Not Deaf enough??

No...

Are you near Georgia Perimeter College?

Thank you for asking...I found something new while looking up that college! That I either overlooked or missed :) won't be until later but it will surely help. Thank you :)

Thank you for asking...I found something new while looking up that college! That I either overlooked or missed :) won't be until later but it will surely help. Thank you :)
You're very welcome. :)

Overcome what exactly?
Whats so hard to fathom, about amongst russians speak russian, amongst japanse speak japanese, amongst Deaf SIGN That each culture has its rules as to who they accept and who they dont, and one must have some criteria as to how they measure belonging, and not Belonging.

Being Deaf isn't a nationality. The cultures you mention don't just depend on language alone.

If you want to equate Deaf with Russian ethniciy or Spanish ethniciy, then everyone with hearing loss is Deaf because we all have a common trait which is hearing loss, a physical disposition.

Moreover, you can be a Russian citizen, but not be of Russian decent. On the other hand, you cannot be deaf without having hearing loss. It wouldn't matter how much ASL experience you have, you still cannot be deaf.

Being Deaf isn't a nationality. The cultures you mention don't just depend on language alone.

If you want to equate Deaf with Russian ethniciy or Spanish ethniciy, then everyone with hearing loss is Deaf because we all have a common trait which is hearing loss, a physical disposition.

Moreover, you can be a Russian citizen, but not be of Russian decent. On the other hand, you cannot be deaf without having hearing loss. It wouldn't matter how much ASL experience you have, you still cannot be deaf.

What Hoichi meant that we need to feel belong to the Deaf communities no matter what different cultures and nationalities we came from. We rely on ASL or other countries for the Deaf rely on their home sign language to communicate. He just saying that other countries like Russia or Japan where hearing people are used to be in their own culture and tradition but still Deaf people in those countries really need their own Deaf Culture to feel belong in the Deaf communities.

What I don't understand your comment is that it wouldn't matter how much ASL experience you have, you still cannot be deaf.

You know perfectly well we have hearing aids and others have CI but still we are lost in not getting to understand hearing people in the hearing world. That is the reason why we need to feel to belong in the Deaf communities. We are still deaf and hard of hearing as long as anyone want to sign ASL in the Deaf communities and to understand about our Deaf Culture.

CODAs, children of deaf adults, often have no hearing loss, but they can be part of the Deaf culture. They might be fluent in sign and might enjoy going to Deaf gatherings because they feel at home there. This does not mean they don't have a hearing identity as well, but they can feel as a part of the Deaf community. This differs from person to person.

[

Indeed we are not a nationality. a better way to view us is as a minority culture. Nationality is seperate from culture. While i was using russian or spanish or italian as a culture and language you seem to have gotten a passport from my statements. Which was my fault for not being clear. Plenty of cultures,and linguistic minorities exist while not having a nation state or nationality.
Deaf are a cultur Minority. and a linguistic minority. We decide who we wish to be accepted amongst us. As every culture does in its own way. Oir measure of that acceptence is oir SIGN. You may not like it. But its our culrure.
Our rules.

Only an outsider would hold that idea. I wasnt equating. What i was doing was using examples to illustrate a point. But we csn conpsre Deaf to other minkrity cultures if that would better aid youur understanding. As fof your above statement its just the medical model of deafness. Which we Deaf do NOT adhere to. It has little bearing on who we accept. Show up to our events or gatherings and toss around your aduogram all you want.
If you wont sign. You will never be one of us. adiogram or not. Really what your adiogram states mens nothing to us If your not going to sign..or refuse to sign. Wave your adiogram all you like, it just messures your lack of something. Meh..if your going to flap your lips like a hearie parrot that adiogram wont help you much with us. Take my signs for it.
We are Deaf!

Actually you can be culturaly Deaf with out hearing loss. coda who sign are accepted.
Our measure is sign.
NOT an adiogram.
The quicker you accept that the better..

CODAs, children of deaf adults, often have no hearing loss, but they can be part of the Deaf culture. They might be fluent in sign and might enjoy going to Deaf gatherings because they feel at home there. This does not mean they don't have a hearing identity as well, but they can feel as a part of the Deaf community. This differs from person to person.

