Hearing aids for profound losses

In my hometown's VR STINK!!!! I can't move to other city because of my husband's college in our hometown. We have to wait. Ohh well.

This is the post I am going by. I read your post and that VR won't pay for new hearing aids! I am making a comment that VR is the same in each town. They are federally funded and have rules and regulations. It is not going to change from town to town!

That's nice to discuss with you. I can hear with hearing aids. If I don't wear them. I can't hear anything. I can hear my dog's barking, my husband's laugh at TV. I can hear the music but not exact a sound like hoh or hearing. You know I am talking about? When I got a newsletter with good news about digital hearing aids. My husband and I went to audiologist last few years ago. He said I can't get a digital because of my hearing level. I was alike that's bullshit. I never hear of it. Until I found AllDeaf's hearing aids forum to discuss. I found it about analog and digital will help for hearing loss with profound. That's so interesting and new to me. I want to figure it how to work it out about digital and analog is the best for profound. I don't want to waste the money to buy HA or CI. I need to make a decide. My husband is hearing. He don't care if I am deaf. He said, "It up to you if you want to get a new HA or CI. I don't care if you are still deaf no matter what. I still love you. I will always support you for wish".

Thats very kind of him. He obviously respects your wishes and needs as a deaf person. I wish more hearing would respect us like your husband respect you. I think if they shown us some more respect it might change some of our thoughts about them.

I am glad hearing aids have worked for you, thats wonderful. I myself flushed the one's I had down the toliet many, many years ago in grade school when I had hearing aids and oralism forced on me. If I ever go back to having them again I suspect I will have them off most of the time when I am wearing them and only turn them on in emergencies or when listening to music.

This is the post I am going by. I read your post and that VR won't pay for new hearing aids! I am making a comment that VR is the same in each town. They are federally funded and have rules and regulations. It is not going to change from town to town!

That's true. That's why I am disappointed with VR's changed the rules. It's not fair! I can't understand why my hometown is changing the rules through the government. Do you think about my state's Governor is control over the state with VR, SS, Tax, Medicare and other??

Thats very kind of him. He obviously respects your wishes and needs as a deaf person. I wish more hearing would respect us like your husband respect you. I think if they shown us some more respect it might change some of our thoughts about them.

I am glad hearing aids have worked for you, thats wonderful. I myself flushed the one's I had down the toliet many, many years ago in grade school when I had hearing aids and oralism forced on me. If I ever go back to having them again I suspect I will have them off most of the time when I am wearing them and only turn them on in emergencies or when listening to music.

Other man from my hearing clinic. He is hearing and know nothing about deaf. He is care about hearing people to get digital HA for hearing losses.

My VR counselor said, "VR rules said if you have a hearing loss than 90db and can get a new hearing aids. Your hearing loss level is 110db same since and can't get new hearing aids"

That's suck! I can't afford to buy new hearing aids. I have a high medial bills from the hospital for my health right now. I am pretty disappointed and can't get new HA. It's 8 years old now. DAMN IT!!! It's not enough strong to hear
So how did you get your current aids? I think your VR counselor might not be familair in dealing with dhh folks.........that's just so screwy.

So how did you get your current aids? I think your VR counselor might not be familair in dealing with dhh folks.........that's just so screwy.

Well. He was new at VR last 2 years ago. I got my current aids through my old VR last 8 years ago. She isn't my VR anymore. I am going to see my audiologist on Wednesday. I will figure it out what is going on.

I can't see how VR will be different in any other town. My case manager was better in one office then the other. I think it is more about the case managers not the office. Remember they are limited by funds. Also like Jillio said they are Vocational, the goal is job placement or career training.

Exactly. They all operate under the same federal guidelines. If you request that your case be closed because you don't want a job, then they will close your case. It has nothing to do with whether they "stink" or not. You have chosen not to use their services, so the responsibility is yours, not VR's.

That's true. That's why I am disappointed with VR's changed the rules. It's not fair! I can't understand why my hometown is changing the rules through the government. Do you think about my state's Governor is control over the state with VR, SS, Tax, Medicare and other??

VR has not changed the rules. You told them that you did not want to find a job. Therefore, they cannot help you. They are there to help people with disabilities find and maintain employment. If you are seeking employment, and HA is a part of the accommodation you need to work, they will help you with the cost of HA. But if you choose not to work, there is nothing they can do for you. It is your choice, not a change in the rules.

Likewise, if you want new aids just because you don't like the way the old BTE looks, that is not VR's responsibility either. You are evidently just confused about the purpose of VR. They are not a social services agency. The purpose of the organization is to assist with empoyment issues. You have to be looking for work, or preparing for a job to be eligble for their services.

Just because they can't help you doesn't mean that the organization is bad. It simply means that you aren't doing what you need to do to meet thier criteria for assistance.

VR assisted in college cost my first year of college. Even after I did not meet the qualifications, they still kept my file open. Only closed if after I obtained my first teaching job.

I did not have VR pay for hearing aids, my family and I covered the cost. That is why I wore my last aids for 14 years. Many audies will work with you on the cost of HA. With my profound loss, I did not get any benefit from digital. I used them on a trial as I decided for CI or not. I lasted a few weeks on them and back to my Unitrons.

Thanks for supporting the educational claims I made for VR. And you are correct. Your file will be kept open until you have found employment, maintained that employment for s specific time, and should you need additional accommodations that the job refuses to provide, they will reopen your case and mediate the situation for you, including testifying on your behalf should a lawsuit under the ADA become necessary.

