Bad Words in Sign Language

If interpreter refuse use bad words for anyone, they're not quality.

Yes, and that's exactly why it's best that deaf clients provide as much information as possible when requesting interpreters, and why interpreters should request as much information as possible. If an interpreter is uncomfortable with harsh language, she's probably safer taking professional appointments, like with lawyers or medical personnel. If the assignment is an AA meeting, she could reasonably expect to hear and interpret difficult stories and perhaps she avoids those for that reason.

It's definitely to interpreters' benefit to be able to be neutral about loaded language in any situation. Of course we're all just human and we have our issues with things, but the more flexible you are, the better interpreter you will be, interpreting SHIT THAT SUCK as "Shit, that sucks" and not "Shoot, that's too bad."

...any time we learned a non-bad sign that resembled a bad sign the instructor showed us the difference in order to not mix them up.

Oh yeah, ours did that too. And learning those similar-but-dangerous signs is very important. I actually have to remember to put my hand into a "gas nozzle" hand when signing GASOLINE, and not a different handshape. It's one of my weird little blocks, like how some people just can't spell a certain word. Also, when reminding my husband (who is nervous signing with deaf people because he thinks they will take his not signing much as an insult) how to sign NICE MEET YOU, I always make him do it once so I can make sure his palm orientation is correct! :shock:

When anyone asks me to tell them a curse word in sign language I just flip them the bird. They say "That's not really a sign" and I tell them "Yes it is! And you already know what it means!" And that seems to take the wind out of their sails.

ohh boy..I'm going thru this stage as well. My friends always ask me the bad sign names alot. And i'm like: "fine but you better not tell my interpreter cuz she'll kick my ass.." but i don't swear in front of my parents.. ( I dont'!!) but with friends yeah. :rolls eyes:

ohh boy..I'm going thru this stage as well. My friends always ask me the bad sign names alot. And i'm like: "fine but you better not tell my interpreter cuz she'll kick my ass.." but i don't swear in front of my parents.. ( I dont'!!) but with friends yeah. :rolls eyes:

Tell them this way - "That'll be $50"

Tell them this way - "That'll be $50"

lmao, that's smartt...i'll have to use that sometimes.. do u mean in signing or by talking?? My dad doesn't know much sign either. So I know most of the bad signs..the next time my dad asks me one i'll prob say that to him lol..:giggle:

lmao, that's smartt...i'll have to use that sometimes.. do u mean in signing or by talking?? My dad doesn't know much sign either. So I know most of the bad signs..the next time my dad asks me one i'll prob say that to him lol..:giggle:

Do it this way either talking, sign or both.

Dad: "Hey Darling..."
Me: "What?"

Dad: "I wonder how to say this......*bleep* "
Me: :shock:

Dad: "What's wrong with it?"
Me: "Oh yeah, that'll be $50 bucks!"

Dad: "Why?"
Me: "Becuase I ain't dumb"

:lol::rofl:

Dad call you darling?!?! Must be Australia way.

:roll::D:giggle::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: thats smartt...lol i'll use that

Dad call you darling?!?! Must be Australia way.

No, it was not the real side of my dad - I was just pretending to be coolgirlsper90 so she can just do what I suggested. I think you took the wrong way, son.

No, it was not the real side of my dad - I was just pretending to be coolgirlsper90 so she can just do what I suggested. I think you took the wrong way, son.

heehee...:D aww man i want to get my temparoly license soo bad...but i can't get it until i'm 15 and a half. my birthday is on august 26th... and my sister's birthday is next week on wednesday, she's turning 12 years old.

heehee...:D aww man i want to get my temparoly license soo bad...but i can't get it until i'm 15 and a half. my birthday is on august 26th... and my sister's birthday is next week on wednesday, she's turning 12 years old.

Gotta be patient. I have been driving for 5 years now :D

Thats all hearies ever want to learn is the bad signs. They don't want to know about grammar, classifiers, our culture, etc. And they wonder why we can't stand most of them :roll:

Back