personally don't have experience with any, except for Clarke School. And it seemed pretty bad to me. (Sorry to those who did go to Clarke). Of course, the experience of one oral school does not describe the others. However, I'd be more concerned about the quality of a school than the method of the school.....

I assume that oral school means mainstreamed orally or oral deaf schools themselves. Just an assumption as I dont have any experience of going to an oral school either. :dunno:

For some reason I don't like the word, "Oral School".

It conjures up in my mind--oral sex. :lol:

For some reason I don't like the word, "Oral School".

It conjures up in my mind--oral sex. :lol:

Ditto... I tend to say Adam goes to a verbal school LOL (thought I might be the only one who had that issue :D )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back