Dog rips off woman's arm

thank you for providing the source. I'll have to point out a major flaw in your statement.

That statistic was only for Philadelphia alone. I've been to Philadelphia many times and it's not surprising that majority of cases were caused by pit bulls because many irresponsible owners in Philadelphia have pit bulls. Rottweilers are not a popular breed.

Your assumption deriving from that statistic led you to conclude that pit bulls is a dangerous breed.

It's no big surprise that most pit bull owners tend to be from inner city or low-income area.

however - this article is pretty flawed too. the writer has no solid knowledge in this matter.

I would also like to add that this is a hospital and the cosmetic surgery thus it is by natural order that the report of larger stronger dogs will be more prevalent.

Rottweilers have the strongest measured bite force followed by the pits, it makes since that they cause more damage...

thank you for providing the source. I'll have to point out a major flaw in your statement.

That statistic was only for Philadelphia alone. I've been to Philadelphia many times and it's not surprising that majority of cases were caused by pit bulls because many irresponsible owners in Philadelphia have pit bulls. Rottweilers are not a popular breed.

Your assumption deriving from that statistic led you to conclude that pit bulls is a dangerous breed.

It's no big surprise that most pit bull owners tend to be from inner city or low-income area.

however - this article is pretty flawed too. the writer has no solid knowledge in this matter.

No, Pit Bulls ARE a dangerous breed, end of story. The statistics back it up.

The only thing that the statistics tell you is how bias the reports are... it also tells you that pits are the most common used dog for dog fighting... they are not dangerous it's the crapy owners that are...

No its not the end of the story.
Your taking. One statistic from one ciry and then making a bkanket statement regarding all dogs of that breed. Ignoring the very limited area of the stats.
What gives?
So you dont like pits...alright, thats clear enough.

Last edited:

nope. that is the conclusion YOU draw from the statistic.

There is a large number of pit bull ownerships in Philadelphia. The statistic backs it up. Don't you ever thought it is possibly due to poor training?

What it boils down to, for me, is that with all the dog breeds available, there would be no reason for me to take any chances by getting a pit bull.

What it boils down to, for me, is that with all the dog breeds available, there would be no reason for me to take any chances by getting a pit bull.

One problem is people breeding designer dogs and people buy one and have no idea what bred their dog is. I have met a lot of people that rescues dogs and when I ask what kind of dog they have they have no idea. I was at vet this week and asked a guy this and he had no idea what kind of dog he adopted or brought. Marty was bitten by a dog and the owners had no idea what their dog was mixed with , it was a corgi mixed and the owner didn't not know that much.

pit bull-type dogs are -not - more dangerous than any other.
This is a stereotype. I work with many pit bull-labeled dogs in the shelter.
I also see tons of wonderful and family-appropriate pit bull type dogs at the store where I work part-time, including many coming in with families who have children, as well as two of a store employee's dogs.

News stories sensationalize and inaccurately portray bites or attacks from anything they believe is a pit bull <which is NOT a breed but a type, and which is is generally mis-identified> while ignoring or not reporting stories of other dogs that also bite.

All dogs bite and most big dogs have the physical ability to take off someone's arm.

and yes, "designer dogs" are a concern because many times they are bred by people who are in it for the money or because "this dog was cute and that dog doesn't shed so we'll put the two together". They are not trying to improve overall health of the breed and have done little or no health checks or genetic research. People end up paying high prices for what is a mixed breed dog, when you can go a all-breed rescue or to a shelter and find a mixed-breed dog

as far as the dog in the stroller thing, I see that often, I agree with you whatdidyousay! as far why people -usually - have those poor little dogs in stroller, or in a bag or whatever. I too would understand if the dog had a mobility issue, and sometimes in a crowded environment like at a dog fair, or a dog show with wide ranges of dog sizes and people - it -is temporaraly safer to pick up a small dog as you're passing by - but then put the dog back down.

Dealing with Pit Bull owners is like dealing with gun nuts: they never think theirs is going to cause any harm. The dogs are unpredictable and every study I have read puts Pit Bulls at the top of the list regarding attacks on people as well as other dogs. Sorry, but IMO they are dangerous and un predictable and the many statistics back me up.

Dealing with Pit Bull owners is like dealing with gun nuts: they never think theirs is going to cause any harm. The dogs are unpredictable and every study I have read puts Pit Bulls at the top of the list regarding attacks on people as well as other dogs. Sorry, but IMO they are dangerous and un predictable and the many statistics back me up.

If you only go to reports from hospitals, cosmetic surgeons, and police... all you will find is large dog attacks...

One thing to remember is that the pit bull... is not a breed but a lable for several breeds... also this is a working class dog, that was trained to be a bait dog... people then took this type of dog and turned them into fighting dogs...