What about kids with apraxia or other conditions that inhibit their spoken expressive language who use ASL as an expressive language? Not talking about profoundly and severely intellectucally disabled kids who use a handful of signs ...but kids who while they have perfect hearing have issues that inhibit clear spoken language.

I've been wondering a bit about this, I have SSD and I feel as though no one thinks its that bad because I still have one good ear (for now, as it's slowly declining). However, I struggle every day with understanding what is going on unless I am in a completely quiet environment and have subtitles in front of me, which lets face it, are only there when I am watching something. If I am trying to talk to someone, no matter how many times I tell them not to mumble or speak clearly so I can follow along with what they are saying and read their lips, they turn their head away or turn completely around to speak and I miss a majority of the conversation. This is every day. I may not qualify to get help with my hearing aids (since I make little money) because I am "not deaf enough." I understand I am not completely deaf, but that doesn't mean I don't struggle.

I've been wondering a bit about this, I have SSD and I feel as though no one thinks its that bad because I still have one good ear (for now, as it's slowly declining). However, I struggle every day with understanding what is going on unless I am in a completely quiet environment and have subtitles in front of me, which lets face it, are only there when I am watching something. If I am trying to talk to someone, no matter how many times I tell them not to mumble or speak clearly so I can follow along with what they are saying and read their lips, they turn their head away or turn completely around to speak and I miss a majority of the conversation. This is every day. I may not qualify to get help with my hearing aids (since I make little money) because I am "not deaf enough." I understand I am not completely deaf, but that doesn't mean I don't struggle.

Can you sign ASL or sign language? Fluently?

I don't know where is Joplin locate. What state is that?

If you can sign sign language or ASL including Deaf Culture, then you might be already a member of the Deaf Community and Deaf events. :hmm:

If you can sign sign language or ASL including Deaf Culture, then you might be already a member of the Deaf Community and Deaf events. :hmm:

Joplin is in Missouri

I am currently learning ASL. Hearing loss is genetic for me and since my hearing in my good ear will most likely be gone in the next few years, I need to be able to communicate, especially for whenever I have kids, who will be at risk for hearing loss as well.

Joplin is in Missouri. Easily remembered for the massive tornado that destroyed a large part of our city four years ago.

Thank you, Botti. I have never been to Missouri so I don't know the towns there. Cool. Missouri was or is still famous for oral only method instead of ASL. Right? :(

Yes you are right it is, and that is where I spent the majority of my childhood.

Yes you are right it is, and that is where I spent the majority of my childhood.

You are from Joplin? Do you happen to know if there is a deaf community there? I've been trying to find people to meet up with, its so hard. I have one good friend who is deaf and he just moved from Springfield so he is trying to find people as well.

Joplin is in Missouri

Probably. Unless there are some that are less well known. For example the town I live in is named Centralia and there are several of them scattered across the country. Salem is another that there are several in different states.

That is assuming you are talking about just the US. When it comes to Boston there is at least one in BOTH the US and UK.

You are from Joplin? Do you happen to know if there is a deaf community there? I've been trying to find people to meet up with, its so hard. I have one good friend who is deaf and he just moved from Springfield so he is trying to find people as well.

No, sorry to give you the wrong impression. I spent a good part of my childhood in the Kansas City area.

Probably. Unless there are some that are less well known. For example the town I live in is named Centralia and there are several of them scattered across the country. Salem is another that there are several in different states.

That is assuming you are talking about just the US. When it comes to Boston there is at least one in BOTH the US and UK.

There is one after Las Vegas, Nevada. There is Las Vegas, New Mexico. Confusing, eh???? :cool2:

I am currently learning ASL. Hearing loss is genetic for me and since my hearing in my good ear will most likely be gone in the next few years, I need to be able to communicate, especially for whenever I have kids, who will be at risk for hearing loss as well.

Joplin is in Missouri. Easily remembered for the massive tornado that destroyed a large part of our city four years ago.

Good on you for being proactive! I think its very useful for even unilateral people to learn ASL, as a second language "just in case.

Back