Not Deaf enough??

No, sorry to give you the wrong impression. I spent a good part of my childhood in the Kansas City area.

Is Joplin near Kansas City? If it is, then Milly's got a resource since Olathe Kansas (where Kansas School for the Deaf is) is a suburb of KC.

Is Joplin near Kansas City? If it is, then Milly's got a resource since Olathe Kansas (where Kansas School for the Deaf is) is a suburb of KC.

No, Joplin is about three hours south of KC

Haha, there's a town in Missouri called California!

Good on you for being proactive! I think its very useful for even unilateral people to learn ASL, as a second language "just in case.

Thank you! I just feel it's the right thing to do. My brothers and sister in law are all learning with me. It's quite nice.

I have heard of the School for the Deaf in or around KC.

If KC, which I'm assuming they do, has a group that meets once a month, I would so go. I can't seem to find anyone in Joplin, and being here without any friends who have hearing loss (besides the grandparents) is really hard. People forget about my hearing or don't seem to care or understand it.

Thank you! I just feel it's the right thing to do. My brothers and sister in law are all learning with me. It's quite nice.

I have heard of the School for the Deaf in or around KC.

If KC, which I'm assuming they do, has a group that meets once a month, I would so go. I can't seem to find anyone in Joplin, and being here without any friends who have hearing loss (besides the grandparents) is really hard. People forget about my hearing or don't seem to care or understand it.

The trouble is that Missouri is VERY oral. It doesn't even have any dhh programs. ..... How far away is Joplin from St Louis or Fulton? Those are the other two sizable places to find deaf/ASL stuff.

The trouble is that Missouri is VERY oral. It doesn't even have any dhh programs. ..... How far away is Joplin from St Louis or Fulton? Those are the other two sizable places to find deaf/ASL stuff.

What??? :lol:

http://mcdhh.mo.gov/ Here are some links for dhh services in Missouri!

St Louis Is a five hour drive and I've just bought a house with 30 year mortgage lol! I'm stuck here. I'm starting to notice that though. My audiologist said that there was a group that met once a month but she hasn't heard much about them in a couple years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using AllDeaf App mobile app

Adiologiost rarely have any thing good to say re sign or Deaf culture. its not suprising she isnt in the loop regarding us..

Really? You would think they'd be helpful with that. I guess they just care about money. I'm up to my nose in debt because of all the tests they run on me. Haha I have one friend who is hard of hearing but he just moved here and he's thinking of leaving =(

Adiologiost rarely have any thing good to say re sign or Deaf culture. its not suprising she isnt in the loop regarding us..

My audiologist is au courant . Do you even go to an audiologist? :lol:

Really? You would think they'd be helpful with that. I guess they just care about money. I'm up to my nose in debt because of all the tests they run on me. Haha I have one friend who is hard of hearing but he just moved here and he's thinking of leaving =(

Well their job is to mske you hearie, so its not suprising adiologist are not sign friendly or into Deaf culture
Besides the ones at deafie school, i doubt you will find msny adioogist who actually sign..
The entire point of adiologists ie to make you hearie...or try to...

I guess it just depends on who you go to then? Haha I always liked my audiologist. Haven't seen her in a while though. Hopefully she know more since I've last seen her.

I can't believe I'm seeing people post about Joplin. I was born and raised in Carthage MO, about 20 minutes away from Joplin.

Sorry. Although I was HoH while young, I was the only person, apart from my own Mom, who I knew with hearing problems. I have seen 'as from afar' the occasional Deaf person as an adult--but never met a Deaf person, personally, until around the time I joined this forum. If there is a Deaf community in Missouri I don't know of it. However, there is a Missouri Association of the Deaf. I will get the website.

Come to think of it--in the 1990's, while visiting family back home, I noticed several local churches in the Carthage/Joplin area interpreted for the Deaf. Most of the television networks are based in Joplin (or Pittsburgh Kansas, a stone's throw away). I'm going to Google some things and get back to you.

I do believe that it was Central Institute For the Deaf here in St. Louis which emphasized the oral method only. No idea if that was a statewide policy.

What I don't understand your comment is that it wouldn't matter how much ASL experience you have, you still cannot be deaf.

My point was that I did not believe ASL alone was enough for admission to Deaf culture. But, as Swedeafa stated, "CODAs, children of deaf adults, often have no hearing loss, but they can be part of the Deaf culture". If that is true, then the only requirement is ASL. I thought there was more to it than that. However, this is the same view held by hoichi, "Actually you can be culturaly Deaf with out hearing loss. coda who sign are accepted. Our measure is sign. NOT an adiogram. The quicker you accept that the better.. "

From a philosophical perspective, what are the beliefs of current Deaf Culture members? What do they all believe in that makes it a culture?

My point was that I did not believe ASL alone was enough for admission to Deaf culture. But, as Swedeafa stated, "CODAs, children of deaf adults, often have no hearing loss, but they can be part of the Deaf culture". If that is true, then the only requirement is ASL. I thought there was more to it than that. However, this is the same view held by hoichi, "Actually you can be culturaly Deaf with out hearing loss. coda who sign are accepted. Our measure is sign. NOT an adiogram. The quicker you accept that the better.. "

From a philosophical perspective, what are the beliefs of current Deaf Culture members? What do they all believe in that makes it a culture?

Deaf members can give a better answer, but in short I would say there needs to be some sort of understanding of the culture and history in addition to language skills. There might be differences in how you get someone's attention, common opinions and values within the group, what behavior is considered polite or not, and so on. CODAs get these things in the same way as they get the language. It is not any stranger than that all groups or societies develop different norms over time. What is the requirement for being considered American, Scandinavian or a writer? It depends on the context and who you ask. Language is one of the clearest criteria that can be "measured". But why specify criteria? Usually it is clear if you belong to a group or not.

Deaf members can give a better answer, but in short I would say there needs to be some sort of understanding of the culture and history in addition to language skills. There might be differences in how you get someone's attention, common opinions and values within the group, what behavior is considered polite or not, and so on. CODAs get these things in the same way as they get the language. It is not any stranger than that all groups or societies develop different norms over time. What is the requirement for being considered American, Scandinavian or a writer? It depends on the context and who you ask. Language is one of the clearest criteria that can be "measured". But why specify criteria? Usually it is clear if you belong to a group or not.

The requirement for being an American is citizenship.

The criteria is needed by those who might want to be accepted.

Back