They have done the same thing to the malamute, husky, Rottweiler, and many many more... these are all powerful dogs... so more "entertaining" to watch then say two Yorkies....

http://mabbr.org/pit-bull-ownership/understanding-the-pit-bull/

https://positively.com/victorias-blog/the-truth-about-pit-bulls/

http://www.cesarsway.com/cesar-mill...-All-New-Special-Makes-the-Case-for-Pit-Bulls

https://www.aspca.org/adopt/truth-about-pit-bulls

That's true of every dog owner with big or small dogs out there.
The owners of the Chow that bit me never imagined or thought that the dog would cause harm/bite- "but he was always fine with the kids" (both under the age of 5 at the time). After the quarantine period they kept the dog- and eventually had 3 kids in the house under the age of 5 down to baby- and he never had another incident. However I have no idea what his environment was like as I knew they sometimes kept him chained to a tree outside (was not impressed).

ANY dog is and can be unpredictable not just pit bulls. It's the OWNERS who contribute to the stereotype not the dog(s).

sorry that you feel that way. nothing we can do about it.

I've worked with dozens of pitbulls and I just got home now after playing with my friend's pitbull. I'm the one who got my friend to adopt her. I also got my best friend to adopt a pitbull.

dealing with people with unfounded fear and illogical reasoning. it just never end. people thought black people are unpredictable and violent.... incapable of being civilized. after all... many statistics say that a large number of prisoners are black people.... many youtube videos depict black people savagely attacking people over trivial things.

am I right?

I have a pit bull and a black lab. The black lab shows more aggressive behaviors than the pit bull.

Some facts about the pitbulls are this link:

http://www.cesarsway.com/the-scoop/entertainment/Pit-Facts

http://www.pbrc.net/poppysplace/famouspitbulls.html

My daughter dog was pitbull mixed and I was visiting her once and watch my granddaughter use her dog head as step to get onto the couch , she was a baby and she was climbing
all over her dog and the dog just laid there . I also took care of my granddog for few days and she and Finlay got a long fine and were eating one another food . A lot of dogs
will not let another dog eat from their bowl but my granddog never got aggressive toward Finlay when he helped himself to his cousin food.

Yes, there are some aggressive pit bulls just like every breed has some aggressive ones depending on how they were raised and their tempermant but I always use caution with our pit bull. Like she is in a bad mood now and the kids made the mistake of encouraging both dogs to wrestle causing the pit bull to attack the lab. ugh

Yes, there are some aggressive pit bulls just like every breed has some aggressive ones depending on how they were raised and their tempermant but I always use caution with our pit bull. Like she is in a bad mood now and the kids made the mistake of encouraging both dogs to wrestle causing the pit bull to attack the lab. ugh

It's so hot out even people are in a bad mood. I tell my granddaughter not try and pet a dog when it's so hot out the dog could be in a bad mood.

It's so hot out even people are in a bad mood. I tell my granddaughter not try and pet a dog when it's so hot out the dog could be in a bad mood.

Yea, I can tell when my pit bull is not in the mood to play when she just wants to cuddle up. By forcing her to wrestle with the lab will have consequences. They wrestle but on their own terms. The lab is always ready to play no matter what but the pit bull plays when SHE wants to. I told the kids to leave Hannah (the pit bull alone) and now Hannah is resting on their laps. Hannah loves to cuddle up and chill more than wrestling or playing. I think with pit bulls or any dogs, for that matter, you just dont test their limits, period.

I am sorry for that situation with the woman getting her arm pulled off. I cant make any judgements on why it happened and who was at fault but it was a no win situation for both owners and dog. :(

It comes.down to people have some have deep phobeas regarding pooches..and even more.regardng types like pits....im kindred spirits with pooches...real pooches...a friend of mine thoug is peteified of anything pooch..when he sees me laying and rolling around with another friends huskey....(my fave breed) he truly is deeply scared and it shows...
No chatting or anything can help them.....also pooches are like people,they hwve different personalities, likes and joys...sometmes just like people you get a crazy one...i grew up with a beagel..we also had a rottie later...and she was a pit traped in a beagels body..would always dig under a fence.or bolt and wander the neughborhood picking fights snd winning.... beagel....damn...she was a crazy pooch.snd her eyes showed other pooches and most stayed away...hahah..a beagel....lol...
For me...
Really..
Ill take a well trained pooch to have my back any day over a person....ive never been betrayed by a pooch..ever. then i again i raise my leg when.i pee outisde too..so
For what its worth...
( sits back scratching himself......shakes body........huffs..)

It comes.down to people have some have deep phobeas regarding pooches..and even more.regardng types like pits....im kindred spirits with pooches...real pooches...a friend of mine thoug is peteified of anything pooch..when he sees me laying and rolling around with another friends huskey....(my fave breed) he truly is deeply scared and it shows...
No chatting or anything can help them.....also pooches are like people,they hwve different personalities, likes and joys...sometmes just like people you get a crazy one...i grew up with a beagel..we also had a rottie later...and she was a pit traped in a beagels body..would always dig under a fence.or bolt and wander the neughborhood picking fights snd winning.... beagel....damn...she was a crazy pooch.snd her eyes showed other pooches and most stayed away...hahah..a beagel....lol...
For me...
Really..
Ill take a well trained pooch to have my back any day over a person....ive never been betrayed by a pooch..ever. then i again i raise my leg when.i pee outisde too..so
For what its worth...
( sits back scratching himself......shakes body........huffs..)

You have me in tears... :D

Back