Dog rips off woman's arm

Thing is people see small dogs as cute when they display aggressive behavior so they laugh and encourage it... then wonder why it bit the kid by the dog's food bowl... forgetting how many times they played with the food while the dog growled, snipped, and body pushed the hands and people by the food... and yet it is the dog's fault. ... does not make sence to me....

many small dogs bite - agree, whatdidyousay!

small dog bites can be under-reported because

-people can be embarrassed to say anything or think it was no big deal if something happens

-small dogs are generally perceived as cute and non-threatening and so it's a greater chance that scary or aggressive behavior is overlooked, or they think it's cute or funny

-people stereotype larger dogs and dogs with certain appearance, which leads to inaccurate information and overall responses

As a child I was almost bitten in the face by a small dog because I did something stupid; I was also bitten on the finger by a Great Dane in high school because I did something stupid.

Small dogs can have strong possibilities to bite because of the first 3 situations described above....as well as - small dogs are likely to be picked up/carried and crooned/loomed over. Dogs who are not given the chances to "be dogs" and treated like stuffed animal or human babies likely will have some behavioral issues from that, which can lead to fear or aggression...fear is often related to aggression.

many small dogs bite - agree, whatdidyousay!

small dog bites can be under-reported because

-people can be embarrassed to say anything or think it was no big deal if something happens

-small dogs are generally perceived as cute and non-threatening and so it's a greater chance that scary or aggressive behavior is overlooked, or they think it's cute or funny

-people stereotype larger dogs and dogs with certain appearance, which leads to inaccurate information and overall responses

As a child I was almost bitten in the face by a small dog because I did something stupid; I was also bitten on the finger by a Great Dane in high school because I did something stupid.

Small dogs can have strong possibilities to bite because of the first 3 situations described above....as well as - small dogs are likely to be picked up/carried and crooned/loomed over. Dogs who are not given the chances to "be dogs" and treated like stuffed animal or human babies likely will have some behavioral issues from that, which can lead to fear or aggression...fear is often related to aggression.

When I had Finlay we were walking in the park he had cancer and was not fast on his paws on bad days . A woman walked pass use she had 2 small dogs one dog was being walked on leash like a real dog and the other dog was being pushed around in a dog stroller like a baby.
The dog on the leash was fine it didn't bark at Finlay and , the woman took
her 'baby' out of the stroller and the damn dog came running and nippy
at Finlay legs , I told the woman to get her dog away from before I hurt it!
I was going to kick the dog across the grass if he tried to bite my dog.
The dog was not being allowed to be a dog , he was being babied to death and was acting just like you described. I was like this :jaw:
when I saw the dog being pushed around the park in a stroller .
I never saw anything so stupid , I could see if it had a broken leg and being pushed around , this dog was able to run .

that would be incorrect. and I know the source you're looking at.

it's biased and misleading. its sole agenda is to eliminate "pit bull type" breed.

http://www.dogsbite.org/dogsbite-about.php

incorrect too.

training can make a dog either aggressive (ie. guard type, police dog) or friendly. the only thing that makes a dog dangerously aggressive is poor training and that would be human's fault. overbreeding has nothing to do with it.

http://www.9news.com/story/news/investigations/2014/11/10/dog-breeds-bites-front-range/18811551/

Wrong! on all accounts, and that is not the source I used.

that would be incorrect. and I know the source you're looking at.

it's biased and misleading. its sole agenda is to eliminate "pit bull type" breed.

http://www.dogsbite.org/dogsbite-about.php

incorrect too.

training can make a dog either aggressive (ie. guard type, police dog) or friendly. the only thing that makes a dog dangerously aggressive is poor training and that would be human's fault. overbreeding has nothing to do with it.

http://www.9news.com/story/news/investigations/2014/11/10/dog-breeds-bites-front-range/18811551/

I'm not talking about dog bites, I'm talking about dogs that attack. Totally different numbers!

I'm not talking about dog bites, I'm talking about dogs that attack. Totally different numbers!

People can nit pick with the numbers all they want... the truth is that most numbers come from media, hospitals, and police reports.... thus is not an accurate representation of the facts... even people who try to get an unbiased report find it hard... I have seen and heard about more little dogs attacking people then i have of large dogs... its just that large dogs cause morr damnage and are more news worthy...

