Screw North Korean government

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is, even with the best anti-hacking technology, the weakest link is the human computer user. In the Sony case, the hackers got hold of an employee ID and password, probably by using a phishing scam. As long as employee users keep clicking on emails and links at work with disregard, these things are going to happen.

that's the thing. it's a weak security system and lax security practices. a more robust approach would be having an authenticator device for password.

it's a small device that you carry with you and the code changes every few minutes. you have to press a button to see the code.

images

google and even World of Warcraft do provide this kind of service for anybody.

or use security key

41BBMImStyL._AA160_.jpg

that's the thing. it's a weak security system and lax security practices. a more robust approach would be having an authenticator device for password….
Yes, that's a good idea. Then you just have to be sure that the user doesn't get careless with the device.

There's also biometrics.

Or just post your password on a sticky note on your monitor. (People are such problems. :lol: )

that's the thing. it's a weak security system and lax security practices. a more robust approach would be having an authenticator device for password.

it's a small device that you carry with you and the code changes every few minutes. you have to press a button to see the code.

images

google and even World of Warcraft do provide this kind of service for anybody.

or use security key

41BBMImStyL._AA160_.jpg
That will protect you from hackers who can always find a way? Whenever they improve their security like that, hackers can improve their technology at the same time.

lol wow. you're really behind in news...

do you know what NSA is and what it does? several government agencies have already recruited hackers in exchange of prison sentence. and FBI and CIA have regularly scoped out at DEFCON (the biggest hacker conference/convention once a year) to recruit some hackers.

check out and educate yourself on what America has - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/national/black-budget/

just FYI - the government is not responsible for Sony's security. what happened here is Sony's weak cybersecurity system. and then the government got involved to help assist Sony and that's how we find out that North Korea was behind it.

just because our "success" isn't reported in news doesn't mean we have nothing. that is precisely the whole point of being very secretive about our capability and strength.
This article says the opposite. It's a national security matter.

http://www.voanews.com/content/pres...ck-on-sony-pictures-very-serious/2563923.html

Oh, I have to say you are wrong this time. :cool2:

This article says the opposite. It's a national security matter.

http://www.voanews.com/content/pres...ck-on-sony-pictures-very-serious/2563923.html

Oh, I have to say you are wrong this time. :cool2:

perhaps you didn't understand what I said and what the article said.

I said the government is not responsible for Sony's security system. it's Sony's responsibility to ensure that they have a robust security system in place but they had lax security practice and also laid off cybersecurity experts which led to PSN hacking and now this. and then the government got involved to help assist with investigation.

The article said the cyberattack on Sony is being considered as a national security matter.... are you telling me that it is government's responsibility to install and maintain Sony's security system?

looks like you are always wrong.... :)

next time.... re-read my post very very slowly and if you do not understand anything, ask instead of making childish remarks.

I don't think the government should be responsible for Sony's (or any business's) cyber security. However, there do need to be up-to-date laws available for prosecuting cyber attacks. Legislation is way behind technology.

The Federal government also needs to take seriously this attack on Sony as a warning to what could happen. If this attack happened to our infrastructure systems, power grid, banking, military, water supply, oil pipeline, etc., it could be catastrophic. Cyber security needs to be given more attention.

I can't believe they've pulled movies out of the theaters. Nobody complained about Hot Shots Part Deux (Saddam Hussein was in it). George Clooney said it right.

perhaps you didn't understand what I said and what the article said.

I said the government is not responsible for Sony's security system. it's Sony's responsibility to ensure that they have a robust security system in place but they had lax security practice and also laid off cybersecurity experts which led to PSN hacking and now this. and then the government got involved to help assist with investigation.

The article said the cyberattack on Sony is being considered as a national security matter.... are you telling me that it is government's responsibility to install and maintain Sony's security system?

looks like you are always wrong.... :)

next time.... re-read my post very very slowly and if you do not understand anything, ask instead of making childish remarks.
I understand what you said but you make it sound like that it's not a national security matter. Since the hackers warned that something bad will happen to anyone who goes to see that movie at a local theater, it's a threat so that's why US government takes it seriously. I understand that Sony doesn't want it happen to innocent moviegoers (the public) so Sony won't release the film.

