"Importance of Morphemic Awareness to Reading Achievement..."

Loml trolled and often spread misinformation about CS. CS is NOT a mode of communication. It is designed as a teaching tool to SUPPORT ASL users. It has nothing to do with speech, even though itbis called cue "speech." It was designed to function as the bridge for teaching phonetic aspects of English.

Cloggy, if there isn't CS for your spoken language, then I encourage you to develop it. Look at the CS for spoken English as a model. Contact the linguistics department of your local university for support. It takes an average person about 30 hours to learn how to use CS, so using it as a model once you learn the system is very likely. Go for it! Be innovative.

"The longer exposure SEE group Could manipulate phonemes (segmenting, blending, deleting and substituting them), provide synonyms, antonyms, And analogies of read words and phrases, and read more on the list than the shorter exposure group." pg. 13

In a study of 13 deaf students who used SEE aged 7-14...

"Results were that, 'In comparison to their hearing peers, In both vocabulary and reading these students scored within normal limits.' (pg. 324). The authors continued, ' From a functional perspective, the performance on standardized reading tests reveals that these participants appear to have sufficient reading skills to serve as a foundation for the acquisition of reading.' (pg. 332)"

Terrible research all over the place. Bah. I stopped reading shortly into it.

How exactly is it terrible research if you've already acknowledged you weren't going to read it because you don't like SEE? How can you say it's terrible research" if you "stopped reading shortly into it"? Just because you don't like SEE doesn't make it terrible research.

Maybe get some unbiased glasses to put on so you can actually read it for what it is? Why shut it down when this study demonstrates the potential benefits for DHH students and their ability to read and comprehend English?

How exactly is it terrible research if you've already acknowledged you weren't going to read it because you don't like SEE? How can you say it's terrible research" if you "stopped reading shortly into it"? Just because you don't like SEE doesn't make it terrible research.

Maybe get some unbiased glasses to put on so you can actually read it for what it is? Why shut it down when this study demonstrates the potential benefits for DHH students and their ability to read and comprehend English?

For example:

Research suggests that there is a reciprocal relationship between vocabulary and comprehension (see Bauman, 2009, for a review). The larger the student's reading vocabulary, the better his or
her comprehension, and the more one comprehends, the more one can learn new words
Wow reallllly? I didn't know that!

At that point, i just stopped.

Read the comments posted to this video: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3IlZ3y90io]SEE vs ASL - YouTube[/ame]

this video as well: ASL vs SEE: The Bank! | ewitty | DeafVIDEO.TV

Whenever I read the deaf perspective about SEE - it's usually not positive. And deaf people say that when they learn SEE first, it becomes very difficult to switch to ASL afterwards and they wish they hadn't learned SEE in the first place.

CSign - I grew up profoundly deaf, and I hear only vowels, not consonants with my hearing aids and what helped me learn to read and write English well was reading books. One should study English in order to learn English.

I've been around long enough to know that SEE isn't effective.

The guy in the video is saying what I have said along...ASL does NOT intervere with one's ability to read and write in English so it is pointless to have SEE or any of the other MCEs.

The guy in the video is saying what I have said along...ASL does NOT intervere with one's ability to read and write in English so it is pointless to have SEE or any of the other MCEs.

Well I've never said, nor believed that ASL interferes with learning English.

I disagree that it's pointless to have SEE, as it has been shown to be an effective tool in helping DHH children acquire English.

I disagree that it's pointless to have SEE, as it has been shown to be an effective tool in helping DHH children acquire English.

If ASL does not interfere with learning English ...

then ...

Why SEE ?

Why not get your child to read books? It's a good way to acquire English.

Why not get your child to read books? It's a good way to acquire English.

He does read books- every day. You cannot read and comprehend a language you don't know. I agree it can help with acquiring English, but you have to have a good starting point. You can't just plop a book in front of a child with little to no experience with English and expect them to read and comprehend it's contents.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

My home is filled with visual learners (including the hearing people). More specifically, my kids and I are visual-spatial learners. Visual learners are better at the whole word method. Phonics approach isn't very helpful. Visual learners become excellent readers without morpheme awareness. It's just how their brains work.
Deaf kids excel at visual learning. More than hearing visual-spatial types. Whole word learning plays to their strengths. Why use a structured phonics approach that doesn't play to their strengths? Not every person learns the same way.
Teachers tend to prefer methods that are not visual. It requires more effort. Visual learners are not necessarily popular with teachers because they learn in a non-sequential way. Teachers prefer to teach in a structured, sequential manner, especially at the elementary school level. Visual learners tend to give teachers a run for their money by asking a lot of questions. It's as if the information is in their heads and they are analyzing it to learn it. Very analytical people, really. They excel at critical thinking.
PFH is a really bright person and I don't doubt that he gave his teachers a run for their money. lol A good teachers considers a student's learning style. People do not all think in the same way or learn in the same way. It's a good idea for parents to read about learning styles and assess their kids' learning styles to better meet their needs. This applies whether the kid is deaf or hearing.

I see. So you don't want to answer my question. Guess I won't need to answer yours.

I see.

Actually my friend, I have adressed that question many times on this forum.

It seems your only interest is to mock this study and SEE, and not actually contribute anything to this thread.

Oh, by the way... My question was rhetorical, I already know the answer to it :wave:

I see.

Actually my friend, I have adressed that question many times on this forum.

It seems your only interest is to mock this study and SEE, and not actually contribute anything to this thread.

Oh, by the way... My question was rhetorical, I already know the answer to it :wave:

I took a couple ASL courses, and there were students pushing SEE and cued speech. They did not fare well. :giggle:

Back