Question about weird behaving turn signals

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
This week, the turn signals in my Jeep have begun to act weird. I want to know if any of you have experienced this.

I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee. Four times this week, when I have the left turn signal on at a certain intersection, it stops for a couple of beats, then starts up again. Today, it also did that when I came back to the same intersection in the opposite direction, using the right turn signal. Then, about an hour later, when I was turning left out of a driveway, it stopped and started again.

This is getting me nervous.

It also can be the fuse or the bulb about to go out.

When I saw the topic title, the bulb about to go out was my first thought. That is usually (in my experience) indicated by the signal flashing faster than usual.

Its wise to bring your jeep to the car repair real asoon. IT could drops dead while you are driving.

Relay is responsible for making the bulb blinks.

Yes, it could be the metal connection inside the bulb that is getting loosen that is ready to break. bulb most likely to blinks everytime you hit potholes or rough bumps..

For Fuse, if the fuse go bad, the light WILL not work at all.

Its wise to bring your jeep to the car repair real asoon. IT could drops dead while you are driving.

I doubt that blinking issues will cause the jeep to drop dead. Unless it is electrical issues like short to power or similar as that, that could kill the battery. Only the battery is in danger to die. Unless the power touches the ground that fries the ECU lol.

When I saw the topic title, the bulb about to go out was my first thought. That is usually (in my experience) indicated by the signal flashing faster than usual.
Except for the pauses, the flashing rate is the same as before.

Do you have Digtial volt/amp/ohms meter? so you can test the relay to see if its good or bad?
Hubby does have the meter but he's not sure where that relay is located.

He called the service manager at the Jeep dealership to ask about the problem. The manager said that they can't tell what's wrong with it until it completely dies.

This week, the turn signals in my Jeep have begun to act weird. I want to know if any of you have experienced this.

I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee. Four times this week, when I have the left turn signal on at a certain intersection, it stops for a couple of beats, then starts up again. Today, it also did that when I came back to the same intersection in the opposite direction, using the right turn signal. Then, about an hour later, when I was turning left out of a driveway, it stopped and started again.

This is getting me nervous.

my friend's having that similar issue with her Buick Alero. also said that it seems that a change in climate is affecting it but I think not. Mechanic was of no help since it was working fine when she brought her car to shop. so I'll have to take a look at it myself.

you can easily search for electrical diagram online and download a PDF file. that's what I did 2 days ago when working on my motorcycle to do lot of wiring.

He called the service manager at the Jeep dealership to ask about the problem. The manager said that they can't tell what's wrong with it until it completely dies.
best if you go to a mechanic, not dealership. dealership is never willing to go thru hassle for this... mechanic does.

when a signal is blinking faster, it's because one of your turn signals or headlights or rear light has burnt out. this is the simplest and cheapest way to notify a driver that a bulb has gone bad. a modern high-tech luxury car can tell you which bulb has burnt out.

when a signal is blinking faster, it's because one of your turn signals or headlights or rear light has burnt out. this is the simplest and cheapest way to notify a driver that a bulb has gone bad. a modern high-tech luxury car can tell you which bulb has burnt out.

Yes, I know.

But before you dig that far, just replace the bulb and the fuse. that is faster to do than researching about how to fix the problem.. If its still the same problem after bulb and fuse replacement then it most likely to be the relay.

The manager at the Stealership said that they can't do anything until it completely dies is probably because they want that business profit money. That is why I call dealerships "Stealerships". I worked in automotive feild n thats how i saw the way it works lol.

If you want to save money, you can look up factory service manual PDF for 2000 Jeep Cherokee on google or jeep forums. They should tell you where the relay is located. And also should include diagnose instructions plus pictures so you can pinpoint the issues.

Back