Dog rips off woman's arm

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can't believe this happened in a nearby neighborhood where my daughter used to live with her family.

The first time I saw this story on the news I thought it was just a loose dog attacking a walker or jogger. The updated story explained that the dog belonged to the husband. Wow, that's even worse.

I'm glad that the neighbor driving by stopped to help the woman. She could have easily bled to death.

Woman in ICU after dog tears off arm

Pitbulls are more dangerous than shark.

I feel it also has to do with the owners and how they train and treat their pitbulls. Any dog can be dangerous if been mistreated a lot.
I heard of a lab attacking a person and labs are used for service dogs b/c of their good temperament , something had to been done to the lab to had attacked a woman so badly.

Pitbulls are more dangerous than shark.

To put it into numbers: Pit Bulls account for 51% of all dog attacks, Rottweilers were second at 9%, so between the two breeds they account for 2/3 of all dog attacks.

To put it into numbers: Pit Bulls account for 51% of all dog attacks, Rottweilers were second at 9%, so between the two breeds they account for 2/3 of all dog attacks.

Yes, read an article of the most 10 dangerous breeds, and these 2 were at the top of the list.

All dogs have the tendency to bite... Rottweiler and pit bulls have the strongest bite force, so yes if one goes bad it is a trip to the Elemergency room... yet you are more likely to get bit by a small dog... it is all abiut how a dog is raised not the breed... so no these two breeds do not count for 2/3 of all dog attacks, just reported ones from the medical personnel and police reports. Regardless it is the owners to blame not the breeds...

I'm sad for this woman and also very happy that someone came to help.

That is inaccurate - in terms of labeling "dangerous breeds"
There are tons of PB's out there, so there are simply more of them...pit bulls are not inherently dangerous, nor are Rotts or GSD's or whatever. They're not more dangerous than a shark.

And unfortunately, because there is a flood of "pit bull" types out there, and so easy to come by, many people have them who shouldn't have them.
Like Jezie said - all dogs bite.

According to the article, the dog was "cut" and that the dog "snapped" and have never been "aggressive" before...there's a lot missing there .
Dogs don't "snap" as in "out of the blue" like unexpectedly <they also don't "miss" - as in miss their target in an attack>. The exception- regarding extreme un-expectedn-ness -"out of the blue" - would be a tumor or seizure which could cause truly sudden and uncontrolled aggressive behaviors.

Most times the dog has been giving off signals for possibly a very long time before he actually went farther. The people miss all the little tiny signals and so the dog escalates.

yeah, there's a lot more...was the dog kept outside,chained, not living in with the family? How did he get cut? Only puppy in the litter; taken away too early..... Etc....behaviors don't happen in a vacuum.

There are tons of PB's out there, so there are simply more of them...pit bulls are not inherently dangerous, nor are Rotts or GSD's or whatever. They're not more dangerous than a shark.

And unfortunately, because there is a flood of "pit bull" types out there, and so easy to come by, many people have them who shouldn't have them.

According to the article, the dog was "cut" and that the dog "snapped" and have never been "aggressive" before...there's a lot missing there .
Dogs don't "snap" as in "out of the blue" like unexpectedly <they also don't "miss" - as in miss their target in an attack>. The exception- regarding extreme un-expectedn-ness -"out of the blue" - would be a tumor or seizure which could cause truly sudden and uncontrolled aggressive behaviors.

Most times the dog has been giving off signals for possibly a very long time before he actually went farther. The people miss all the little tiny signals and so the dog escalates.

yeah, there's a lot more...was the dog kept outside,chained, not living in with the family? How did he get cut? Only puppy in the litter; taken away too early..... Etc....behaviors don't happen in a vacuum.

When I had Finlay people would ask me if he bite , he was a black dog and wore a gentle leader . I would let the person that all dogs bite if they felt threaten . When Finlay got cancer he started to act strange , he would turn around and look at me as if he didn't know me and start growling . I called out his name and he stopped , he also came into a room and started growling at me and I knew the cancer had to spread to his brain and it was time to say goodbye to him . :(

this is what I been told aswell..If use ratio's then proberly more labs and poodles bite than pits...Definatly something missing in this story.hmmm
They do call pits land sharks

that middle class area and not what I expected that speaks volumes about my assumptions on who owns pits

Around 10 years ago, my neighborhood down the street had a pit bull mauled 11 years old boy on unprovoked attack. The boy survived but required stitches while the owner faced felony charges in the dog attack.

Neighbors close to the owner's house complained of the dog being high risk, killed a cat and chewed thru the sturdy fence. The dog has since put down.

All dogs have the tendency to bite... Rottweiler and pit bulls have the strongest bite force, so yes if one goes bad it is a trip to the Elemergency room... yet you are more likely to get bit by a small dog... it is all abiut how a dog is raised not the breed... so no these two breeds do not count for 2/3 of all dog attacks, just reported ones from the medical personnel and police reports. Regardless it is the owners to blame not the breeds...

Sorry, but if you look up dog attacks those two breeds to account for 2/3 of all dog attacks. Dog bites and dog attacks are totally different things.

Yes, training does play into the aggressive behavior, but overbreeding also plays into it.

Sorry, but if you look up dog attacks those two breeds to account for 2/3 of all dog attacks. Dog bites and dog attacks are totally different things.
that would be incorrect. and I know the source you're looking at.

it's biased and misleading. its sole agenda is to eliminate "pit bull type" breed.

http://www.dogsbite.org/dogsbite-about.php
About us
DogsBite.org is a public education website about dangerous dog breeds, chiefly pit bulls. We are the primary 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to putting the safety of humans before dogs and the principle source of information on this topic that is not owned, controlled, or funded by dog breeders, dog advocacy, veterinarian or animal welfare groups. We do not receive government or corporate funding; we rely on donations from the public and our supporters -- people like you.

Yes, training does play into the aggressive behavior, but overbreeding also plays into it.
incorrect too.

training can make a dog either aggressive (ie. guard type, police dog) or friendly. the only thing that makes a dog dangerously aggressive is poor training and that would be human's fault. overbreeding has nothing to do with it.

http://www.9news.com/story/news/investigations/2014/11/10/dog-breeds-bites-front-range/18811551/
Based on 6,500 reported dog bites between 2012 and 2013, the top five biting breeds* in the Denver area are:

1. Labs
2. German Shepherds
3. Pit Bulls
4. Chihuahuas
5. Bulldogs

This is the reason of why I want small dogs...

My dog was bitten by a corgi mix no reason, it bite my dog in his butt .
The corgi was a rescue dog and the people just got him from a shelter and
didn't know their dog very well. They should had not brought the dog to a public park knowing their has been abused , my granddaughter was just about to asked if she could pet the dog and it could had bitten her in the face. :eek3: Small dogs bite too. All dogs will bite if they feel threaten or are hurt and some time small dogs can be very nippy .

Back