"Importance of Morphemic Awareness to Reading Achievement..."

so what are your thought on it?

Where is the study that shows the correlation between SEE and morphemic awareness...this article failed to provide that.

My professional opinion as a language teacher of the deaf: for teaching phonemic awareness, including morphs, use cue speech, not SEE. I'm really surprised deaf schools with strong bi-bi philosophy so not embrace cue speech for literacy development. I guess cue speech is greatly misunderstood in terms of what it really can do for deaf students. It is the diamond in the rough.

People should read the article in it's entirety if they are interested, but pages 12 & 13 adress morphemic awareness and ability to decode words, reading comprehension etc.

I agree that Cued Speech can be another effective tool in teaching students how the different sounds are articulated.

Yes, Cued Speech can be a great teaching tool. It has been stated here several times.

There is Visual Phonics as well.

Where is the study that shows the correlation between SEE and morphemic awareness...this article failed to provide that.

My professional opinion as a language teacher of the deaf: for teaching phonemic awareness, including morphs, use cue speech, not SEE. I'm really surprised deaf schools with strong bi-bi philosophy so not embrace cue speech for literacy development. I guess cue speech is greatly misunderstood in terms of what it really can do for deaf students. It is the diamond in the rough.
Agree. Wish we had Cued Speech when Lotte was diagnosed... but unfortunately it does not exist in Norway and is not used in The Netherlands.

Loml was the expert on it over here, but the anti-Cued-Speech mob gave her a hard time..

Agree. Wish we had Cued Speech when Lotte was diagnosed... but unfortunately it does not exist in Norway and is not used in The Netherlands.

Loml was the expert on it over here, but the anti-Cued-Speech mob gave her a hard time..

Why do you want cued speech? I thought she's having a great success with CI since she can hear thru telephone, between rooms, whispering, etc.

and what's wrong with using ASL in place of Cued Speech?

Why do you want cued speech? I thought she's having a great success with CI since she can hear thru telephone, between rooms, whispering, etc.

and what's wrong with using ASL in place of Cued Speech?

So Jiro, what I inferred from Cloggy's post is that he "agreed" Cued Speech can be an additional effective tool.

Have you read the article this thread is about?

So Jiro, what I inferred from Cloggy's post is that he "agreed" Cued Speech can be an additional effective tool.

Have you read the article this thread is about?

Judging from a string of your misunderstanding and misassumption in a very short time... I'd prefer if you don't answer questions that's not directed to you.

:ty:

So Jiro, have you read the article this thread is about? Any thoughts?

So Jiro, have you read the article this thread is about? Any thoughts?

You already know what my stance is. I don't support ANY broken, flawed, ineffective, defective, incomplete, confusing language for ANY reason.

I am not at all convinced by it. I'm deaf and I've never had any form of so-called "Signing Morphemes" when learning English so I guess I can certifiably conclude that this method is clearly an epic fail. I fail to understand why must hearing people continue to develop more and more complex tools to help deaf people to learn English when BiBi (ASL and English) method is a proven method.

Look at Grendel and FJ and their daughters. It clearly worked for them just fine. Don't you think it raises any concern if there are dozens of methods to help deaf people to learn English especially since these methods are not widely used?

Wirelessly posted (droid)

The best skill you can give your child for academic success is reading. Children who read for pleasure at home are the most academically successful. Model reading for enjoyment and make a specific time for your child to read. It will become a habit. This is much more important than oral speech. Backed up by solid research. Not citing anything because I'm not your research monkey. lol And I'm too tired.

You already know what my stance is. I don't support ANY broken, flawed, ineffective, defective, incomplete, confusing language for ANY reason.

I am not at all convinced by it. I'm deaf and I've never had any form of so-called "Signing Morphemes" when learning English so I guess I can certifiably conclude that this method is clearly an epic fail. I fail to understand why must hearing people continue to develop more and more complex tools to help deaf people to learn English when BiBi (ASL and English) method is a proven method.

Look at Grendel and FJ and their daughters. It clearly worked for them just fine. Don't you think it raises any concern if there are dozens of methods to help deaf people to learn English especially since these methods are not widely used?

So, you haven't read the study and you're in this thread posting because...

Just so you know, the article adresses all modes of communication and the ability to master English. It doesn't solely focus on SEE- it focus' on English. If you had read the article you would have seen that.

The best skill you can give your child for academic success is reading. Children who read for pleasure at home are the most academically successful. Model reading for enjoyment and make a specific time for your child to read. It will become a habit. This is much more important than oral speech. Backed up by solid research. Not citing anything because I'm not your research monkey. lol And I'm too tired.

exactly.

All we have to do is refer to immigrant children whose first language isn't English. They did not learn English from some whacked form of language invented by English people such Spanglish or Spanalala or Spananana.

What works for immigrant children will surely work same for deaf children. Both can be bilingual. Both knowing, learning, and communicating bilingually did not interfere with their progress to learn English.

I agree Sallylou. I was an avid reader as a child, and to this day I still love to read. My son has inherited my passion for books, and we always enjoy storytime. Even my youngest who will be 2 on Halloween goes and grabs books for us to read together. I have a pretty decent vocabulary, and I've always been good at spelling. I attribute that to my reading as a child/adolescent.

So, you haven't read the study and you're in this thread posting because...

Just so you know, the article adresses all modes of communication and the ability to master English. It doesn't solely focus on SEE- it focus' on English. If you had read the article you would have seen that.

Did I specifically mention SEE in my post? Do you not understand what my post clearly said?

You are misunderstanding and assuming again. I have to ask you - do you have a learning disability or dyslexia? So that I can respond to you in a way that you can understand better. And also - please let me know if you need any help in understanding my previous post.

I agree Sallylou. I was an avid reader as a child, and to this day I still love to read. My son has inherited my passion for books, and we always enjoy storytime. Even my youngest who will be 2 on Halloween goes and grabs books for us to read together. I have a pretty decent vocabulary, and I've always been good at spelling. I attribute that to my reading as a child/adolescent.

perhaps that might explains your frequent cases of misunderstanding and misassumption. You seem to selectively scan our posts for certain vocabulary.

I too was an avid reader as a toddler and because of that - I developed a keen skill in reading comprehension at earlier age and even reading between lines. My vocabulary skill came later as I grew up because I don't emphasize much on words since vocabulary is meaningless if one cannot construct a sentence in a manner that nobody can understand.

Loml was an expert at spamming trying to promote CS all over AD@ spamming is not allowed. It seems u forgot that.

Back