Even though it's not the government's responsibility for private companies' security system, it can be viewed as a national security matter when it involves threats to the public. Even the Sony hackers warned anyone (who lives close to a local theater which would show that film if released) to get out of there. It may be a bluff but Sony won't take a chance. However we may be able to see it later at home (DVD/BD or VOD) hopefully.

I understand what you said but you make it sound like that it's not a national security matter. Since the hackers warned that something bad will happen to anyone who goes to see that movie at a local theater, it's a threat so that's why US government takes it seriously. I understand that Sony doesn't want it happen to innocent moviegoers (the public) so Sony won't release the film.

Even though it's not the government's responsibility for private companies' security system, it can be viewed as a national security matter when it involves threats to the public. Even the Sony hackers warned anyone (who lives close to a local theater which would show that film if released) to get out of there. It may be a bluff but Sony won't take a chance. However we may be able to see it later at home (DVD/BD or VOD) hopefully.

dude... let's stop bs'ing around, ok? you were wrong to accuse me and you just shot your own foot.

any installation/maintenance of corporation's security system is NOT a national security matter, ok? any major cyberattack on corporation IS a national security matter, ok?

Many companies get hacked on daily basis. Majority of it was not a matter of national security. But in this case.... Sony's cyberattack was a national security concern because of the WAY it got hacked. It was very devastating... very different from other typical corporate hackings. It was very sophisticated and very deep. very sophisticated enough to scare the American government to see that North Korea now has a very sophisticated cyberattack capability.

I don't think you understand the level of damage that Sony has sustained. It was an obliteration. You might want to read this to understand the damage that Sony has sustained - http://www.slate.com/articles/techn...trators_should_be_called_cyberterrorists.html

dude... let's stop bs'ing around, ok? you were wrong to accuse me and you just shot your own foot.

any installation/maintenance of corporation's security system is NOT a national security matter, ok? any major cyberattack on corporation IS a national security matter, ok?

Many companies get hacked on daily basis. Majority of it was not a matter of national security. But in this case.... Sony's cyberattack was a national security concern because of the WAY it got hacked. It was very devastating... very different from other typical corporate hackings. It was very sophisticated and very deep. very sophisticated enough to scare the American government to see that North Korea now has a very sophisticated cyberattack capability.

I don't think you understand the level of damage that Sony has sustained. It was an obliteration. You might want to read this to understand the damage that Sony has sustained - http://www.slate.com/articles/techn...trators_should_be_called_cyberterrorists.html
I posted the link since you said that it's not the government's responsibility for Sony's security system. I pointed out that the government takes it seriously since the hackers made a threat to the public regardless of Sony's security system for which the government is not responsible. The hackers remind us that they could make it happen like 9/11 as the article mentioned in the link you posted.

"just FYI - the government is not responsible for Sony's security. what happened here is Sony's weak cybersecurity system. and then the government got involved to help assist Sony and that's how we find out that North Korea was behind it." To help assist Sony?, no, the government has to take the action since it's a threat to the public. If there's no threat (cyberterrorism), then the government would not get involved.

Please move on.

I posted the link since you said that it's not the government's responsibility for Sony's security system. I pointed out that the government takes it seriously since the hackers made a threat to the public regardless of Sony's security system for which the government is not responsible. The hackers remind us that they could make it happen like 9/11 as the article mentioned in the link you posted.
wow dude seriously? the government is NOT responsible for Sony's security!!!!!! and now they have to get involved AFTER they got hacked.

what you are telling me is that the government is responsible for installing and maintaining Sony's security system as well as investigating the cyberattack.

"just FYI - the government is not responsible for Sony's security. what happened here is Sony's weak cybersecurity system. and then the government got involved to help assist Sony and that's how we find out that North Korea was behind it." To help assist Sony?, no, the government has to take the action since it's a threat to the public. If there's no threat (cyberterrorism), then the government would not get involved.

Please move on.
tomayto. tomahto. did you even read the article? you're in no position to clarify anything for me or anyone in this matter because every single thing that came out of your mouth is infactual. please read the articles especially the one I posted. the one you posted are for third graders - simpleton and brief.

you really have gone to the point of no return. it's so comical that I rolled my eyes so hard that I saw my forgotten past buried somewhere in my brain. oh my. it was best left forgotten. thank you very much.

