"Importance of Morphemic Awareness to Reading Achievement..."

I thought the majority of the posters on this forum promoted a full toolbox approach teaching Deaf/Hoh children? :confused:

Perhaps. But it seems only the tools "they" approve of.

Funny. There are many paths to an end. Most having the sane goal and ideologies, just some different paths to take. I understand that you can achieve an end in many ways. It seems that some ascribe to the "it's my way or the highway" approach.

Unfortunately, that approach doesn't foster intelligent discussions and conversely turns it into a "who is right" war.

The fact is, we are all right. Some just take a different path- but there is no one right path. I wish others would understand that.

Or at the least, respect others in the meantime. You won't find one post by me where I'm hating on ASL, or others choices. I respect others choices as an individual, depending on their own unique set of circumstances and goals.

I took a couple ASL courses, and there were students pushing SEE and cued speech. They did not fare well. :giggle:

Ok. :giggle: I'm not understanding your point.

There are extremists on both sides of the coin. Those are the ones you have to look out for.

I thought the majority of the posters on this forum promoted a full toolbox approach teaching Deaf/Hoh children? :confused:

SEE as a teaching tool, yes but not as a sole language approach.

Funny. There are many paths to an end. Most having the sane goal and ideologies, just some different paths to take. I understand that you can achieve an end in many ways. It seems that some ascribe to the "it's my way or the highway" approach.

Unfortunately, that approach doesn't foster intelligent discussions and conversely turns it into a "who is right" war.

The fact is, we are all right. Some just take a different path- but there is no one right path. I wish others would understand that.

Or at the least, respect others in the meantime. You won't find one post by me where I'm hating on ASL, or others choices. I respect others choices as an individual, depending on their own unique set of circumstances and goals.

Nobody has ever answered my question..

Would any hearing person accept changing spoken English to follow ASL grammar and use it on hearing children in the educational setting?

Wirelessly posted (droid)

You're not going to get an answer to your legitimate question, shel. Just like no one is going to address the issue that I raised. They have no answer because they are responding from an emotional standpoint. Facts don't count to a person in this mode.

You're not going to get an answer to your legitimate question, shel. Just like no one is going to address the issue that I raised. They have no answer because they are responding from an emotional standpoint. Facts don't count to a person in this mode.

Ok

He does read books- every day. You cannot read and comprehend a language you don't know. I agree it can help with acquiring English, but you have to have a good starting point. You can't just plop a book in front of a child with little to no experience with English and expect them to read and comprehend it's contents.

If he's reading every day, then why are you using SEE to teach him English if he evidently knows it well enough to read.

I didn't hear sound until I was nearly four, started learning to speak after that and I was already reading books six months later. In fact, my very first spoken words, unaided was "my books" for we had forgotten them in the hospital cafeteria. SEE was never necessary.

I am having a hard time understanding your logic for using SEE to teach him his first language English when he would actually have had an easier time learning English had he learned ASL first, thus have had developed language skills.

I am curious why you chose to go this route instead.

Last edited:

You don't just plop a book in front of a deaf kid. You make a sign then show him the word. There's a serious lack of common sense here.

You don't just plop a book in front of a deaf kid. You make a sign then show him the word. There's a serious lack of common sense here.

I learned from seeing a picture associated with a word.

It worked really well. I am hyperliterate, even if that is not actually a word. :D

You help the child visualize the word first. I was very fortunate in that in the early 50's there was a plethora of picture books for children, seemingly most from Disney.

He does read books- every day. You cannot read and comprehend a language you don't know. I agree it can help with acquiring English, but you have to have a good starting point. You can't just plop a book in front of a child with little to no experience with English and expect them to read and comprehend it's contents.

No, you cant read it but you still can show books to deaf children who have no language and start from there. The doctors told my mom not to bother reading with me at 7 months old because I didnt have any language input during those months but my mom ignored them and read to me anyway.

I would also like to add that I have started to read the actual study (sorry got sidetracked by family.) From what I have gleaned thus far, it seems this is a study regarding the methodology of using SEE as a tool to enhance literacy; not necessarly language acquisition?

I'm sorry, but, I just don't see why some people are getting their panties in a twist over that?

We can debate SEE until the cows come home. I do agree that I would NOT use see right out of the gate if I had a deaf child (for aquiring language); but if it were offered to me as a means to facilitate literacy, then yes, I'd try it.

I don't agree with messing around with language acquisition, but that's NOT what we're talking about here. We're talking about literacy skills, and, shoot...I'd throw the kitchen sink at my kid if it that's what it took to help him/her learn to read!

People need to take the time to READ this study and not just comment from emotion, or glossing over the study and deciding they don't like it, so pfft.

Give it a glance. If nothing else, it's an interesting read!

Another good approach is to stick index cards with appropriate words on items. Like tape the word closet on the closet door. All kindergarten teachers do this. The kids pick it up almost by osmosis.

Another good approach is to stick index cards with appropriate words on items. Like tape the word closet on the closet door. All kindergarten teachers do this. The kids pick it up almost by osmosis.

That's what many deaf parents of deaf children do. When their children ask about the words, they expand the concept of the words in ASL.

I'm just pragmatic. If the most important skill is reading, I want to focus on reading. You can try other methods, but I want to focus on what works.
You have to remember that educational fads come and go. Some of the fads are based on paternalistic misconceptions. The ideas tend to cycle. After all, education professors must come up with ideas to get published.
If you haven't read Freakonomics, there's a great chapter on education. Highly recommend the whole book.

That is what I did when I taught VPK. It is one of the requirements from the Early Learning Coalition. Even the shelf had to be labeled with photos and the word to show where that particular toy or item go.

I think that works great!!

Shel, can you comment on whole language and how you use it in your classroom? You are way more qualified than I am on this issue. I don't think that parents are well informed about this. I only know about my experiences with my own kids.

Back