Not Deaf enough??

A film tip about new signers perspective:

http://www.bslzone.co.uk/watch/my-song/

That was good. Thanks for posting it.
Indeed your always going to runacross the A hole, which is what the Deafie bald witH glasses was.
No doubt.
I liked.how it showedbthe audism wit hearie,
why she wants to see.the hearie chump again is beyond me, but loneliness will drive some to anyone.
Ah well...

Thanks for all the kind words about the movie. I see much hope in the movie. Most of the characters behave awfully, but things don't have to stay that way. The mum seems to support her daughter. She even learnt how to sign "sorry" and does try to understand what the daughter is going through. Maybe the man in the glasses will understand how terribly he acted? And even if he will not, I am sure the girl will get other more understanding Deaf friends. It also seems that her relationship with her hearing friends will likely improve with time, because she is learning how to say no and how to explain to hearing how they need to change in order to communicate well. It is also clear that she does not need to be friends with everyone. She should focus on the people who accept her as she is, both hearing and Deaf. I think she will find people who are kind and supportive. It really is hard when you feel you don't belong anywhere. However, things can change and there are good people out there too.

One of the things..... we need to get rid of the mentality that Deaf culture is unfriendly. Yes, there are "deafer then thou" people..... but I know SO MANY raised HOH people who are terrified to get involved with Deaf culture and learn ASL, b/c they're terrified they'll get rejected.

One of the things..... we need to get rid of the mentality that Deaf culture is unfriendly. Yes, there are "deafer then thou" people..... but I know SO MANY raised HOH people who are terrified to get involved with Deaf culture and learn ASL, b/c they're terrified they'll get rejected.

Or have been...

Every culture has its means and ways of acceptance.
Deaf are no different.
We have our Culture and we have our way on how and who we accept.
If a person.doesnt want to or refuses to sign then clearly we wont accept them..
Other then that we are s very open minded.culure.
If onecsnnot.bring themselves to sign then yeah Deaf are not for you...

Deaf are no different.
If a person.doesnt want to or refuses to sign then clearly we wont accept them..

Even though I completely agree with you, in her case, she was learning, and trying and she was reject for not being perfect. Hell everyone has to start somewhere. And I believe people can be nicer and not act holier than thou, no matter what culture...
It would be a different story if she didn't even try to sign
Ya know what I mean?

Deaf are no different.

True...but it has also been my experience that one must learn sign...therein may lay some difficulty... Sometimes classes are not available or the person cannot afford it...other times people are turned from classes... Then there are some that there is no one around to actual practice or learn with besides other students .... My path to learning sign has been a hard one and one I haven't given up on...but still for those around me I am not deaf enough ... Think another barrier is that I am not Christian so have another dark mark since the deaf here are all centered in the church... Which lead to interesting conversations ...

Even though I completely agree with you, in her case, she was learning, and trying and she was reject for not being perfect. Hell everyone has to start somewhere. And I believe people can be nicer and not act holier than thou, no matter what culture...
It would be a different story if she didn't even try to sign
Ya know what I mean?

She was rejected by an asshole, but she was accepted by a another Deaf,
Its just
One had a heart the other didnt...
You will come across asholes, you will come across good guys...
We know sign doesnt hsppen over night....
We accept those who are sencere and those who wish to be Deaf...
I know what you mean.i undeestand,
I think.the film did s good job portraying the asshole, "purist" and the accpeting guy...

True...but it has also been my experience that one must learn sign...therein may lay some difficulty... Sometimes classes are not available or the person cannot afford it...other times people are turned from classes... Then there are some that there is no one around to actual practice or learn with besides other students .... My path to learning sign has been a haryes.d one and one I haven't given up on...but still for those around me I am not deaf enough ... Think another barrier is that I am not Christian so have another dark mark since the deaf here are all centered in the church... Which lead to interesting conversations ...

Yes.
Deaf lack rhe loot and resources for out reach re sign and those who wish to be Deaf.
just imagine if we had rhe same jugurnaught o billions that ci conpanies have.....
But we dont..
So we do out reach and oe teach oir sign the bwst way we can for the limited means we have

True...but it has also been my experience that one must learn sign...therein may lay some difficulty... Sometimes classes are not available or the person cannot afford it...other times people are turned from classes... Then there are some that there is no one around to actual practice or learn with besides other students .... My path to learning sign has been a hard one and one I haven't given up on...but still for those around me I am not deaf enough ... Think another barrier is that I am not Christian so have another dark mark since the deaf here are all centered in the church... Which lead to interesting conversations ...

Turned away for what reason?

Turned away for what reason?

Turn away from what the classes? Simple I was not a deaf child...and as an adult who could read lips I was not considered disabled and not able to use the service... The classes offered cost twice what my monthly bills are...the other classes were just basic ABC... Tried going to a few and it was hell to say it kindly....

Yes.
Deaf lack rhe loot and resources for out reach re sign and those who wish to be Deaf.
just imagine if we had rhe same jugurnaught o billions that ci conpanies have.....
But we dont..
So we do out reach and oe teach oir sign the bwst way we can for the limited means we have

Mmm yes it would be nice.... Everyone needs to be able to dream a little...
I am thankful to the fact that someone did reach out to me. ... Think without him I would have gone nuts a long time ago.

Turn away from what the classes? Simple I was not a deaf child...and as an adult who could read lips I was not considered disabled and not able to use the service... The classes offered cost twice what my monthly bills are...the other classes were just basic ABC... Tried going to a few and it was hell to say it kindly....

