Gas price expect to soar again

DeafSCUBA98

Reaction score
OMG! :eek: one gas station in Phoenix is $3.79 a Gal of gas!?!?!
My home town is $1.72 a gal of gas.. what's urs?

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/SavingandDebt/P58879.asp

The nation's drivers are suffering from a high-octane case of sticker shock.

From Portland, Ore., where regular gas costs up to $2.09 a gallon, to Forestville, Md., where drivers are paying as much as $1.74 a gallon, consumers are getting drained in their wallets and socked in their tanks.

Nationally, gasoline prices are now 18 cents a gallon higher than they were a month ago, and 31 cents a gallon higher than at this time last year. A search on Gas Buddy.com found a Union 76 in Phoenix posting unleaded at $3.79 a gallon in the wake of a ruptured pipeline. Holy SUV!

"This is like a consumption tax on consumers," says Fred Dixon of the brokerage house D.A. Davidson in Lake Oswego, Ore., where he recently paid $1.95 for a gallon of fuel. He suspects that fuel prices could even dampen retail sales this quarter: "Six weeks of higher gas prices may eat into demand," he says. It could be a hidden drag on the economy."

Indeed, soaring prices affect almost all Americans, whose 240 million vehicles consume 5.8 billion gallons of fuel each week -- at an extra cost, given current fuel prices, of about $1 billion. If the price hikes hold steady, figures Standard & Poor's chief economist David Wyss, they'll nearly balance the tax cut, at about $60 billion this year.

Why gas prices just won't tank
The current gas spike comes as a surprise to many analysts. On Aug. 8, the Energy Information Administration wrote that gasoline prices would remain stable for the next two months and then decline. Now, Neil Gamson, an energy economist with the EIA, warns that higher prices may still be coming up. "We have some way at the pump to reflect higher spot prices," he says. "How much higher is hard to say because after Labor Day, demand starts falling off and imports could start to come in."

But surprising as they are to some, there are lots of reasons for rising prices.

Crude oil prices have stayed higher than expected, in part because it's taken longer to get Iraq back on line. In addition, about 300,000 to 400,000 barrels daily of Nigerian oil production are curtailed because of local political turmoil. At the same time, Venezuelan oil production has not returned to pre-strike levels. And on top of everything else, OPEC has cut back on quotas, says John Felmy, chief economist at the American Petroleum Institute (API).

The tight supplies coincide with relatively low inventories. Last week, the API reported crude-oil stocks at 279.3 million barrels -- just barely above the level the government considers necessary for the operation of refineries. Gasoline inventories are also low, but home-heating oil levels are starting to rise as companies prepare for winter.

The tightening supply situation may be tied to an improving economy. Some economists believe the nation's gross domestic product (GDP) is now rising as much as 4.5% to 5% annually -- double last quarter's rate. Felmy estimates that for every 1 percentage point increase in the GDP, there is a 0.4 percentage point increase in energy use. This could mean that the energy demand has increased by nearly 1 percentage point.

"There is no question (that) economic growth globally has led to an increased demand for energy," he says.

Drawn to the pavement
In the United States, Americans also appear to be driving more. The beginning of the summer was very wet in the East, curtailing some trips. But now, with a scorching August, people are traveling more, says Gamson.

This can be seen in the parking lot at the Grand Canyon Railroad in Arizona, where business is up by about 15% over last year.

"With terrorism alerts and the economy bad, people are visiting state and federal parks that they would normally not visit if they are going to Rome, Singapore, and London," says Tom Ripp, vice president of sales. "America is just plain driving."

And Americans are driving despite high fuel prices. In the Phoenix area, prices soared when a pipeline ruptured in the middle of a housing development. This reduced the amount of gas flowing into Phoenix by 60,000 barrels per day - over a third of the area's normal daily consumption.

Ripple effect on West Coast
According to Gas Buddy.com, the average price in Phoenix is now $2.10 a gallon, compared with $1.70 nationally.

advertisement

That's the price if you could get gasoline to buy it. Phoenix resident Daniel Duran says 45 percent of the gas stations in the area had no fuel last weekend. "There were fights and three-hour lines," says Duran, the manager of the Pinon Grill in Scottsdale. "My wife and I set our alarm for midnight to go fill up the car."