I can show you dozens of extremely large dogs that look quite scary... and they're gonna lick you to death :lol:

My granddog was a pitbull mixed and when I went to see my daughter the dog would be so happy to see me , she waited for me to sit down in the kitchen and parked her butt in my face so I could pat for her and the whole time her tail would be wagging like crazy and banging on the stove. Man I miss that cute little butt of her ! Her tail kept me cool on hot day, I should of tied a fan to it. She would lick you too .

Dogs that have bitten me.

Dachshund
Chihuahua
pomeranian
Lab (two dogs on different occasions)
doberman pinscher

The dachshund that got me bit another lady and she had to get 5 stitches. They can be mean little rodent hunters. Not that my experience is scientific or representative of many animals but I know a LOT of people with rottweilers and pitbulls and none have bitten me.

Dogs that have bitten me.

Dachshund
Chihuahua
pomeranian
Lab (two dogs on different occasions)
doberman pinscher

The dachshund that got me bit another lady and she had to get 5 stitches. They can be mean little rodent hunters. Not that my experience is scientific or representative of many animals but I know a LOT of people with rottweilers and pitbulls and none have bitten me.

I once saw a Chihuahua that looked lost and I got out my car to try and help it, the dog would not come near me . The dog had gotten out of the house and the owner thought it been it the house the whole time . The woman finally came home and when I tried to pet the Chihuahua it
tried to bite my hand. That was one nasty little dog.

The Chihuahua that bit me lost all it's teeth when it chased down a cyclist and got a hold of the tire. It was a mess. Bit me a few more times after that but it tickled more than anything :lol:

More than 40 percent of the dogs at Charleston Animal Society are breeds that fall under the pit bull category — dogs similar to Tiger, the 3-year-old pet that tore off its owner’s arm in North Charleston on Sunday night.

Walking through the shelter, kennel after kennel held pit bulls, each one wagging its tail as prospective adopters passed by — most quick to lick or roll over on their bellies.

As friendly as the ones at the shelter appear, pit bulls’ reputation has polarized the public. While they have their defenders, many don’t trust them and advocate for breed bans or mandatory insurance for pit bull owners. Pit bull is not a recognized breed by the American Kennel Club, but rather a label that incorporates about 20 breeds, many American Staffordshire terriers or bull terriers.

Of the 231 dogs currently in the nonprofit’s sheltering system, 101 are Staffordshire-type dogs, according to CEO Joe Elmore. It’s the most common type of dog the nonprofit sees in Charleston County and it might be the most prevalent type of dog in America, he added.

Maulings like the one on Sunday stereotype the breed, but Elmore said people need to understand that there are many factors outside of a dog’s breed that can contribute to episodes of violent aggression.

Tips to lessen aggression
Tiger had not been neutered, according to Elmore — a factor he is certain may have played a major role in the attack. He emphasized the point that people need to spay or neuter their dogs and said if they can’t afford the procedure, the Animal Society will do it for free.

In all fatalities involving dog bites, 84.4 percent were not spayed or neutered, according to the National Canine Research Council. Breed was not listed as a factor present in more than 80 percent of all fatal bites.

The victim from Sunday, Katherine Rizk remained hospitalized on Monday night after her left arm was amputated from the elbow down. Tiger was euthanized by the Animal Society after her husband, Mahmoud Rizk voluntarily surrendered him.

He said Monday he had Tiger for three years since the dog was a puppy, but didn’t specify where he got the dog. He did not return a call for comment Tuesday.

Elmore said the dog did not come from the Animal Society and that he would be interested to know more about its background. He encouraged potential dog owners to obtain them from reputable sources that conduct certified aggression assessments and said there was inherent danger in getting a dog from a “backyard breeder.”

“You get dogs from particular breeders and they don’t know breed or background,” he said. “Everything is pretty as a puppy.”

Other tips Elmore offered to owners included socializing dogs, training them and identifying aggression indicators and predictors. To help with the latter, the Animal Society has a certified aggression assessor spend time with every dog to document what potentially makes them tick.

“Most of these dogs come in as strays and we have no idea about their background or history at all,” said one of the assessors, Melissa Klein. “This just helps us understand their personalities a little bit more.”

