Hearing aids for profound losses

I am sorry for wrong kind. I know about Phonak Naida is new in market. My hearing aids brand is Phonak Superpower or Maxx 411. I think. It's Analog not Digital

Okay, I will talk with my audi about my hearing aids. I'm wearing Phonax Naida in both ears. I don't like the other audiologist tell me to do. I want to be my decide what I need to more hear.

DragonYoga, I was born deaf. I am only deaf in my family but my little third cousin have 2 CI. We are the same deaf's 90%. That's strange for my cousin's HA aren't help him when he was baby. His mom forced him to take a CI without he decide when he is grow up.

Profound hearing loss does not mean you have no residual hearing. Profound just means you have 70 db or more of hearing loss.
So, what would you call it if a person has 90 db loss... but hears very well with hearing aids?

I have to admit (to the original poster)...I'm so glad you asked this question! I was one of those people who thought "profound" hearing loss meant that you didn't hear at all. I used to have a moderate-to-severe loss in my left ear and profound in my right. I couldn't hear anything at all in my right ear but heard really pretty well with my bi-CROS hearing aids (with the left ear being the one that actually heard anything). These were analog aids that I got in 1993...I never did get digital ones.

About 6-7 weeks ago I suddenly lost the rest of my hearing and now I hear nothing at all. If I look at my audiograms it looks like a profound loss in both ears...the marks are all at the 120 db line and there's no level higher than that on my chart. The word recognition section says "NR at 105" for both ears. For my CI assessment I had to wear the most powerful hearing aids they had, and all they did was vibrate my head...I never did hear anything with them.

So I thought, okay, if I describe myself as being "profoundly deaf in both ears" people will understand that I don't hear anything at all. I don't hear sirens, jet engines...no sounds ever. Then I started reading here and there...someone would say they were profoundly deaf and could hear things, or that they can understand speech with a hearing aid. It totally confused me!

I'm wondering, is there a term that specifies in no uncertain terms that someone doesn't hear at all? Is it just "completely deaf"?

My audiologist (in a hospital) has often told me she thinks it's just human nature that audies who also dispense HA's will encourage more people to use them. She says she isn't telling me to try it, and doesn't think it will really help, but wouldn't be hurt if I did. I'm halfway tempted to try it just to see, with the latest & greatest - but we tried my old HA's after surgery in 1990 and it didn't help, so I guess we've kind of let the subject drop since then.

Clearly, today's HA's are much better than those were, from what I'm reading! ;)
My loss in that ear ranges between 95 and 110 depending on the frequency, so I don't really think it's likely to help much, but you never know...

A hearing aid is a device that people who have hearing problems use to hear more easily. Early designs of the hearing aid can be described as "ear horns," funnel shaped amplification devices that people put up to their ears whenever they needed to listen to something.

Of course, the evolution of technology made it possible for the extinction of the atrocious-looking device. Now, hearing aids are commonly electronic devices that are worn on the ear like the conventional ear phone. The first design of these had a rectangular battery pack that connected to the ear piece with a lengthy wire. The battery pack was usually placed in the user's pocket. This design tended to be flawed, as the microphone used to amplify sounds wasn't placed very strategically, often suffering disturbances from the user's clothing. During the mid 20th century, they came up with hearing aids that had a small battery inside the actual earpiece.

My audiologist (in a hospital) has often told me she thinks it's just human nature that audies who also dispense HA's will encourage more people to use them. She says she isn't telling me to try it, and doesn't think it will really help, but wouldn't be hurt if I did. I'm halfway tempted to try it just to see, with the latest & greatest - but we tried my old HA's after surgery in 1990 and it didn't help, so I guess we've kind of let the subject drop since then.

Clearly, today's HA's are much better than those were, from what I'm reading! ;)
My loss in that ear ranges between 95 and 110 depending on the frequency, so I don't really think it's likely to help much, but you never know...

My hearing is 90-120 depending on the frequency from 250Hz-1500Hz...then no reponse beyond that. I get benefit from aids. Environmental sounds, and even some speech. I can tell if someone is calling my name...and I can respond to simple one word commands.

My latest joke is that I am like a dog. I come when called and sit too!!!:giggle:

hearing aids can work for people with profound hearing loss. They are not all created equally though.

Hearing Aids never worked for me...I can't hear at all with Hearing Aids and I'm Profoundly Deaf.

I have a bad news!