I told you through PM. I have been go to VR with 3 different counselors. I like the second vr who helped me found a job successful. I can't explain to you why. I want you be enough to discuss with me repeat. I am finished discuss with you! Let drop the subject! You always too much discuss with me and everyone. I am DONE!

VR has not changed the rules. You told them that you did not want to find a job. Therefore, they cannot help you. They are there to help people with disabilities find and maintain employment. If you are seeking employment, and HA is a part of the accommodation you need to work, they will help you with the cost of HA. But if you choose not to work, there is nothing they can do for you. It is your choice, not a change in the rules.

Likewise, if you want new aids just because you don't like the way the old BTE looks, that is not VR's responsibility either. You are evidently just confused about the purpose of VR. They are not a social services agency. The purpose of the organization is to assist with empoyment issues. You have to be looking for work, or preparing for a job to be eligble for their services.

Just because they can't help you doesn't mean that the organization is bad. It simply means that you aren't doing what you need to do to meet thier criteria for assistance.

I told you through PM. I have been go to VR with 3 different counselors. I like the second vr who helped me found a job successful. I can't explain to you why. I want you be enough to discuss with me repeat. I am finished discuss with you! Let drop the subject! You always too much discuss with me and everyone. I am DONE!

And that's what they are supposed to do. Help you find a job. So they did their job just as they were supposed to. But now you don't want to work. Therefore, they cannot help you because they are not there to provide assistance to someone who doesn't want to work.

You were the one that was complaining that VR sucks. I was simply correcting the misperceptions you were giving people. It doesn'thelp anyone when people are told the wrong things about agencies that can assist them.

I have severe to profound hearing loss in both ears, average around 90 decibels, and I use digital hearing aids without a problem. I can speak, hear people speaking (combine with lipreading to make out what they're saying), listen to music and hear the world. Oh, and I was born deaf.

In some frequencies, I have about 80 decibels of hearing loss, in others I have over 110 decibels of hearing loss (mostly the high frequency range, between 3 KHz to 8 KHz).

The hearing aids I use are the brand new Phonak Nadia 5 SP. I hated dealing with the VR in my state in the past so I skipped them and paid for the new pair all by myself. It's almost like buying a new car, except instead of gas prices, I worry about battery prices. ;)

The hearing aids I use are the brand new Phonak Nadia 5 SP. I hated dealing with the VR in my state in the past so I skipped them and paid for the new pair all by myself. It's almost like buying a new car, except instead of gas prices, I worry about battery prices. ;)

I paid for mine by myself too...batteries are not nearly as expensive as gas though! I got about a year's worth of batteries for $20...can't get a year's worth of gas for that price!

I paid for mine by myself too...batteries are not nearly as expensive as gas though! I got about a year's worth of batteries for $20...can't get a year's worth of gas for that price!

I would worry about battery prices, at least in the near future. Current battery technology is based on zinc, and unfortunately we're about to approach a really bad global zinc shortage:

Record zinc prices on global shortage

I would worry about battery prices, at least in the near future. Current battery technology is based on zinc, and unfortunately we're about to approach a really bad global zinc shortage:

Record zinc prices on global shortage

Well, batteries might get more expensive, but I don't think they will approach gas prices! I buy my batteries in bulk on eBay, that's how I got a year's worth for about $20, it's great.

Thanks for supporting the educational claims I made for VR. And you are correct. Your file will be kept open until you have found employment, maintained that employment for s specific time, and should you need additional accommodations that the job refuses to provide, they will reopen your case and mediate the situation for you, including testifying on your behalf should a lawsuit under the ADA become necessary.

This is very true. I filed a lawsuit against a school system and VR was involved. I forgot about that.

Well. He was new at VR last 2 years ago. I got my current aids through my old VR last 8 years ago. She isn't my VR anymore. I am going to see my audiologist on Wednesday. I will figure it out what is going on.

For all of us who have ever had to purchase hearing aids, it is very frustrating and costly. I understand the pain. I wore HA for 27 years. I also know that if it is something you want for your life, it will cost you. I wish HA were covered by insurance, but in most cases it is not. My last HA was covered by the military insurance. Since I depend on HA I would have paid the cost.

So I understand the frustration.

Really? My husband have 2 insurances through his job and military. He will put my name on his insurance soon. We just married last month ago. But my medicare is coming first. I am looking forward to see my audiologist on Wednesday. I need to replace my earmold's tubes because it's very hard now. The earmold with new tubes don't have charge. It's free to adjustable. If I get a new whole earmold. I have to pay it. But I need to get a new power BTE. Argh!

For all of us who have ever had to purchase hearing aids, it is very frustrating and costly. I understand the pain. I wore HA for 27 years. I also know that if it is something you want for your life, it will cost you. I wish HA were covered by insurance, but in most cases it is not. My last HA was covered by the military insurance. Since I depend on HA I would have paid the cost.

So I understand the frustration.

Really? My husband have 2 insurances through his job and military. He will put my name on his insurance soon. We just married last month ago. But my medicare is coming first. I am looking forward to see my audiologist on Wednesday. I need to replace my earmold's tubes because it's very hard now. The earmold with new tubes don't have charge. It's free to adjustable. If I get a new whole earmold. I have to pay it. But I need to get a new power BTE. Argh!
I don't know about military insurance, but most insurance through jobs does not cover hearing aids. They cover cochlear implants, but not hearing aids. The NAD just announced one of their upcoming goals will be to encourage insurance companies to cover hearing aids.

Back