The dogs undergo a seven-point assessment that includes a loud game of tag, staring the animal down, trying to take its food away or pushing its head out of the bowl and testing toy possession. Assessors are certified through the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and the tests are research-based.

Klein said trainers work to improve overly aggressive dogs, but that depending on the type of aggression and whether the animal is beyond help, the shelter has to take steps to prevent it from being violent within the community.

She added that pit bull-type dogs typically exhibit the same behaviors as any other breed of dog in assessments.

‘I think they get a bad rap’
When pit bull attacks occur, Lowcountry Animal Rescue Director Joy Davis said she often feels for all of the others forced to live with the stereotype.

“I think it mislabels them,” she said. “It’s like a plane crash. You hear about a plane that crashes, but think about how many flights go every day with no problems.”

What happened in North Charleston was a terrible attack, she said, but society is not as quick to judge following similar occurrences with other breeds.

“I actually get a lot of very bad small dogs that I won’t place in homes with small children,” Davis said.

In her own experience, Davis said she’s learned to be more cautious of English bulldogs. Pit bulls, she said, have never been an issue.

“Of the pits I have, they’re not going to bite you. I think they get a bad rap,” she said. “If you look historically, the German shepherds were considered dangerous, then it was the Dobermans, and now we’re on to pit bulls.”

Regardless of breed, most bites to owners, occur with male dogs, ages 3 to 4 that haven’t been neutered, Davis said.

She cited the pit bull’s historic label as a “nanny dog” as evidence of their otherwise loving demeanors.

“They were protective of children,” she said, describing the dogs as nurturing, not aggressive.

Douglas Gordon, 24, of North Charleston spent time Tuesday at the Charleston Animal Society looking at the dogs to adopt. He said he wasn’t sure yet what breed he wanted, but preferred one that wasn’t aggressive in any way.

He spent a lot of time in front of Skye’s kennel, looking at the blue-and-white terrier, a breed categorized as a pit bull. She was shy at first, but rubbed against the fence and wagged her tail when Gordon’s friend bent down to look at her.

“I don’t think (an attack would sway me) because I know people who have pit bulls and it’s just a matter of how they’re brought up,” he said. “I love them; they tend to be very playful, protective of their owners and I think with the right care, they can be great family dogs.”

Elmore agreed and said the attacks tend to cause apprehension with adopters, but not completely turn them off.

‘Take a look at what happened’
Not everyone agrees, however, that pit bulls can make great pets. A dog bite eight years ago prompted Colleen Lynn, of Texas, to create DogsBite.org, a website and nonprofit aimed at educating the public on “dangerous dog breeds.”

Lynn was jogging through a suburban Seattle neighborhood on Father’s Day 2007 when she came across a woman walking a pit bull. The woman tugged at the dog’s leash, pulling it to the side of the road as Lynn approached. She was appreciative of the gesture and didn’t think anything else of it.

But things changed when she passed the pair. A quick glance from the corner of her eye, she saw the dog lunge and its handler drop the leash. The dog stopped in front of her and sat for a second on the sidewalk.

“I think my body was anticipating something, but my brain hadn’t processed it yet,” she said. “I was fortunate enough to put my right forearm in front of my face.”

The dog’s bite was sudden. It first clamped down on her arm, she said, and then shook its head quickly from side to side. The ordeal lasted about 5 seconds — long enough to crush bone. The shake, she said, was the worst part.

“That’s where a lot of the damage comes in. It’s not just the bite. It’s all a part of why these dogs show up so often in catastrophic and fatal injuries,” Lynn said.

Lynn didn’t consider pit bulls dangerous prior to the attack, though she said she was leery of them. She turned to the Internet to research the breed, dog attacks and state laws pertaining to them. She couldn’t find a site that centralized the information she was looking for, so she created her own.

Lynn advocates through her site for the mandatory sterilization of pit bulls with an exemption for breeders. That, she said, is “the very least a community can do” to protect its citizens from the dogs.

“A sterilized dog is not necessarily less dangerous, but it is less likely to roam,” Lynn said.

Sterilization would not only reduce the number of bites but also the number of pit bulls that end up in shelters or put down, she said. Lynn also lobbies for mandatory insurance for pit bull owners.

