Article : vocabulary growth in toddlers

Ohhh what's the matter baby? Can't even be a big man and accept the responsibilities of your comments?

At least u couldn't resist acknowledging my post, couldn't u? :giggle:

LOL! Rick is mad, and he is going to take his hackey sack and go home! He doesn't want to play anymore, because he's tired of getting picked on!:tears:

Poor wittle rickie! Just like all bulies, he can dish it out, but can't take it.

well now.. this thread has certainly kept me amused for the last half hour, chuckling at the trading of insults and horse/pony remarks, of course I have my own thoughts on the subject but will keep them to myself.

One thing I want to ask tho is, there have been several mentions of the different levels of success in children/adults both with HA and CI. Whilst it is unrealistic to expect everyone to reach the same level, how much impact does the input of parents/family etc have on the result, some parents may expect to just plonk a HA on a child or have them implanted and hey presto...have a hearing child, this may account for a large number of the "failures".

Another query, is there any corellation between the IQ level of the child and the sound perception/processing/speech (whatever you like to call it) I may be wrong but I would think that a more intelligent child would automatically benefit more from any form of assistance, be it HA, CI, oral or sign.

well now.. this thread has certainly kept me amused for the last half hour, chuckling at the trading of insults and horse/pony remarks, of course I have my own thoughts on the subject but will keep them to myself.

One thing I want to ask tho is, there have been several mentions of the different levels of success in children/adults both with HA and CI. Whilst it is unrealistic to expect everyone to reach the same level, how much impact does the input of parents/family etc have on the result, some parents may expect to just plonk a HA on a child or have them implanted and hey presto...have a hearing child, this may account for a large number of the "failures".

Another query, is there any corellation between the IQ level of the child and the sound perception/processing/speech (whatever you like to call it) I may be wrong but I would think that a more intelligent child would automatically benefit more from any form of assistance, be it HA, CI, oral or sign.

No, no correlation between sound perception or speech discrimination and IQ. There is a correlation between IQ and language use, however, but that holds true for hearing children as well.

No correlation...my brother is intelligent but couldn't benefit from is HAs like I do despite having the same level of hearing loss since birth. He is more intelligent than I am in some areas while I am more intelligent than him in some areas. No difference.

I see the same with numerous deaf/HOH people I have met since getting involved in the Deaf community 10 years ago.

Raykat, I take it you have never met one of my roomates. She had excellent speech and could have easily passed for hearing on speech alone. She was not very intelligent however. I still can't believe she failed communication classes in my high school. That class was so easy that all you had to listen and nod in the right places which is how my teacher described her class. Her own best friend described her as a bit thick and dense.

One of my ex boyfriends had no speech skills at all; he has better English skills than I do and that is saying a great deal. He's also a genius at computers; he was a legend in HS for being a genius with computers.

Every time hearing heard his speech, they'd tell him to shut up as they couldn't stand his voice.

You can't tell who's more intelligent on speech alone.

Last edited:
'Now you can't tell who's more intelligent on speech alone.'

Your roommate, deafskeptic. She's just lazy

Maybe I didnt explain myself fully enough. What I was getting at was the possibility of a more intelligent person being quicker to pick things up, more easily recognize and interpret new sounds coming thru HA or CI, sounds which had not been heard before. However this doesnt seem to be the case.

With HA I can recognize a siren, but not tell if it is fire engine, police or ambulance, an engine sound but not the diff between truck, train etc. One thing that never gets mistaken is my doorbell which is set to bark like a large dog,sscares the wits out of people...lol

I doubt that being able to learn to recognize sounds has any thing to do with your IQ.

Neither of my parents can recognize the difference between a fire , ambulance and the police sirens; they are hearing. My dad is a retired MD. I have no idea what sirens are like in your country.

I must say your questions makes me wonder what you really think of those of us who don't speak or sign only.

I doubt that being able to learn to recognize sounds has any thing to do with your IQ.

Neither of my parents can recognize the difference between a fire , ambulance and the police sirens; they are hearing. My dad is a retired MD. I have no idea what sirens are like in your country.

I must say your questions makes me wonder what you really think of those of us who don't speak or sign only.

Going by what hearing pp say when something whizzes past. i.e. thats an ambulance etc I assume they have quite diff sounds.

