Deaf people and guitars.

Dark-Half

Reaction score
I had the notion to want to try to learn to play one, although after some minor research the tuning part threw me off immensely. I already know Alex plays the guitar, but he uses HA's so he can tune them just fine- what about those of us who can't hear, at all? I've borrowed my sisters once to just fiddle with it, it's easy to tell chords and tones appart but tuning ... I don't think I can /feel/ the difference. There's devices that'll aid you, although you need to tune your guitar every time you play and I don't think that's the most fun or easiest way.

Any ideas or am I stuck until I at least get a CI?

Side note: I am an uncle as of feb 02'.

I don't have any ideas, sorry.

But I want to say that I've always wanted to learn how to play a guitar.

Get an electric guitar tuner. As long as it is functioning properly, it should not fail you.

There should be an member who plays guitar here and the admin here Alex plays guitar too, you can pm him for more info! :thumb:

There should be an member who plays guitar here and the admin here Alex plays guitar too, you can pm him for more info! :thumb:

He knows, re-read his post again "I already know Alex plays the guitar, but he uses HA's so he can tune them just fine"

Dark-Half, I don't play the guitar, I have no interesting in playing the guitar sorry. ;)

Heey! Like you, tuning a guitar was my first concern before I got involved with playing guitars. Even though I'm hard of hearing, I haven't trained my ears to tune a guitar correctly, and I didn't want to go through all the hassle in tuning a guitar anyway, so I did a little research and found the Boss tuner you can see at BOSS Chromatic Tuner Problem solved!

By the way, are you thinking about getting an acoustic or electric guitar?

Sorry! I was excited when I learned that other deaf people like Alex plays guitar. I know how to play guitar a bit because my uncle owns 2 guitars, I grew up in rock and roll music.. thank you very much!

He knows, re-read his post again "I already know Alex plays the guitar, but he uses HA's so he can tune them just fine"

Dark-Half, I don't play the guitar, I have no interesting in playing the guitar sorry. ;)

Heey! Like you, tuning a guitar was my first concern before I got involved with playing guitars. Even though I'm hard of hearing, I haven't trained my ears to tune a guitar correctly, and I didn't want to go through all the hassle in tuning a guitar anyway, so I did a little research and found the Boss tuner you can see at BOSS Chromatic Tuner Problem solved!

By the way, are you thinking about getting an acoustic or electric guitar?

Yea, I was told to look into electric tuners. That one looks sweet. It was a tough decision between acoustics and electric- ultimately I ended up getting a midnight blue fender strat for a nice deal. I like how acoustics reflect sound, but wanted an electric for looks and the fact it takes less strength to controll and is easier to learn. Later on I'll probably get an acoustic as well. Nothing wrong with owning more than one guitar, let alone types!

Edit: oh, while I do have a hearing friend who's in a band that plays at a private bar I'm allowed in and can give me pointers *brag*, I'd still apperecaite tips or such from anyone else. I've been reading about.com on practicing, though I'd like to absorb as much as I can so I can at least play a little decent.

Oh boy...I have NO slight idea on guitars! My brother and my Uncle plays them.

I don't think I want to learn though. :) Just sit and listen to their playing :)

I love my daddy for this lol

My daddy broughted me guitar, harmonia, etcs....I have loved music and loved to plays music, I even can play the piano too, not that hard, I even can play the flute too and sings real good, I'm blushing!

Too shy to sings or plays for anybody, I hide! seriously

One time I was in the garage singin' "I Thought I Found True Lovvveee", all of suddenly my mom opened the garage door and said You sings good, I said mom what are you doing here, I was red faced, feelin' shy and embarassed...

Somehow later I started gettin' used to it startin' to plays my guitar, some harmonia and sings for my relatives & friends ....they're all like how can a girl like you who's hard of hearin' can plays and sings so good, I just blushed!

When I feels down, I grabbed my guitar or harmonia, or others when I'm feelin' down, music sure lifted my spirits up.

I like country music, some rocks, I'm even crazy over this songs Sweet Home Alabama ...ohhhhhh ahhhhhhhh! lol

My dad plays all kinds, guitars, harmonia, banjo, and my cousin had a band called Fantasy Midnight, many of my relatives plays music and it was awesome, my jawed dropped at the age of 14 when my daddy, uncle Carl, uncle Ted, cousin Mike, cousin Tom all were playin' the guitars, they're really good, never forgot that.

Last edited:
I don't play a guitar, but I do play Guitar Hero! ;)

Anyway, I do have a deaf friend who loves to play the guitar. :)

My daddy broughted me guitar, harmonia, etcs....I have loved music and loved to plays music, I even can play the piano too, not that hard, I even can play the flute too and sings real good, I'm blushing!

Too shy to sings or plays for anybody, I hide! seriously

One time I was in the garage singin' "I Thought I Found True Lovvveee", all of suddenly my mom opened the garage door and said You sings good, I said mom what are you doing here, I was red faced, feelin' shy and embarassed...