I went to Vocational Rehabilitation meeting this morning. I asked to my counselor if I can get new another HA? He looked on my hearing test is still same. He said VR's privacy said can't get me HA because of my hearing level is still same. My mom never tell me about my hearing loss more than 90db since I was born. I looked at my file record of hearing test. I am profoundly deaf about 110db. I am plan to get CI for my hearing loss served. It's bad ears now. I have to wait for new device next 2 years later. My husband will be graduate from college and will get me CI. I will never give it up with my goal. My HA is not helping me enough.

I have a bad news!

I went to Vocational Rehabilitation meeting this morning. I asked to my caseworker if I can get new another HA? He checked on my hearing test result. He said VR's privacy said can't get me HA because of my hearing level is still same. My mom never tell me about my hearing loss more than 90db since I was born. I looked at my file record of hearing test. I am profoundly deaf about 110db. I am plan to get CI for my hearing loss served. It's bad ears now. I have to wait for new device next 2 years later. My husband will be graduate from college and will get me CI. I will never give it up with my goal. My HA is not helping me enough.

I would try it. I know someone who had a VERY profound loss. Like she wore a body worn aid back in the 80's, and STILL couldn't get speech sounds. I think she might have just gotten enviormental sounds. Anyway, a couple of years ago she opted to get the new digitals, and was getting some SPEECH perception with them. (like clear words)
Damn Pinky that sucks that you can't get a new HA. I would double check as to why you can't get a new HA. I mean, hearing aids BREAK.......aren't you due for new ones?
My advice.....if your speech or sound perception with HA is REALLY low, go for CI!

I think I do Ok. I can still talk. I understand mostly everything. SRT 90-105 L/R; Speech discrimination 72% and 64% aided. I use power digital by oticon (synchroP). Like others' statements, I do well with good eye contact; much better than if you stay behind or non sight.

My vr counselor didn't like VR's rules. He don't mind to get me new HA but can't. I am still go to Audiologist on Wednesday to see what's wrong with my left BTE.

My VR counselor said, "VR rules said if you have a hearing loss than 90db and can get a new hearing aids. Your hearing loss level is 110db same since and can't get new hearing aids"

That's suck! I can't afford to buy new hearing aids. I have a high medial bills from the hospital for my health right now. I am pretty disappointed and can't get new HA. It's 8 years old now. DAMN IT!!! It's not enough strong to hear. :mad:

I would try it. I know someone who had a VERY profound loss. Like she wore a body worn aid back in the 80's, and STILL couldn't get speech sounds. I think she might have just gotten enviormental sounds. Anyway, a couple of years ago she opted to get the new digitals, and was getting some SPEECH perception with them. (like clear words)
Damn Pinky that sucks that you can't get a new HA. I would double check as to why you can't get a new HA. I mean, hearing aids BREAK.......aren't you due for new ones?
My advice.....if your speech or sound perception with HA is REALLY low, go for CI!

I have profound to severe loss in both ears (90 db in R, 110 in L), and I wear HAs all the time. I can hear at around 75, 80 db with them in and I can distinguish sounds. I can understand speech sometimes, though most of the time it's like listening to a different language. I can hear the words but I can't understand what the words are. I lipread better with my hearing aids because I can listen at the same time. So for me, it's been very benefictial.

Sometimes, when I'm talking to my hearing friends, and they say something while I'm not looking at them, I will understand anyway and answer. Odd, but yay for me I guess :-P

You only got a 15 db difference in the right ear with hearing aids and are still in the range of what is considered deaf?

I went to Vocational Rehabilitation meeting this morning. I asked to my caseworker if I can get new another HA? He checked on my hearing test result. He said VR's privacy said can't get me HA because of my hearing level is still same. My mom never tell me about my hearing loss more than 90db since I was born. I looked at my file record of hearing test. I am profoundly deaf about 110db. I am plan to get CI for my hearing loss served. It's bad ears now. I have to wait for new device next 2 years later. My husband will be graduate from college and will get me CI. I will never give it up with my goal. My HA is not helping me enough.

:roll: VR is worthless.

hearing aids can work for people with profound hearing loss. They are not all created equally though.

jasin

So, can they work for some with profound losses, or are they all junk?

:roll: VR is worthless.

VR is worthless, all hearing aids are junk, hearing people are worthless, deaf people are rude, terps are cheats and liars, hearing people have no businesss using ASL, hearing people don't know anything about deaf culture history or education,........my, but you are an angry young man! You might want to work on that.

Back