To meet demand, refiners moved fuel from southern California. But this had a ripple effect up and down the West Coast, raising fuel prices in areas where gas was diverted: Gasoline now costs up to $2.10 a gallon in the San Diego area.

Californians, who drive a lot, consider the result a real nuisance. Donelle Page, a professional harpist, drives about 4,000 miles a month to play at symphonies, weddings, and parties. Recently, the Modesto resident filled up her minivan to the tune of $39. "It has made an extreme difference in my life," she says. "You can't just change your prices because your costs are up."

NJ is varied..South Jersey is about $1.30 to $1.40 a gallon and North Jersey is $1.40 to $1.70 a gallon. They're still increasing prices though. :madfawk:

You all will consider yourself lucky after I've said what goes on in the country I'm in now...Australia -- Ok, first of all...Australia uses Litres (liters) instead of gallons for petrol, ok? 4 litres equals one gallon, right? The petrol costs varies from 80.9 to 98.9 cents PER litre.
Figure it out.....

we re still paying 201-2.05 for our gas still i d like gas to go back to 1.09 where i dont have to spend so much for so little!

WaterRats13 said:
You all will consider yourself lucky after I've said what goes on in the country I'm in now...Australia -- Ok, first of all...Australia uses Litres (liters) instead of gallons for petrol, ok? 4 litres equals one gallon, right? The petrol costs varies from 80.9 to 98.9 cents PER litre.
Figure it out.....

Yeah right worked out to almost 4 bucks a gallon!

Just remember, the Labour Day weekend's coming up.

:rl: at the gas prices!! Highest one was $2.95 in SF a few months ago!! DAMN.

I remember my younger days. While Clinton was president, gas was always in then 90 to 99 cents range. After Bush became president, it skyrocketed to $1.89 and then went jumpy from there to $1.70 and back. I think it's bullshit having Bush using gas increase just to take care of our taxes. Think of it this way...

Bush: "Hmm... I'm gonna declare war on Iraq. Okay, let's raise the tax on gas!"

VamPyroX said:
I remember my younger days. While Clinton was president, gas was always in then 90 to 99 cents range. After Bush became president, it skyrocketed to $1.89 and then went jumpy from there to $1.70 and back. I think it's bullshit having Bush using gas increase just to take care of our taxes. Think of it this way...

Bush: "Hmm... I'm gonna declare war on Iraq. Okay, let's raise the tax on gas!"

It happened here as well just as the War against Iraq was announced -- Prime Minister, John Howard decided to hike the prices on petrol as he said that the oil prices were going to skyrocket due to the war. Petrol prices used to be between low 60's to mid 70's cents a litre, but since March, it's been hovering between 80 to 98 cents a litre and fluctuating every week towards the weekend and dropping by the following Tuesday. Grrr...:mad:

I used to live in New Jersey where the petrol prices ranged from 1,29$ to 1,49$. When I moved to Utah last month, I have seen the gas prices soar 30 cents within a month here in Utah. The prices here are from 1,79$ to 2,09$ a gallon.

Waterrats is right, I remember when I was in Germany, I purchased petrol by the litre. It was like 99 cents per litre, and the rental car had like 40 litres to fill up. It was easy to blow 40 euros on each gas fill up. I hear that the average price in Germany right now is about 1,14 euros per litre. That's 1,23$ in American dollars, times 40 litres of an average car. So that is why I try to remember every time I go to a gas station here in Utah: "Remember, the gas prices are twice as expensive in Germany than it is here." It helps putting things in perspective.

*this little lady is paying 1.40 bucks per LITER in Norway for gas* Yep, we pay like 6.58 dollars per gallon.

:mrgreen: Beat that, now.. :crazy:

Free energy, fuel cell... anytime now! :bowdown:

*whistles* It's quite ludicrious having to pay THAT much for petrol these days! It sucks being a car owner sometimes. :roll:

boy.. i wonder why other countries cost more... instering..

I am wondering if any of you guys use e-85 kind of gas.. they're mostly 20 cents per gallon cheaper than regular unleaded.

is E-85 gas for any new cars? just wondering what kind of car uses that.

DeafSCUBA98 said:
boy.. i wonder why other countries cost more... instering..