Somehow later I started gettin' used to it startin' to plays my guitar, some harmonia and sings for my relatives & friends ....they're all like how can a girl like you who's hard of hearin' can plays and sings so good, I just blushed!

When I feels down, I grabbed my guitar or harmonia, or others when I'm feelin' down, music sure lifted my spirits up.

I like country music, some rocks, I'm even crazy over this songs Sweet Home Alabama ...ohhhhhh ahhhhhhhh! lol

My dad plays all kinds, guitars, harmonia, banjo, and my cousin had a band called Fantasy Midnight, many of my relatives plays music and it was awesome, my jawed dropped at the age of 14 when my daddy, uncle Carl, uncle Ted, cousin Mike, cousin Tom all were playin' the guitars, they're really good, never forgot that.

Guess u have music genes in u? :)

My mom got my brother a drum set when we were kids and all I did was play the drums but my mom said I didnt know what I was doing and got rid of the drums. :(

Good luck Dark Half in becoming a guitartist! :)

Yea, I was told to look into electric tuners. That one looks sweet. It was a tough decision between acoustics and electric- ultimately I ended up getting a midnight blue fender strat for a nice deal. I like how acoustics reflect sound, but wanted an electric for looks and the fact it takes less strength to controll and is easier to learn. Later on I'll probably get an acoustic as well. Nothing wrong with owning more than one guitar, let alone types!

Edit: oh, while I do have a hearing friend who's in a band that plays at a private bar I'm allowed in and can give me pointers *brag*, I'd still apperecaite tips or such from anyone else. I've been reading about.com on practicing, though I'd like to absorb as much as I can so I can at least play a little decent.
Personally, I think playing an electric guitar is more fun. I'm sure an acoustic guitar has its advantages, like there's this solo I wanted to play but wouldn't sound right with an electric guitar.

That's nice that you have a friend who plays in a band and is willing to help you out and give you some tips. I'm self taught but plan to hire a guitar tutor/teacher one day (they charge $50, more or less, per hour). In the beginning, I just played my favorite songs/solos by reading tabs online. Do you have a favorite band?

Keep us updated! :)

PePe LePew said:
That is so true! It's like you know how some people express their feelings by writing things down in a diary or whatever, I express my feelings through my music, ya know? It's a wonderful therapy. :rockon:

I looove acoustic... even though I'm not deaf I will put my face on the body of the guitar while I play and feel the vibrations from the different sounds... personally tuning isn't just hard for the deaf/hoh, I had a hard time learning to tune a guitar as well, and I had to use an electric tuner... electric guitars are easier to tune with a tuner because you plug the guitar INTO the tuner and you don't have to worry about background noise... also I would imagine that if you could hear alittle you could get nice headphones, plug them into the amp and play the guitar really loud. I personally prefer acoustic guitar, I love it so much, the sound is very sweet and I'd even venture to say... romantic *raising eyebrows*...hehe.

Speaking of acoustic, check this video out. The dude is playing with an acoustic guitar which sounds really nice and wouldn't sound right with an electic guitar. :ugh3:

[yt]ZGuA-wzu-EI[/yt]

By the way, does anyone know what the heck is that clamp for on the neck of the guitar? :hmm:

By the way, does anyone know what the heck is that clamp for on the neck of the guitar? :hmm:

That's called a capo, it raises and lowers the note you are playing in on the guitar... for example, I tune my guitar 1 whole step down, or (2 frets) DEEPER (or looser) than a regular guitar, I can play some deep sounding songs without changed the tuning, and when I want the guitar to sound regular I put a capo (that clamp thing) on the 2nd fret and it sounds normal again.

If you think that was good acoustic guitar, check this guy out.

[yt]JsD6uEZsIsU[/yt]

Damn, that bald-headed dude is fucking good. :eek3:

P.S. Thanks for explanining what the capo does.

Personally, I think playing an electric guitar is more fun. I'm sure an acoustic guitar has its advantages, like there's this solo I wanted to play but wouldn't sound right with an electric guitar.

That's nice that you have a friend who plays in a band and is willing to help you out and give you some tips. I'm self taught but plan to hire a guitar tutor/teacher one day (they charge $50, more or less, per hour). In the beginning, I just played my favorite songs/solos by reading tabs online. Do you have a favorite band?

Keep us updated! :)

For Cash songs I'd have to pick up an acoustic(I love cash's work even before the movie, a friend introduced me to his stuff when I was like 18 or 19). There's too many bands I like for the lyrics. I think I'd probably stick with jazz/blues- There's one parculiar song I like- The real folk blues; Anyone who watches anime or cartoon network will automatically reconize it. I think I'd probably stick with that for awhile and some classic rock.

LOL! I've been wondering what that clamp was for as well for the longest time- Last thanksgiving I was at my grandmas and a friend of my cousin's brought an acoustic and had that- I never got around to asking him while he was playing. The guy was pretty good hehe.

Back