For those who suport NCLB..take a hard look at this cartoon

Wirelessly posted

not at all. Her school would never do that. I am not saying the name of the particular test she was given because IT DOESN'T MATTER. It is just one of a dozen similar tests.

It does matter. You have made claims about that test that you cannot support. Just admit, you don't even know what tests are being used on your own child. Therefore, you cannot determine the validity of that instrument as it applies to your child.

BTW, got the citation for that journal you quoted? Because plaigarism is illegal, and forbidden on this forum.

Wirelessly posted

her school also has things like this. They have curriculum and language checklists. But they also use standardized tests.

Shel wasn't talking about curriculum and language checklists.

What standardized tests do they use? How do you know they are standardized?

If one wants to argue about the validity of tests, it is best to reveal what tests they are. Otherwise, debating about the tests you are adovacating for is a waste of time.

Shel wasn't talking about curriculum and language checklists.

What standardized tests do they use? How do you know they are standardized?

Nope, the MSA is administered state-wide. It s not a curriculm and language checklist.

Okay, here is another question (not that I expect an answer):

This obscure, unamed, standardized language test that you keep referring to: when they use it for deaf children, do they vary the way it is administered at all?

If one wants to argue about the validity of tests, it is best to reveal what tests they are. Otherwise, debating about the tests you are adovacating for is a waste of time.

Right. I will be glad to discuss the validity of any test on the market. But I have to know what test it is.

Wirelessly posted

in utah, they used the pls-IV. It was also normed on hearing kids. (she is too old for this test now.) is it standardized?

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
faire_jour said:
they don't vary it. They give it as specified.

Oh, I see. They don't use any variance at all with deaf kids?

Well, then, that alone invalidates responses.

what do you think they should be doing to vary it for deaf kids?

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

in utah, they used the pls-IV. It was also normed on hearing kids. (she is too old for this test now.) is it standardized?

So, you will give us the name of the test that they used at her Bi-Bi school, but not the one they used at her Oral School? Interesting.:hmm:

And the pls-IV is a norm referenced test. That is another topic.

Most of the items are objectively scored. Still yet another topic. Low interrater reliability and decreased validity. Test was designed to assess for language delays and disorders. Therefore, it's purpose is not to test for achievement or performance.

Now, how about that standardized test of language you were referring to from the Oral school?

My gosh. No name to this test. No validity. What's new??? :roll:

FJ, do you "wirelessly post" on this forum at all times now because your husband forbids you to stay on the computer and argue with us? You do it in secret by phone now?

My gosh. No name to this test. No validity. What's new??? :roll:

FJ, do you "wirelessly post" on this forum at all times now because your husband forbids you to stay on the computer and argue with us? You do it in secret by phone now?

More likely she cant afford it.

Wirelessly posted

the entire utah school for the deaf used the pls-IV, oral and asl. I know it was no longer standardized when they used it for ASL kids.

I was just thinking, that somebody in the past wanted 80% of all kids (regardless of any other factors like fetal alcohol syndrome, TBI, autistic spectrum...) to pass a standardized test... thus failing to understand what a standardized test is ...

I was just thinking, that somebody in the past wanted 80% of all kids (regardless of any other factors like fetal alcohol syndrome, TBI, autistic spectrum...) to pass a standardized test... thus failing to understand what a standardized test is ...

Yeppers. And evidently we have been going through the same thing here tonight.

Wirelessly posted

the entire utah school for the deaf used the pls-IV, oral and asl. I know it was no longer standardized when they used it for ASL kids.

It is a norm referenced test designed to assess for language delay and disorders. Don't you get it?

I do not trust tests. Period.

All any test can do is determine if the test taker is giving the answers the test maker is looking for.

Tests are excellent teaching tools. They provide a conscientious teacher with a yardstick to determine what needs to emphasized and what does not.

The best test to discover where someone is at on a given subject is an essay test -- But that requires time and patience and an attitude on the part of the person rating the test the system will not allow.

Marilyn vos Savant once said her primary talent seemed to be the ability to pass tests. There are a lot of books on how to take them, not sure if she wrote one.

Back