Offensive??

Adamsmomma

Reaction score
I'm just wondering from a hearing mom's perspective--

Does anyone find the term "hearing impaired" offensive when they're deaf or Hoh??

I have referred to Adam that way b/c that's how the doctor referred to him-- not 'deaf'. It's silly but I saw a T-shirt online that said "I'm deaf- not IMPAIRED" and it got me thinking-- you know I don't see Adam as 'impaired' but he is deaf/hoh-- is it that's the more 'professional/medical' way to say deaf/hoh??

Is it a matter of preference?? I guess I'm so afraid of bein 'naive' about what's right or what's wrong that I'll say the wrong thing-- and hurt someone's feelings...

So just chime in if you have a preference or a particular feeling about the term 'hearing impaired'...

Thanks again!!! :)

:shrug: since I'm also a hearie but I always thought (or heard it being said that way), that the word deaf to be insulting... and instead of using the word deaf, you're supposed to use the word hoh...

Or maybe it's just in Europe... If I were to be either deaf or hoh, I wouldn't find it insulting because I would be either deaf or hoh...

I hope I didn't offense anybody by saying so...

:D Jamie

Deaf Culture Class

I'm just wondering from a hearing mom's perspective--

Does anyone find the term "hearing impaired" offensive when they're deaf or Hoh??

I have referred to Adam that way b/c that's how the doctor referred to him-- not 'deaf'. It's silly but I saw a T-shirt online that said "I'm deaf- not IMPAIRED" and it got me thinking-- you know I don't see Adam as 'impaired' but he is deaf/hoh-- is it that's the more 'professional/medical' way to say deaf/hoh??

Is it a matter of preference?? I guess I'm so afraid of bein 'naive' about what's right or what's wrong that I'll say the wrong thing-- and hurt someone's feelings...

So just chime in if you have a preference or a particular feeling about the term 'hearing impaired'...

Thanks again!!! :)

They talked about this in the Deaf Culture class I took in the 1990's. I am hearing and I think of this term as hearing legal jargon phrase.

It is considered offensive to say this in Deaf Culture (general rule).

My friends prefer deaf. Some like HOH. Just ask them first. :) Everyone has different feelings about it. I just try to be respectful and don't assume.

I find it tasteless to say "hearing impaired."

I'm DEAF and proud of it. :D

Awesome DBG... this is what I looking for LOL...

I have a feeling many, many more will feel the way you do-- I hope Adam is one of them!! :) I just hadn't thought about it until I saw that shirt...

Thanks!!!!

They talked about this in the Deaf Culture class I took in the 1990's. I am hearing and I think of this term as hearing legal jargon phrase.

It is considered offensive to say this in Deaf Culture (general rule).

My friends prefer deaf. Some like HOH. Just ask them first. :) Everyone has different feelings about it. I just try to be respectful and don't assume.

yes exactly what JMackay said. the terms "deaf" and "HOH" are now generally accepted terms. the term "hearing impaired" is not well-received.

I am waiting for someone to say that the term HoH is offensive because it has the word "hard" in it, implying that their lives are hard and depressing. :whistle:

yes exactly what JMackay said. the terms "deaf" and "HOH" are now generally accepted terms. the term "hearing impaired" is not well-received.

Glad I've stopped referring to Adam as 'hearing impaired'~~ especially as I learn more about the culture in a whole and not just about the medical side of his deafness... if that makes sense???

I am waiting for someone to say that the term HoH is offensive because it has the word "hard" in it, implying that their lives are hard and depressing. :whistle:

i'm HoH and it's not offensive to me :lol:

It depends on the individual and where it's used.

"Hearing Impaired" is a politically correct term for a person who has hearing loss.

That's what is likely to be said by a doctor, nurse, lawyer, insurance companies, etc.

"Deaf" is more of a slang term that is short for "Hearing Impaired".

If you're talking to another person, it's fine to say "deaf" since it's simple and easier to understand.

I do the same thing with others. I refer to myself as "deaf" to other hearing people... "hard-of-hearing" to other deaf people... and "hearing impaired" to formal places like insurance companies, courthouses, etc.

"Hearing Impaired" is a politically correct term for a person who has hearing loss.

That's what is likely to be said by a doctor, nurse, lawyer, insurance companies, etc.

If you're talking to another person, it's fine to say "deaf" since it's simple and easier to understand.

I do the same thing with others. I refer to myself as "deaf" to other hearing people... "hard-of-hearing" to other deaf people... and "hearing impaired" to formal places like insurance companies, courthouses, etc.

This is what I thought...

Interesting how you describe it differently to different people... I can understand it though...

:lol: That's a good one.

As for me just say Deaf.

I have always preferred the word "deaf" myself. However, employers and co-workers have told me in the past that "deaf" sounds more scary than "hearing impaired". Some think that you just have some hearing loss if you're just hearing impaired, whereas if you're deaf you're totally deaf, stupid, etc. even though that is NOT true. So I have occasionally referred to myself as hearing impaired, depending on the circumstances.

that's what I was getting at

Since legal jargon is considered "politically correct", most hearing people don't think about it because it's supposed to be ok or polite in hearing culture to say that. If they haven't been exposed to a class on Deaf Culture or haven't had contact with ASL or learning about it, they don't know how deaf, HOH, or Deaf feel about it. (So it's good to ask.)

I used to think calling some one deaf might be offensive, too, before I was educated on it. Because the old term deaf and dumb is the worst and to me, the most offensive. Deaf people are not stupid.

Deaf and mute-I am not sure how deaf or Deaf feel about that one.

At this point, I think it gets into semantics.

semantics - definition of semantics by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Just my $0.02.

Since legal jargon is considered "politically correct", most hearing people don't think about it because it's supposed to be ok or polite in hearing culture to say that. If they haven't been exposed to a class on Deaf Culture or haven't had contact with ASL or learning about it, they don't know how deaf, HOH, or Deaf feel about it. (So it's good to ask.)

I used to think calling some one deaf might be offensive, too, before I was educated on it. Because the old term deaf and dumb is the worst and to me, the most offensive. Deaf people are not stupid.

Deaf and mute-I am not sure how deaf or Deaf feel about that one.

At this point, I think it gets into semantics.

semantics - definition of semantics by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Just my $0.02.

Yeah, It's a political correct term but that does not mean we always should get upset about it. It's just how they have been taught it one way or another. I think they keep referring it to the "Impaired" issue because - It's sort of locked in along with the batches of various labels that comes with it.

The interesting thing is; Impaired is defined as diminished, damaged, or weakened.

So, in retrospect of having it being derived to establish a political correct term - That is when they get to add the "hearing" stance to it.

It may be making sense after all our "hearing" levels as a deaf person are diminished, damaged or weakened. However, When it comes to the culture thing - It shouldn't be referred to being impaired because we are not damaged as a whole. It just means that we just can't hear.

To answer your question about Deaf and Mute thing - That term was heavily used in the 20th century. As of now in the 21st Century, It's been lessened down and I hardly see that term these days. Being able to speak, I always refer myself as a Deaf person, not a Deaf Mute person. I don't think I've seen any one as of yet feeling offensive of it.

The term is degrading but the person who uses to to label me may not use it as any intention to offend deaf/hoh people. The word "impaired" is negative as if I or others are impaired as people.

Back