I am confused when you said that you was not a deaf child and that you lipread hearing/Oral people. So did the hearing parents and family forced you to attend the mainstream or public schools trying to understand what hearing teachers and hearing students said in the classrooms?

Also that does not make any sense that the ASL classes offer only alphabet signs. It is more than that. Just make sure there is a Deaf teacher that teach the whole package like fingerspell (alphabet signs) signs, sign words, even including how to make sentences plus learning about Deaf Culture.

I know what it is like to be Oral in the Mainstream schools that don't allow us to learn how to sign ASL and then have a ASL interpreters in classrooms. I was there, too, as a deaf oral student in elementary and high schools. It was very frustrating and very depressing.

Also it is the same thing with family members like parents and siblings who don't understand what you and I suffered not understand what hearing people said. Like in the film, the young girl had a hard time understand her mother's boyfriend who had full beard and moved his hands over his mouth that it is hard for her to understand him. She had talked with her mother about that. But she refused to believe that her daughter is deaf and still insisting that she do her best to understand him. But that goes South as it was not working out. That is very common to all hearing families believing that deaf oral children can cope with lipreading and understanding with hearing aid or CI. But that is what we struggled with it. It does not make our life easier. That is why we need ASL or BSL (film) to be able to communicate and to understand Deaf people.

The guy with the bald head and glasses were not nice to her just because he had never experience himself in the oral public schools. He has a hearing aid and went to Deaf school. He is a jerk to Oral deaf person like her. I understand where she was or is coming from.

Last edited:
I am confused when you said that you was not a deaf child and that you lipread hearing/Oral people. So did the hearing parents and family forced you to attend the mainstream or public schools trying to understand what hearing teachers and hearing students said in the classrooms?

Also that does not make any sense that the ASL classes offer only alphabet signs. It is more than that. Just make sure there is a Deaf teacher that teach the whole package like fingerspell (alphabet signs) signs, sign words, even including how to make sentences plus learning about Deaf Culture.

I know what it is like to be Oral in the Mainstream schools that don't allow us to learn how to sign ASL and then have a ASL interpreters in classrooms. I was there, too, as a deaf oral students in elementary and high schools. It was very frustrating and very depressing.

Also it is the same thing with family members like parents and siblings who don't understand what you and I suffered not understand what hearing people said. Like in the film, the young girl had a hard time understand her mother's boyfriend who had full beard and moved his hands over his mouth that it is hard for her to understand him. She had talked with her mother about that. But she refused to believe that her daughter is deaf and still insisting that she do her best to understand him. But that goes South as it was not working out. That is very common to all hearing families believing that deaf oral children can cope with lipreading and understanding with hearing aid or CI. But that is what we struggled with it. It does not make our life easier. That is why we need ASL or BSL (film) to be able to communicate and to understand Deaf people.

The guy with the bald head and glasses were not nice to her just because he had never experience himself in the oral public schools. He has a hearing aid and went to Deaf school. He is a jerk to Oral deaf person like her. I understand where she was or is coming from.

I was born hoh...went to public school.... Ear issues caused hearing to fluctuate from moderate to profound loss throughout my life until I was 31.... I was not told...I always thought this was normal...was told not to talk about it...it was all in my head...so from young age learned to pretend...act...did so well I convinced my self it was just a minor issue....learned how to pass the hearing test and get into navy.... Faked for so long it became my life...doctors told my parents I would be deaf by time I was 30.... Doctors told me that as an adult on my exit exam from the navy.... I tried several times to learn sign.... But every time run into a wall... So bounce off and go again....
Well 30 came...have kids...hunsabd...and still a "little" hearing issue but all is okay.... Figure hmm doctors were wrong.... 31...hearing starts decreasing without normal increases ... Kept doing that... Then I woke up one day to nothing...hearing aids didnt work...figured they were broke.... Nope...so I see doctor and he says that the deafness is complete and will remain that way, go get implant... I asked how it helps...he said it most likely wouldn't but you will still get one to be "normal".... No..... I am normal as me. Sign I will learn and eventually get... Told I do okay and fine..but in truth I know it is horrible lol but I am learning...

I know what it is like to be Oral in the Mainstream schools that don't allow us to learn how to sign ASL and then have a ASL interpreters in classrooms. I was there, too, as a deaf oral students in elementary and high schools. It was very frustrating and very depressing.

As for the video...yes I understand...very much so...

I may have been confused. I think I thought you were talking about being turned away from a college level class, but I may have missed something in between. I couldn't fathom how anyone would be turned away from an ASL class of their choosing at a paid college class. Have you looked into community Ed ASL classes or are there none in your area? Those are far far cheaper.

I may have been confused. I think I thought you were talking about being turned away from a college level class, but I may have missed something in between. I couldn't fathom how anyone would be turned away from an ASL class of their choosing at a paid college class. Have you looked into community Ed ASL classes or are there none in your area? Those are far far cheaper.

Not college...the colleges when I last looked did not offer. The ones offered go through hospitals ... The hospitals say no that I can read lips and it would "mess me up" and cause legal issues... A bunch of bs reasons given...they send me to VR...VR says not available because not feasible for employment...go to the independent living, independent living says go to hospitals because i can read lips ...around and around I go... So i stepped out of circle and go to live print and other websites, text books, along with watching videos... Have someone that is willing to and does help online... And local friend who was mainstreamed and helps when we can get together....
Sorry do not mean to confuse anyone...

Are you near Georgia Perimeter College?

Back