Bad Words in Sign Language

No, no meggie - Shame on Pinky!!! :lol:

Thats all hearing people ever want to learn, The bad signs. :(

I can't stand hearing people!!

Thats all hearing people ever want to learn, The bad signs. :(

I can't stand hearing people!!

Might be better if you say, "most" as we have a bunch of hearing friends here.

Might be better if you say, "most" as we have a bunch of hearing friends here.
That's right; no stereotyping please. :P

It's bad enough that I have to put up with hearing people saying, "He (or she) swears like a drunken sailor." (Being a retired sailor who was neither drunken nor swearing.) :lol:

I was taught "the bad signs" in my ITP. It's something interpreters have to know along with everything else. We used the "Signs of" books and our teacher had a popular bit of instruction called "The F*ck Lecture," basically about all the different ways to use that word and how to make them conceptually accurate in sign.

If interpreter refuse use bad words for anyone, they're not quality.

jasin - just tell them, you MUST learn ASL first before learning the bad words, that's the last thing, we can do to tell them. Fuck the bad words. :lol:

I was taught "the bad signs" in my ITP. It's something interpreters have to know along with everything else. We used the "Signs of" books and our teacher had a popular bit of instruction called "The F*ck Lecture," basically about all the different ways to use that word and how to make them conceptually accurate in sign.
In my ITP we didn't specifically learn the "bad" words but any time we learned a non-bad sign that resembled a bad sign the instructor showed us the difference in order to not mix them up. I have a set of "Signs of" books in my home library. :) I attended something similar to your "The F*ck Lecture" only it was called "The Sh*t Workshop". :lol:

No wonder, why they wanted to know the rude words first, eh. We ain't that dumb, hmm? x

I get asked a lot too. To be honest, I only know two of them, but I don't actually use them. I decline to teach them. Mostly, because I don't see the point in teaching a swear word if that is the only ASL they learn. In otherwords, if they genuinely wanted to communicate with deaf people, and all they could do was swear at me, I'd be upset. Maybe other people wouldn't be? It would almost be controdictory to the language's purpose to teach swear words. Some people initially get upset but they understand after I explain my reasoning.

Back