Question about weird behaving turn signals

Relay is responsible for making the bulb blinks.

Yes, it could be the metal connection inside the bulb that is getting loosen that is ready to break. bulb most likely to blinks everytime you hit potholes or rough bumps..

For Fuse, if the fuse go bad, the light WILL not work at all.

that's what I was thinking. loose metal connection. or turn signal relay is about to go kaput. only a $15-20 part at autozone. I believe most electrical unit is typically located under the driver dashboard or behind fusebox.... could be located under passenger seat.

you can easily search for electrical diagram online and download a PDF file. that's what I did 2 days ago when working on my motorcycle to do lot of wiring.

best if you go to a mechanic, not dealership. dealership is never willing to go thru hassle for this... mechanic does.
I'm not going to the dealership. TCS just called them for info.

I'm not going to the dealership. TCS just called them for info.

dealership is never that helpful. liability issue. best to call a mechanic or perhaps inquire around in Jeep enthusiast forum.

Apparently it is a common thing among Cherokees:

Push the relay into its base to be sure it is not loose. If that doesn't fix the problem, pull the relay out and replace it.

This video shows how much of a pain it is to get to the relay, best if you do it yourself instead of paying a mechanic: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTOG7J9dvmo]Jeep Cherokee blinker / flasher relay how to location repair - YouTube[/ame]

Turn signal relay-Where is it?! - Jeep Cherokee Forum

Maybe you need to renew your membership to the Navy Clandestine Activities Sector??? :lol:

My motorcycle did that before the battery lost charge.
blink blink [ ] blink [ ] blink blink blink [ ] [ ]....
It was like some kind of morse code.

This week, the turn signals in my Jeep have begun to act weird. I want to know if any of you have experienced this.

I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee. Four times this week, when I have the left turn signal on at a certain intersection, it stops for a couple of beats, then starts up again. Today, it also did that when I came back to the same intersection in the opposite direction, using the right turn signal. Then, about an hour later, when I was turning left out of a driveway, it stopped and started again.

This is getting me nervous.

Maybe there is a lose connection and when you take a left turn is make your turn signals act weird. Has your car had it inspection for the year yet, it not you'll need to get this fixed.

My motorcycle did that before the battery lost charge.
blink blink [ ] blink [ ] blink blink blink [ ] [ ]....
It was like some kind of morse code.
I've been watching my electrical gauge, and it's not draining or flickering.

Maybe there is a lose connection and when you take a left turn is make your turn signals act weird.
It happens while I'm just sitting at the light.

Has your car had it inspection for the year yet, it not you'll need to get this fixed.
We don't get annual inspections here.

Easiest thing to do is replace all the signal bulbs. Especially with an older jeep. That is a cheap test fix.

Apparently it is a common thing among Cherokees:
Push the relay into its base to be sure it is not loose. If that doesn't fix the problem, pull the relay out and replace it.
This video shows how much of a pain it is to get to the relay, best if you do it yourself instead of paying a mechanic.

The video helped. That is what I am going to do, replace the relay. :ty:

Maybe there is a lose connection and when you take a left turn is make your turn signals act weird. Has your car had it inspection for the year yet, it not you'll need to get this fixed.

Inspection? We live in the free living, do whatever you want, jack it up three feet higher and remove the muffler state of SC. :P

But before you dig that far, just replace the bulb and the fuse. that is faster to do than researching about how to fix the problem.. If its still the same problem after bulb and fuse replacement then it most likely to be the relay.

The manager at the Stealership said that they can't do anything until it completely dies is probably because they want that business profit money. That is why I call dealerships "Stealerships". I worked in automotive feild n thats how i saw the way it works lol.

If you want to save money, you can look up factory service manual PDF for 2000 Jeep Cherokee on google or jeep forums. They should tell you where the relay is located. And also should include diagnose instructions plus pictures so you can pinpoint the issues.

Agreed with you. I used work for dealership before. What's a big rip off and made a BIG profit over tiny thing.

Reba, Check your bulb to make sure it dont have corrosion. If corrosion then replace the new bulb and the new plug. If no corrosion then replace the new relay. Agreed with them about relay issue.

I love the posters here to helping you out. Good.. I would suspect the ground circuit may play role of strange turn signal lights. Before I can or may pinpoint the electrical problems. Here is questions: Have your car repairs recently? Any recent add-on aftermarket parts such as install trailer light socket assy or rear camera device etc...?

Hey, NIsmoS14, you mention about relay right? This relay called Combination Flasher.

How can you determine if the combination flasher is good or bad? Simple turn Hazard switch on to verify the 4 lights flashing, is combination flasher is good. If no flashing with hazard and turn signal switches on, is check fuses 1st, if fuses ok then check combination flasher if ok then check power at the connector of turn signal/hazard switch under the steering column with test light. Make sure there is 12 voltage circuit. Do not use a test light to probe the high tech electrical circuits.

If you see any sign of corroded in bulb sockets or connectors like The Highlander mentioned. Pay close attention on the female socket where the bulb in, sign of contacts for shorted or uncontact or melted plastic socket or connector.
Look for water insruded inside the len assy. If none of them last check is ground circuits. If recently auto body work, u better check ground wires in where the damaged repair area of the body.

when a signal is blinking faster, it's because one of your turn signals or headlights or rear light has burnt out. this is the simplest and cheapest way to notify a driver that a bulb has gone bad. a modern high-tech luxury car can tell you which bulb has burnt out.

Last month ago, I was in another station as a sub smog tech, I watched a mechanic to diagnosing the tail lights of a 2008? Mercedes Benz CL500 AMG, he was not able to find what is wrong with one tail light after he replaced a new bulb. He asked me u know anything about the electrical (this mechanic is a foreign born, can't read or understand the electrical circuit). I look up the electrical diaphragm and interpret for him. From what I read the electrical is the power feed to the tail light is by one each feed from module not share with other wires of the tail lights. I was shocked and stumped but I double check the module that integrated with fuses and relays as built in unit. I confirmed the module is defective because this module didn't send power to one tail light. I was told the module cost around $600. Customer pick up her car.. I feel bad but what MBZ are about....

But before you dig that far, just replace the bulb and the fuse. that is faster to do than researching about how to fix the problem.. If its still the same problem after bulb and fuse replacement then it most likely to be the relay.

The manager at the Stealership said that they can't do anything until it completely dies is probably because they want that business profit money. That is why I call dealerships "Stealerships". I worked in automotive feild n thats how i saw the way it works lol.

If you want to save money, you can look up factory service manual PDF for 2000 Jeep Cherokee on google or jeep forums. They should tell you where the relay is located. And also should include diagnose instructions plus pictures so you can pinpoint the issues.

Stealerships? :laugh2:

Last month ago, I was in another station as a sub smog tech, I watched a mechanic to diagnosing the tail lights of a 2008? Mercedes Benz CL500 AMG, he was not able to find what is wrong with one tail light after he replaced a new bulb. He asked me u know anything about the electrical (this mechanic is a foreign born, can't read or understand the electrical circuit). I look up the electrical diaphragm and interpret for him. From what I read the electrical is the power feed to the tail light is by one each feed from module not share with other wires of the tail lights. I was shocked and stumped but I double check the module that integrated with fuses and relays as built in unit. I confirmed the module is defective because this module didn't send power to one tail light. I was told the module cost around $600. Customer pick up her car.. I feel bad but what MBZ are about....

:eek3:

Back