Gitmo Prisoners UPDATE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh...I see. Then the problem has been solved, because Leibling did not use the phrase "Bush Company".. She said Bush and company, which gives an entirely different meaning to the word.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!

I never say Bush´s company but Bush & Co... My co-workers & I use those word "Bush & co" as an abbreviation word for Bush & his companions...

No, you think you understand intent, but only because your prejudice is getting in the way of clear sight. Don't speak for the rest of us.

But since you seem to fancy yourself the expert on semantics, Bush and company is an entirely different meaning than Bush Company. Obviously, you need to stop omitting and adding words to other's posts in order to justify your nitpicking.

donchaknow that Liebling is known for improper use of English? she admitted it herself... which is why I gave her a friendly reminder. apparently - you had to hijack my thread. good grief.

donchaknow that Liebling is known for improper use of English? she admitted it herself

Like yours is perfect? I do believe you interpreted Leibling's original use of the term Bush & Co. as Bush and Corporation. A total faux pas in the English dept.:cool2:

Uhh...

I don't know if this makes any difference, but I live in a hearing world. When I hear the word "Name & Co." I usually instantly think of it related to a derogatory sense.
I don't think of it as Companions, more like Company.

The way it is used around here is that you usually use "___name___ & Co." in order to group a specific selection of individuals to be labeled as what you want to give opinion of (usually in negative sense as I previously said).

Its also used as an informal way of labeling another. But, of course there are times it is casual and does not hint at anything otherwise.

nice try but that was not your intention to use the word "Co." as companions. :cool2:

don't bullshit the bullshitter :laugh2:

Co. is an abbrevation word...

I do not need to write "Bush & his companions" but just Bush & Co. I wasn´t realized that you have the problem. I do not need to write Bush Adminriastion but just Bush Admin. I do not need to write Master but just Mr. If I want to use abbrevation word then use short word with Mr. or Co. or Admin.

And a "companion" is one who keeps company with another.

donchaknow that Liebling is known for improper use of English? she admitted it herself... which is why I gave her a friendly reminder. apparently - you had to hijack my thread. good grief.

Yes, I´m not prefect with English grammar but I was told that there´re most difference English grammar and philosophical logic between British and American.

My American co-workers also use those word Bush & co., too because the group, Bush associate with is bad people.

I have seen some ADer´s poor English grammars around here but I don´t judge them for their English grammar but use my good common sense to interpret their English grammar... If I am not sure then ask them for clarify.

Like yours is perfect? I do believe you interpreted Leibling's original use of the term Bush & Co. as Bush and Corporation. A total faux pas in the English dept.:cool2:

Co. is an abbrevation word...

I do not need to write "Bush & his companions" but just Bush & Co. I wasn´t realized that you have the problem. I do not need to write Bush Adminriastion but just Bush Admin. I do not need to write Master but just Mr. If I want to use abbrevation word then use short word with Mr. or Co. or Admin.

I'm sorry but both of you are wrong. See Liebling's post #242 in other thread.

Who is Co.? Corporation? :scratch:
I mean Bush and his Adminratsion.

I'm sorry but both of you are wrong. See Liebling's post #242 in other thread.

And?

All what I see is I was too busy to explain you something when I was still debate with you in many posts. The word Bush & co. have been used in several threads in the past... Nobody have problem with those word Bush & Co. until your post come. :shrug:

Originally Posted by Jiro
Who is Co.? Corporation?

What about this one, Jiro? Co. is a common English abbreviation for the word "company". Corp. is the common English abbreviation for the word "corporation".

Hmmm....a little English error of your own going on there, or an attempt to distort Leibling's meaning?

Who is Co.? Corporation?

What about this one, Jiro? Co. is a common English abbreviation for the word "company". Corp. is the common English abbreviation for the word "corporation".

Hmmm....a little English error of your own going on there, or an attempt to distort?

Yes, that´s right.

Corp. = corporation.

co.= company or companion.

And?

All what I see is I was too busy to explain you something when I was still debate with you in many posts. The word Bush & co. have been used in several threads in the past... Nobody have problem with those word Bush & Co until your post come. :shrug:
see post #101

Who is Co.? Corporation?

and I conceded my simple error. Can you concede your error too? Liebling clarified that Bush & Co. is referring to Bush Administration.... not companion.. or company...

see post #101

and I conceded my simple error. Can you concede your error too? Liebling clarified that Bush & Co. is referring to Bush Administration.... not companion.. or company...

Incorrect. Liebling's post was in reference to those carrying out Bush's policies at Gitmo. Not all involved were members of his adminstration. Therefore, her use of the term Bush and company is quite accurrate, as she was not referring to his administration as a whole entity, but rather to individuals responsible for carrying out his policies.:cool2: Adminstration is an all inclusive term. In this case, an all inclusive term such as administration is what is innaccurate.

Incorrect. Liebling's post was in reference to those carrying out Bush's policies at Gitmo. Not all involved were members of his adminstration. Therefore, her use of the term Bush and company is quite accurrate, as she was not referring to his administration as a whole entity, but rather to individuals responsible for carrying out his policies.:cool2: Adminstration is an all inclusive term. In this case, an all inclusive term is what is innaccurate.

wow...... just wow....... :roll:

Need me to call in construction digger for a deeper hole for you?

wow...... just wow....... :roll:

Need me to call in construction digger for a deeper hole for you?

Sweetie, the only hole here is the one you have dug for yourself. The fact still remains that your use of the term "administration" is an all inclusive term, and does not distinguish between those who were responsible and those who weren't. The mistake is not Liebling's, it is yours. The mistake you made was in attempting to nitpick her use of the term company. It opened you up to having the same criticisms leveled against your improper use of English wording. The tables simply got turned on you.

I have corrected her in the past and she said :ty:. She slipped back and I've tolerated it for some time. But every time I see "Bush & Co.", it leaves a bad taste in my tongue. I simply asked Liebling to refer it as Bush Administration out of courtesy of respect. You do not need to dance around the term to defend her when it's obviously wrong. No point in prolonging this pointless matter. Beside - this is not your fight unless you want to dig a hole for both of you.

diggin_smilie.gif

I did not see your post until your link of post #101 got my attention.

You corrected me about Bush & Co. in my lock thread once and again here for second time. Anyway, as what you said those word "Bush & Co." leave a bad taste in your tongue. Okay, should I use Jillio´s word "George and his partners in crime." or Beowolf´s word "The Bush Junta" instead of Bush & his companions? (abbrevation word for Bush & co.)?

Nitpicking? how about a respect? Should I call Obama as Mr. Obama? No... he's President Obama, not Mr. Obama or Senator Obama. Get it right. It's insulting/disrespectful to call the person with wrong rank/title, donchaknow? Once you get your ph.d... professionally - you are to be addressed as Dr. Jillio... not Miss Jillio or Jillio. It's just the matter of respect.

btw - there is no other terminology for any administration. It's simply "[last name of President] Administration"

Is it insult when I use the word Bush or Obama without "President" in debate threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back