200_s.gif

wow dude seriously? the government is NOT responsible for Sony's security!!!!!! and now they have to get involved AFTER they got hacked.

what you are telling me is that the government is responsible for installing and maintaining Sony's security system as well as investigating the cyberattack.

tomayto. tomahto. did you even read the article? you're in no position to clarify anything for me or anyone in this matter because every single thing that came out of your mouth is infactual. please read the articles especially the one I posted. the one you posted are for third graders - simpleton and brief.

you really have gone to the point of no return. it's so comical that I rolled my eyes so hard that I saw my forgotten past buried somewhere in my brain. oh my. it was best left forgotten. thank you very much.

200_s.gif
You are THE asshole, period. "the one you posted are for third graders" - that's offensive, asshole.

You are THE asshole, period. "the one you posted are for third graders" - that's offensive, asshole.

I'm sorry if I'm right. I do become an asshole when a person with a very thick head still don't get it especially the most simple concept.

do you even know what that means? most articles are written at third/fourth grade level for common people to understand. that's why it's written simple and brief. newspapers like New York Times are at around 7th grade level in depth. The article I posted has a great detail and I know you would just skim over it to look for any trigger words (meaning... to look selectively for what you want) and not bothering with big picture.

I'm sorry if I'm right.
No, you are wrong. The government takes an action only when the hack involves cyberterrorism. For example, a bank's cybersecurity system gets hacked, the bank has its own investigators to fix the problem so the government doesn't get involved. Why should our taxes go to an investigation on Sony hack if there's no cyberterrorism involved? Sony is a big money maker so it should get its own investigators to fix the problem but this time the government gets involved because there's cyberterrorism in the hack. That's all I can say. "The government help assist Sony" No, that's not what it's doing. The government is investigating cyberterrorism.

Evidence shows the attack against Sony was carried out by a "sophisticated actor," White House spokesman Josh Earnest said. But he declined to blame North Korea, saying the investigation is still progressing.

CrazyPaul, you're right

see
http://foreignpolicy.com/2013/06/10/inside-the-nsas-ultra-secret-china-hacking-group/

The US should counter-hacked more often. The ACLU is always on our enemies' sides.

we have. we've been doing it for years. we just don't know about it because that's precisely the whole point of secrecy. we don't hack the enemy's computer and spraypaint with "THE PATRIOTS" message. some enemies are not very discreet about it in order to instill fear in us and to brag about its capability.

http://www.wired.com/2014/11/countdown-to-zero-day-stuxnet/

we do hack the enemy's computers before we launch military strike against them. that's how we've disabled Iraq's air defense and communication system along with EMP strikes before the second Persian Gulf War. we've disrupted Iran's nuclear power plant too.

I'm sorry if I'm right. I do become an asshole when a person with a very thick head still don't get it especially the most simple concept.

do you even know what that means? most articles are written at third/fourth grade level for common people to understand. that's why it's written simple and brief. newspapers like New York Times are at around 7th grade level in depth. The article I posted has a great detail and I know you would just skim over it to look for any trigger words (meaning... to look selectively for what you want) and not bothering with big picture.
WTF? That's nothing new. Every time I or anyone else disagree with your post, you decide to degrade us. You are really the asshole. Many deafies write simple English so what the **** is your problem? In fact, you are no better than us. I never forget your replies to Foxrac to degrade him in the past. Get lost, asshole.

The USA have been doing Military Suppression of Enemy Air Defenses (SEAD) for a long time. DIA and DISA also have red teams. The racist communist Chinese and the idiotic North Koreans are stupid.
for someone with "67,716 posts", get a job. Like any job with a DOD security clearance at the S or TS level....

we have. we've been doing it for years. we just don't know about it because that's precisely the whole point of secrecy. we don't hack the enemy's computer and spraypaint with "THE PATRIOTS" message. some enemies are not very discreet about it in order to instill fear in us and to brag about its capability.

http://www.wired.com/2014/11/countdown-to-zero-day-stuxnet/

we do hack the enemy's computers before we launch military strike against them. that's how we've disabled Iraq's air defense and communication system along with EMP strikes before the second Persian Gulf War. we've disrupted Iran's nuclear power plant too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back