“We come back to this issue over and over again. Their simply isn’t enough money to put these people back together,” Lynn said of the victims of pit bull attacks.

Ultimately, she supports an outright ban of the dogs as pets — something cities like Miami, Denver and select small towns already have in place. According to Denver’s ordinance, it is unlawful for anyone to “own, possess, keep, exercise control over, maintain, harbor, transport or sell within the city any pit bull.”

“The breed doesn’t have a place in modern society … They’re not nanny dogs, that’s a fabricated myth,” Lynn said. “We’ve really got to take a look at what happened (in North Charleston). Here you have a family pit bull that apparently had no history of aggression. But when it went off, it went off bad and now this woman is maimed for life.”

Reach Melissa Boughton at 937-5594 or at Twitter.com/mboughtonPC. Reach Christina Elmore at 937-5908 or at Twitter.com/celmorePC.

Lap dog or savage beast

When I was a health aide one of my client's cat bite my ankle and broke my skin , my boss said I had to go to ER to get a shot . I called my boss while at ER to give her an update and there was some guy sitting near me and listening to me very carefully and other people were laughing . I had no idea what was so funny , when I got off the phone the guy told me that he was the ACO and he needed to know the name of person that owned the cat etc. The ACO was at ER b/c a boy was bitten in the face by a rottie puppy . His parents were going to adopt the puppy , it was going to be put to sleep instead. The ACO said if I didn't tell the owner of the cat name now he would have to come back later and get it . Everyone knew the guy was the ACO and thought it was funny he happen to be there already. I never fond out why the puppy bit the boy the ACO told me that is was too risky letting the puppy being adopted by anyone. So a puppy can bite and cause harm to a child .

uh.... same thing.....

that's like saying about firearm statistic... "I'm not talking about gunshots, I'm talking about people shooting at people" :roll:

The dog’s bite was sudden. It first clamped down on her arm, she said, and then shook its head quickly from side to side. The ordeal lasted about 5 seconds — long enough to crush bone. The shake, she said, was the worst part.

Interesting. I suspect that happens in quite a few instances. I was bitten by a Chow-Chow (and to this day I don't want to be near one).. can't remember if he was neutered or not but he was about 2 when it happened (I was 'dog sitting' him for a week while his owners moved). He clamped down good and did shake his head too- both arms but amazingly did not break bone nor sever any nerves though I think he nicked some in the left arm.

If I remember right I think their vet wouldn't board the Chow for that very reason- tendency to be aggressive.

uh.... same thing.....

that's like saying about firearm statistic... "I'm not talking about gunshots, I'm talking about people shooting at people" :roll:

No, in the eyes of the law and animal societies a dog bite is a single wound, whereas an attack is where the dog continues to bite the victim multiple times. In attacks by dogs 51% of the time it is done by a Pit Bull and followed by Rottweilers 9% of the time.

No, in the eyes of the law and animal societies a dog bite is a single wound, whereas an attack is where the dog continues to bite the victim multiple times. In attacks by dogs 51% of the time it is done by a Pit Bull and followed by Rottweilers 9% of the time.

source please?

thank you for providing the source. I'll have to point out a major flaw in your statement.

A five-year review of dog-bite injuries from the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, published in 2009 in the journal Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, found that almost 51 percent of the attacks were from pit bulls, almost 9 percent were from Rottweilers and 6 percent were from mixes of those two breeds.

That statistic was only for Philadelphia alone. I've been to Philadelphia many times and it's not surprising that majority of cases were caused by pit bulls because many irresponsible owners in Philadelphia have pit bulls. Rottweilers are not a popular breed.

Your assumption deriving from that statistic led you to conclude that pit bulls is a dangerous breed.

Other studies confirm these statistics: A 15-year study published in 2009 in the American Journal of Forensic Medicine and Pathology revealed that pit bulls, Rottweilers and German shepherds were responsible for the majority of fatal dog attacks in the state of Kentucky.

It's no big surprise that most pit bull owners tend to be from inner city or low-income area.

however - this article is pretty flawed too. the writer has no solid knowledge in this matter.

my mothers yorki bit off my mums little finger so size of dog no issue where bites concerned...a dog mostly only as good as the owner...Dogs need be treated like dogs not substute children as my mother did with her dog

Back