Why would I think any differently of those who dont speak, my questions are directed at the ease with which a person aclimatises to using HA or CI., nothing at all to do with whether they are oral or signing.

BTW I did not get HA until 5 yrs of age so I know something about the learning curve involved.

Well, here we go. You are not doing research. You are doing an academic search of other's research. Big difference jackie. And if you want to get down to brass tacks, I do engage actively in research, and this May, presented the results of 2 research designs that I created, ran, and wrote up to the Midwestern Psychological Association in Chicago. I can also give you my gpas for all of my degrees, but really don't think that it contributes anything to the thread.

BTW, nice excuse. Doesn't fly, though. Just another case of "Wah, wah! You're picking on me!"

Oh Jillio thank you. I had been wondering why your answers continually reminded me of the phycohologists that I've had contact with. They to could take a statement made by me and twist it into something else. Alot of times here I've read statements by other posters only to have you saying they mean something that the person didn't say. At least physcologists continue to be the same in my expericence. Hopefully I won't have to take my daughter back to one anytime soon.

Have a nice day.

LOL! Rick is mad, and he is going to take his hackey sack and go home! He doesn't want to play anymore, because he's tired of getting picked on!:tears:

Poor wittle rickie! Just like all bulies, he can dish it out, but can't take it.
:eek3:Someone's IQ just dropped a double digit... if that is possible...:eek3:

I know what you mean, Cloggy - and yet they say that WE are the ones who are resorting to playground mentality. *sigh*

Oh Jillio thank you. I had been wondering why your answers continually reminded me of the phycohologists that I've had contact with. They to could take a statement made by me and twist it into something else. Alot of times here I've read statements by other posters only to have you saying they mean something that the person didn't say. At least physcologists continue to be the same in my expericence. Hopefully I won't have to take my daughter back to one anytime soon.

Have a nice day.

Talk about twisting....have your read cloggy's posts lately? And its psychologist. Making a blanket judgement, are we? Actually, educational psychologists have done more to advance educational methodolgy that actually works for the student with learning differences than any other profession, including the educators. It is necessary to understand how the individual is processing the information in oder to understand where the deficits lie and make the accommodation necessary to compensate for them. There are numerous psychological subspecialties...perhaps your experience is with clinical only.

I know what you mean, Cloggy - and yet they say that WE are the ones who are resorting to playground mentality. *sigh*

One responds in manner that the one being responded to is capable of understanding.

Ever since reading this article, I have been watching my toddler relating to his language development. He is starting to show signs of spurts in vocabulary growth and he is 22 month old. It is so interesting to watch so thanks neecy for posting this article.

However, even though my son is hearing..he showing spurts of vocabulary growth in ASL but nothing in spoken language. He has a speech therapist coming in biweekly and she says that it is a good thing that I have exposed him to ASL since it looks like he has problems with speech development. Nope, he has no hearing losses as I took him to an audi for the 3rd time last week..passed and he stayed with his hearing grandmother full time while I worked so it is apparent that he either chose ASL as his preferred mode of language or has problems with auditory processing. Anyways, it is very interesting and fun to see the vocabulary growth spurts in him now which I probably wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't for reading this article.

Ever since reading this article, I have been watching my toddler relating to his language development. He is starting to show signs of spurts in vocabulary growth and he is 22 month old. It is so interesting to watch so thanks neecy for posting this article.

However, even though my son is hearing..he showing spurts of vocabulary growth in ASL but nothing in spoken language. He has a speech therapist coming in biweekly and she says that it is a good thing that I have exposed him to ASL since it looks like he has problems with speech development. Nope, he has no hearing losses as I took him to an audi for the 3rd time last week..passed and he stayed with his hearing grandmother full time while I worked so it is apparent that he either chose ASL as his preferred mode of language or has problems with auditory processing. Anyways, it is very interesting and fun to see the vocabulary growth spurts in him now which I probably wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't for reading this article.

Its good that you noticed that these spurts are occurring in his ASL usage. They occur as a developmental milestone no matter mode.

Have a nice day.

......... And its psychologist. ........
LMAO... you are correcting spelling now !!!

LMAO... you are correcting spelling now !!!

Only when the misspelling is glaringly obvious, and the missplelled word was the whole point of the post. Aren't the oral people supposed to have a wonderful command of English in all it forms?

Back