I am wondering if any of you guys use e-85 kind of gas.. they're mostly 20 cents per gallon cheaper than regular unleaded.

is E-85 gas for any new cars? just wondering what kind of car uses that.

Did you mean Ethanol for the 'E'?

What's the big deal with Ethanol?

Presenter: Jodie Gunders

Thursday, 24 July 2003

Is topping up with ethanol tops?

The term ethanol still conjures up a great deal of fear and confusion, fuelled by stories about ethanol having a destructive effect on cars and machinery.

There's no doubt ethanol has been hailed as something of a saviour for regional Australia; it could provide millions of investment dollars and provide opportunities for local agriculture. It's also hoped that by adding ethanol to fuel, Australia can reduce its reliance on powerful, yet sometimes unstable, oil producing nations.

Dr Bill Wells is an independent expert on ethanol, who has advised the United States government on the subject and is now working as a consultant in Australia, says many of the concerns were needless panic, "part of the problem that we had here in Australia, which we did not have in the US, people wanted to use more than 10%. I don't think we would have ever had an issue if we had just stuck with 10%. The oil companies are very happy with 10%...It might hurt, maybe, an outboard motor or a 'weed whacker' or something like that - having too much oxygen in the fuel might make it burn too lean, and that would raise the exhaust temperature and slowly deteriorate your engine, but not any automobiles on the road", he says.

The future of ethanol production in Australia hangs in limbo, with the Federal Government still to give producers the green light they're seeking.

The Government yesterday said it would fulfill its 2001 election promise, by providing capital grants to the ethanol industry, but is yet to make a decision on fuel excise levels.

The decision will affect the future of multi-million dollar plants proposed for Gunnedah and Quirindi, as well as a major gas pipeline planned for the north-west.

ABC Link

This came from the local Australian news station. A bit of old news, but still it's still newsworthy to discuss about that.

State Regular
Hawaii $2.10
California $2.09
Arizona $1.97
Nevada $1.94
Oregon $1.92
Washington $1.89
Alaska $1.81
Idaho $1.75
Utah $1.74
Wisconsin $1.72
Montana $1.72
New York $1.71
Illinois $1.71
Connecticut $1.70
North Dakota $1.69
Michigan $1.69
Rhode Island $1.68
Ohio $1.67
District of Columbia $1.67
Indiana $1.67
Minnesota $1.67
West Virginia $1.66
South Dakota $1.66
Colorado $1.65
Nebraska $1.64
Kansas $1.64
Florida $1.64
New Mexico $1.63
Massachusetts $1.63
Maine $1.63
Kentucky $1.63
Wyoming $1.62
Maryland $1.62
Pennsylvania $1.60
Delaware $1.60
Iowa $1.59
New Hampshire $1.59
Vermont $1.58
Missouri $1.58
Arkansas $1.58
North Carolina $1.57
Alabama $1.57
Louisiana $1.57
Tennessee $1.57
Mississippi $1.57
Texas $1.56
Oklahoma $1.55
Virginia $1.55
Georgia $1.52
New Jersey $1.52
South Carolina $1.50

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/gasprices/

yea damn north jesrsey gas price about $1.89 it getting high what the hell going on... is there something going on or what??

yep the iraq wars i belive is the culprit of the gas going up, we re paying alot more than we used to pay last summer its just UGH for me to pay 22 bucks for full tank of gas but i have been MORE conserving on my gas lately, i now don t go to places that are unnesscary, like going into town thats 30 mins from where i live OR, if i do have to go into town i make sure gas is full then just conserve it for at least a month so i don t have to spend more than i need, last month i only put in gas once and conserved it and whenever we need more water in the water bottles i ll just take dad's jeep as its AC in there to keep the waters cool. So thats a perfect planning!

i just went to gas station to fill up my car, it cost me 20.50 damn.. it use to cost me like 17 or 18 dollar but now 20.50 what a asshole...

WaterRats13 said:
Did you mean Ethanol for the 'E'?

What's the big deal with Ethanol?

It is new gas that is made of corn... i dunno how they make it.. but they make those gas from corn.. WEIRD!.. but i dunno what kind of car can use those kind of gas... any cars?? help me.. since they're 20 cents cheaper than regular unleaded fuel...

Back