Meat eater VS vegetarian/vegan

How are farmers supposed to prevent Brucillosis in a child who drank unpastuerized milk? Don't sell unpasteurized milk to the general public, that's how.

Babies can't have honey either if you don't want them to get botulism. But I buy and consume raw honey.

It could be available with education that children should not have it.

Babies can't have honey either if you don't want them to get botulism. But I buy and consume raw honey.

It could be available with education that children should not have it.

This is true. And it is widely known that unpastuerized milk is harmful for babies, young children, and those who are medically compromised. But there are also those who would feed the product to that population based on some mistaken idea that is better.

I do recognize those links, Boult. It's been a long while since I saw those in my father's old USDA newsletters.

Have farmers test their soils on the farm. Make sure the soils has right minerals to keep the herds of cattle healthy. The cows with mineral deficiencies are more susceptible to brucellious. The soils have had been tested successfully and repeatedly reported in the soil chemistry and agriculture articles in the past regarding brucellious, but it has been ignored. The problem with migration- animals are introduced and consume crops grown in imbalance soils tend to have metabolic problems. It takes soil testing to correct the right balance in soil.

I have read various things about the raw vs. pasteurized dairy debate and think that probably for many adults who do want to consume dairy, raw is just fine, especially if they develop a relationship with a local farmer through cowshare.

I routinely use raw honey. Raw buckwheat is our favorite.

There was time when I was in college I thought "everyone should be" vegan.
Now I think that is a very ethno-centric statement - not taking into account the perspectives, cultures and living situations of many of the people around the world.

for the last several years, hubby and I have been getting a local, pastured turkey as compromise solution to parent's desire to have traditional Thanksgiving meal. This turkey - not so expensive as certified organic and local, but not factory-farmed, supports local farmer-

oftentimes, local farmers do have organic meats but just not certified due to expenses with National Organic Program. We have often gotten organic chicken and turkey at farmer's markets that could not be sold in store as "organic" but that's what it was.

That's true, Dogmom.

Several years ago, CA state law passed that all raw almonds must be pasteurized sold at retail stores, including Trader Joes due to the deaths of a few people being consumed from raw almonds (unpasteurized), which is rare. The problem is the stores continue to label packages "raw" almonds, but they are pasteurized. Legally, it is the only way to purchase raw almonds directly at the farms in CA.

In terms of processed food, you have to look at each type individually. If you go with no processed foods, there is a significant(possibly immediate) health risk so we shouldn't be excluding all of it. Having said that, not everything that is organic is truly healthy(actually risky) due to agricultural issues.

So, how do you determine what to use? You look to see if the farms have problems with salmonella or ecoli, etc and make a decision on whether to use that brand's retail in the future.

There is not one size fits all rule.

My father has the problem with the farms continuing to use the word label- organic, when it is not. He has seen it too many times at many farms. It is very misleading. They continue to label organic just because they choose to not spray pesticides or use synthetic fertilizers, but the soil has already been affected in the past due to chemicals still grow "organic" crops. If you test their soils, and it fails, then you know it is bad.

Archer Farms <Target's organic label brand here> got into trouble with that too

I have read various things about the raw vs. pasteurized dairy debate and think that probably for many adults who do want to consume dairy, raw is just fine, especially if they develop a relationship with a local farmer through cowshare.

I routinely use raw honey. Raw buckwheat is our favorite.

There was time when I was in college I thought "everyone should be" vegan.
Now I think that is a very ethno-centric statement - not taking into account the perspectives, cultures and living situations of many of the people around the world.

for the last several years, hubby and I have been getting a local, pastured turkey as compromise solution to parent's desire to have traditional Thanksgiving meal. This turkey - not so expensive as certified organic and local, but not factory-farmed, supports local farmer-

oftentimes, local farmers do have organic meats but just not certified due to expenses with National Organic Program. We have often gotten organic chicken and turkey at farmer's markets that could not be sold in store as "organic" but that's what it was.

I use raw local honey, too, as a way to help control my respiratory allergies. But I would never feed it to a child. Adults have more mature immune systems (unless they suffer from immune suppression) and therefore, metabolize and tolerate substances differently than a child with an immature immune system. That was my point. I see you got it.:ty:

Wirelessly posted

meat eater versus vegetarian/vegan and mass production, animal cruelty to feedstock and disgusting food addition in food we didnt expect to find are he topic.... debate.

it's hard though, to stay vegan.

Hey, I am a semi-veggie. I only eat fish and scrambled eggs for breakfast because they contain Omega-3. I realized that all fishes eat the seaweeds that also contains Omega-3. I am not sure why many people eat fish instead of the seaweeds. Isn't that interesting?

I have tried some different brands of vegan cheeses because they have no flavor. My favorite raw cheese is extra sharp. I have been searching a vegan that has sharp cheese (perhaps with flavor) and no luck to find one.

For tuna, there was a company that sold "fake" tuna cans in Florida. They sold them to some health food stores for a couple of years until it went out of business a few years ago. I was very disappointed. I bought that tuna cans, and it was very good - it taste like a real tuna. I thought that you might like to know about this tuna company. It's really too bad that it's gone.

hmm. lets picture this scenario. its in the middle of winter. you had a bad summer of collecting and storing your crop. ground is frozen. out of food. need food. you see a brown bunny hopping along on the snow. or a deer. no trees for miles for eating bark or making tea from pine needles. now what?
come spring.you survived. are you still a vegetarian? or just a mix? is eating wildlife a cruelty? Mother nature provided us a way for having a circle of life for thousands of years.

On the other hand, many people becomes vegetarians in a protest in animal cruelty because they are trying to feed the world without depleting the wildlife animals.

Why not have your own farm? raise animals the way you want?

Here's the problem with that scenario. That is not where we started out, in cold climates. We started out in the tropics, and as we moved out of the tropics for some reason, we started to encounter winter and learn how to survive the colder climates. By then, we learned how to make tools, fire, clothes, and fire our foods. AND we forgot about our roots by that time. Before we could forget our roots, we had to come to terms with the fact that if we were to survive the cold weather, we were going to have to give up access to fruits and vegetables that don't naturally grow and ripen during the winter time.

My boyfriend and I are vegans. It's been about two years. Before that, I was an ovo-lacto vegetarian for about ten years.

I like to mess with people when they ask me about being vegan. They say, "Is it difficult?" And I respond, "It's a pain in the ass!" I mean, it IS, but there are more and more options out there for vegans, and I'm finding some really KILLER recipes and discovering that I really love some veggies I never thought I would like.

We grow some of our own food, but we have not started playing with preservation yet. On our little, tiny plot, we manage to supply about 1/3 to 1/2 of our needs.

Jen M>

I tried to be vegetarian once but failed, due to healthy reasons. So, I stopped trying because it won't help at all. But, I REALLY HATE when stupid vegans and vegetarians bitched at me for not becoming one of them without understanding my reasons. UGH. FUCK THEM. :mad:

Back