Deaf and skinny dipping

MattyinAus

Reaction score
I know this sounds pretty funny. Have anyone take their birthday suits on here? I fear that my first time doing it in near future would be tad awkward without wearing hearing aids on to figure out what is happening! You can't hear but you can see. It still a big difference to I can hear and see etc.

Yet have not experienced it, but I would listen to you all advice on your past experiences.

Cheers :):shock:

going skinny dipping you dont need h/a.i done it and just have fun

I can guess the point of your concern, Australia is famous for having many and huge nude beaches. There are a few in the good old USA. Either country leave the HA off, the sand would destroy them, especially wind blown sand.

Yeah thought of that but I always put it in box when I go swimming. Apparently, for all of us being deaf we shouldn't swim alone you know?

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

I'm confused - what does being deaf have to do with skinny dipping?

They're completely seperate from each other.

I correlate to the situation of people from this forum who has experienced skinny dipping. Whole point is they cannot hear anything whilst in the water, there is a justification for anyone feel awkward for the situation of what is happening. You know that swimming or skinny dipping alone for deaf person is much more dangerous than a hearing person?

As a bilateral DEAF who does swim-almost every day-Don't consider swimming dangerous.
My Cochlear Implant is disconnected-real quiet swimming.

aside: I am aware that Advanced Bionics has Neptune for swimming which come out a few years after I got the Harmony.

I correlate to the situation of people from this forum who has experienced skinny dipping. Whole point is they cannot hear anything whilst in the water, there is a justification for anyone feel awkward for the situation of what is happening. You know that swimming or skinny dipping alone for deaf person is much more dangerous than a hearing person?

I'm a duck. Which means I grew up being in the water (Gulf of Mexico) all day, had a boat, water ski, fished, etc. So I know being deaf in the water is no disadvantage to the deaf person. Both the deaf and hearing swimmer won't hear a Great White sneak up on them. Talking to someone in the water? That would be the same situation as on land without your aids. Your concern is unfounded.

My concern if someone trying to shout at you saying 'get out of the water'. It would be from the lifesaver or whoever from the beach. You hardly hear the situation when you are paying attention to yourself swimming.

Saying like shark! Shark! How you can hear it someone shouting from the beach if you have not noticed there is a shark in the water? Same thing for a crocodile...

I don't agree with you on the danger level for a deaf person swimming alone. I think it's equally dangerous for anyone to swim alone - regardless of whether you can hear or not. I would be far more concerned about losing consciousness or exhaustion than not hearing something.

I'm not 100% sure but I always thought that water affected your hearing anyways. If anyone here is (or has been) hearing - feel free to correct me though, I have been deaf since birth so I really would not know for sure.

Also, we've always been fine when swimming without hearing aids on. I don't see how skinny dipping is any different - aside from not being covered by a swimsuit?

Should we expect to see you on Bondi Beach Rescue being pulled, naked, from the surf by Bongo, Basho and Tosh (or whatever their names are) the amiable lifeguards?

I guess fortunate that sharks/crocodiles are not usually living in Lake Ontario-thus no concern even if I decided to swim. in the lake. Water too cold! Some advantage living in Canada.

Indoor pools are "safer for the DEAF"-my experience.

Off to Main square/Toronto pool shortly!

I don't agree with you on the danger level for a deaf person swimming alone. I think it's equally dangerous for anyone to swim alone - regardless of whether you can hear or not. I would be far more concerned about losing consciousness or exhaustion than not hearing something.

I'm not 100% sure but I always thought that water affected your hearing anyways. If anyone here is (or has been) hearing - feel free to correct me though, I have been deaf since birth so I really would not know for sure.

Also, we've always been fine when swimming without hearing aids on. I don't see how skinny dipping is any different - aside from not being covered by a swimsuit?

i agree....the life gards in my swimming club are deaf and two gards are expected to know sign the life gards sign to each other all the time

In scuba diving there is no speech sound going on. They used sign language as well?

I guess we got it all now. Should go back to skinny dipping experiences haha....

I when the water nude with some friends and I did not feel uptight. And when I lived in Northern Calf. it was common for people to take showers together to save water. I took a shower in the rain. I stood under the gutter when we had a rain storm . I was in Northern Calf. and not many people used the road.
It was one of the best shower I ever had. The rain water was great for my hair.

I when the water nude with some friends and I did not feel uptight. And when I lived in Northern Calf. it was common for people to take showers together to save water. I took a shower in the rain. I stood under the gutter when we had a rain storm . I was in Northern Calf. and not many people used the road.
It was one of the best shower I ever had. The rain water was great for my hair.

Doesn't rain that much in North California? I thought Americans are prudish when come to nudity especially skinny dipping and showering together. It sounds like European stuff to me.

Doesn't rain that much in North California? I thought Americans are prudish when come to nudity especially skinny dipping and showering together. It sounds like European stuff to me.

I'm not a native born American (but I'm a naturalized American citizen) and I don't consider myself prudish, just private.:naughty:

I'm not a native born American (but I'm a naturalized American citizen) and I don't consider myself prudish, just private.:naughty:

You never consider showing your souls to people when comes to skinny dipping? I thought of myself that if skinny dipping ever going to happen to me, I would not mind showing my 'good' soul to the people who are participating in.

If anyone here do not understand what I mean about 'soul'. Here the definition:

The spiritual or immaterial part of a human being or animal, regarded as immortal.

Seems to me "soul" being "spiritual" can't be "shown" to anyone. We don't have "spiritual eyes" to see"it".

A theological proposition-who has/what is -soul- which has been "debated for centuries". Appears to be "linked to human's free will"

Back