Question about weird behaving turn signals

Talking about the battery, awhile back, had problems with my elec. windows,,and at times my door would not open, power seats would not go up/back, etc., etc. ...wasn't a "constant" thing, but very annoying!...Took it to my mechanic, and my battery was about dead....So I bought a new battery. Everything is fine now....

Yes, the computer controlled vehicles have BCM (Body Control Module) or other modules, the reason to add more modules for these vehicles is to reduce wires and wiring harnesses, means few wires under the dash or cluster like you see no flasher relay under the dash, you finally found bad external light module under the trunk after diagnose inoperative turn signal/tail lights. The small external light module have tiny built-in flashers or relays in the PC board (Print Circuit), you can not replace flasher or relay, buy a whole module from dealership to correct the turn sign light. Sorry I won't tell you what kind of the cars that I diagnose the electrical circuits.

Interesting, I'm guessing the cost us more than a flasher would cost at this point in time. There is a question on the ballot here to force car makers to give out service manuals and information for new models to level the playing field in automotive service. This is the right thing to do as consumers need ways to fix their own cars or take the to them an alternative shop. While I have a lot of friends who work in dealerships, there is no way dealers alone could service all the cars, just not possible.

Wirelessly posted (BB Curve 9300)

Jiro said:

Both blinkers blink at a steady, normal rate. The blinker stops and then starts again when I'm sitting at a traffic light, not moving or changing modes.

hhhmmmm................... sounds like a power interference or low power. I'm wondering if your battery may be going kaput.... your jeep is over 10 years old. when's the last time its battery was replaced?

for ie - when driving, your electrical system is being powered by stator but when stopped, your electrical system is being powered by battery.

Battery is about 18 months.

Both blinkers blink at a steady, normal rate. The blinker stops and then starts again when I'm sitting at a traffic light, not moving or changing modes.

I think there is something wrong with female sockets in rear tail light lens for poor contacts in the female sockets and bulbs. Were the bulbs replaced recently? If so maybe wrong bulbs. Just a though

I'm pretty sure there should be an aftermarket oil drain plug with proper size.

Also oversize threaded drain plugs. We have oversize plugs in a tray if the female threaded hole is stripped. The oversize threaded plug have self-tap, just install it with new gasket. No worry about metal chips leftover inside the oil pan.

Interesting, I'm guessing the cost us more than a flasher would cost at this point in time. There is a question on the ballot here to force car makers to give out service manuals and information for new models to level the playing field in automotive service. This is the right thing to do as consumers need ways to fix their own cars or take the to them an alternative shop. While I have a lot of friends who work in dealerships, there is no way dealers alone could service all the cars, just not possible.

Yes, they won't share their informations to the consumers for depth-in repair. Just basic DIY maintenance informations, often found in the owner manuals in the glove boxes. You will see no DIY oil/filter change in the owner manual anymore. I think it's EPA issue or complicate oil service procedure. If you own a new German car like BMW, you can not do oil/filter change at your home. Why? The owner manual will never tell or show you how to change oil/filter. Send it out to the dealership for maintenance services and they use factory scan tool to reset maintenance etc... Some German cars have no oil dipsticks in engines, how can you check oil level? Read owner manual and will tell you to input the navigation screen to see how much the oil need to refill. Everything changes.
They(dealerships) are happy with high technology vehicles, make big money money...

It could be a lot of reasons.

In a lot of modern vehicles, there's a feature where the blinker will blink faster if the light bulb is bad. (I learned this last month when I noticed my right signal was blinking normally, but my left blinker was blinking faster... and found out my rear left turn light was burnt out.)

Not only Modern cars, Old cars like in 70's 60's or 50's do blink fast when one blinker bulb burn out. I had same thing on my 67' Chevy C-10 pickup truck, 1969 CJ5 Jeep (old Postal Jeep), 1977 Corolla. All do blink fast and I knew it's the bulb burned out. The reason why relay make it blink fast is when one bulb burn out, it increased current flow thru relay which make bimetallic strip hotter which made it switching faster while normal circumstance it will blink normally. If trailer were hooked with turn signal/brake plugged in, it will blink more slowly. They sell heavy duty flasher relay use for trailer hookup.

Newer Electronic blinker relay won't tell you if one bulb burns out ect. Those are used for LED, incandescent or both in mix.

I've swapped motorcycle OEM flasher relay for LED flasher relay, It would work with incandescent bulb. I noticed it blinks bit longer than OEM and even if I removed rear turn signal, front turn signal would blink just like nothing as happened.

Have you ever mess with Christmas light flasher? I"ve had played with several christmas light flasher, one string of christmas light was no good but I had extra flashers in little bag taped on wire. I took it out and used it to different light strings, it did blink faster because the old one was longer than the new one.

Catty

I'm pretty sure there should be an aftermarket oil drain plug with proper size.

The hole is very large, as there is a metal oil particle screen that can be pulled out as well, so they have to use a big-ass plug. I am guessing that they needed to make the engine as small as possible, so putting that screen down there with the plug was one way. The screen is also about 4 inches long.

Good thing my parents sold it recently. Cute car, but a pain to work on. Battery is under the passenger floorboard behind the carpet and a plastic cover, pain in the ass to get to when they need a jump.

Also, the automatic is not a true automatic: they call it an automatic-manual....you need to lift your foot off the gas if you want it to upshift, otherwise it will stay at 6000RPM the whole time. When you turn the key to start, there is a 2 second delay before the engine cranks over....highly irritating. Another safety feature from what the dealer said...

When youre signals start acting weird, it usually means one of your lights are out. Check your rear lights.

The hole is very large, as there is a metal oil particle screen that can be pulled out as well, so they have to use a big-ass plug. I am guessing that they needed to make the engine as small as possible, so putting that screen down there with the plug was one way. The screen is also about 4 inches long.

Good thing my parents sold it recently. Cute car, but a pain to work on. Battery is under the passenger floorboard behind the carpet and a plastic cover, pain in the ass to get to when they need a jump.

Also, the automatic is not a true automatic: they call it an automatic-manual....you need to lift your foot off the gas if you want it to upshift, otherwise it will stay at 6000RPM the whole time. When you turn the key to start, there is a 2 second delay before the engine cranks over....highly irritating. Another safety feature from what the dealer said...

I've seen the batteries are tucking in very tight spaces of the vehicles. One nasty battery replacement is Dodge Intrepid that you need to remove the right front tire, unscrew the inner fender mud flap/well cover, access the battery inside the fender just next to the rear of the headlight housing.

One heavy job handle is BMW X5, you need to take a heavy spare tire out of the well and unscrew the "X" plates, flip the "X" plate, lift the big white battery out of the spare well. No fun with back injury. Just a thou

Back