CI Seminar

To those who thought they knew, read closely. Its not a 2.4/bluetooth and read about the processor.

I'm not sure what you might be confused about. There are two types of communication used among the accessories. The 2.4 Ghz communication is between the processor and the accessories. Whether it is the TV streamer or the Phone Clip, the transmission between the N6 and these devices is done using 2.4 Ghz.

Bluetooth is used to connect between devices like a Smartphone or Tablet and the Phone Clip. Media is transmitted via Bluetooth from the source (i.e. Smartphone) to the Phone Clip. The Phone Clip transmits the sound via 2.4 Ghz to the N6. Anytime Bluetooth is involved in the transmission it will require this sort of gateway set-up, at least with today's technology.

If you are focused on the comparison of the 2.4 Ghz to being the same as what Wifi and Bluetooth uses, it is just that.. a comparison. They use the same band, but not the same method. You will not be connecting your N6 to a Wifi router. To even do this, you would need a way to interface with the N6 in order to find a Wifi signal and then enter the required credentials to access that signal.

The key is to pay attention to what Resound is doing with their wireless system. Cochlear is only licensing this wireless system, it does not belong to them and they cannot invent anything with it (Resound would be the one to invent anything within this particular system.) They are essentially given license to take the system and accessories, put their own logo on the accessories and use it with their BAHA and CI processors. If connection to a Wifi router was being done with this system, you'd already see Resound's Hearing Aid users using this set up. I could see a Sonos type streaming system being used within a home wifi system.. that would be pretty cool, but it is not happening here and it really is impractical given the alternatives that keeps it much simpler while achieving similar results.

The same goes for Advanced Bionics, with the exception that Phonak is a sister-company rather than a company they license from. The two companies work closely together. Anything Phonak comes out with is up for grabs by AB. The Roger system is a recent example. So any AB-user who wants any clues to what is on the horizon for connectivity would watch what Phonak releases. Unlike with CI processors, Hearing Aids do not require FDA approval for these sorts of things so there is no delay with the release of the technology.

Med El's latest BTE processor, the Sonnet, does have 2.4 Ghz wireless connectivity, but as with the N6 at release, does not have this feature enabled yet. I believe they may be doing their own 2.4 Ghz platform as opposed to licensing it from another manufacturer. If they have a partnership with a hearing aid manufacturer, it is not easily found information. At this time, they promote the use of the ClearSounds Quattro loop which uses telecoil to connect to the processor while using Bluetooth to connect to other devices. Unfortunately, telecoil is prone to interference in many indoor environments, which is why there is a move a way from using it to finding alternatives that have no interference.

I'm not sure what you might be confused about. There are two types of communication used among the accessories. The 2.4 Ghz communication is between the processor and the accessories. Whether it is the TV streamer or the Phone Clip, the transmission between the N6 and these devices is done using 2.4 Ghz.

Bluetooth is used to connect between devices like a Smartphone or Tablet and the Phone Clip. Media is transmitted via Bluetooth from the source (i.e. Smartphone) to the Phone Clip. The Phone Clip transmits the sound via 2.4 Ghz to the N6. Anytime Bluetooth is involved in the transmission it will require this sort of gateway set-up, at least with today's technology.

If you are focused on the comparison of the 2.4 Ghz to being the same as what Wifi and Bluetooth uses, it is just that.. a comparison. They use the same band, but not the same method. You will not be connecting your N6 to a Wifi router. To even do this, you would need a way to interface with the N6 in order to find a Wifi signal and then enter the required credentials to access that signal.

The key is to pay attention to what Resound is doing with their wireless system. Cochlear is only licensing this wireless system, it does not belong to them and they cannot invent anything with it (Resound would be the one to invent anything within this particular system.) They are essentially given license to take the system and accessories, put their own logo on the accessories and use it with their BAHA and CI processors. If connection to a Wifi router was being done with this system, you'd already see Resound's Hearing Aid users using this set up. I could see a Sonos type streaming system being used within a home wifi system.. that would be pretty cool, but it is not happening here and it really is impractical given the alternatives that keeps it much simpler while achieving similar results.

The same goes for Advanced Bionics, with the exception that Phonak is a sister-company rather than a company they license from. The two companies work closely together. Anything Phonak comes out with is up for grabs by AB. The Roger system is a recent example. So any AB-user who wants any clues to what is on the horizon for connectivity would watch what Phonak releases. Unlike with CI processors, Hearing Aids do not require FDA approval for these sorts of things so there is no delay with the release of the technology.

Med El's latest BTE processor, the Sonnet, does have 2.4 Ghz wireless connectivity, but as with the N6 at release, does not have this feature enabled yet. I believe they may be doing their own 2.4 Ghz platform as opposed to licensing it from another manufacturer. If they have a partnership with a hearing aid manufacturer, it is not easily found information. At this time, they promote the use of the ClearSounds Quattro loop which uses telecoil to connect to the processor while using Bluetooth to connect to other devices. Unfortunately, telecoil is prone to interference in many indoor environments, which is why there is a move a way from using it to finding alternatives that have no interference.
Yes, there is still something coming out with the N6... I dont know what as Ive only heard about it, these are some of the new products but there is still something coming that has to do with the processor.

Yes, there is still something coming out with the N6... I dont know what as Ive only heard about it, these are some of the new products but there is still something coming that has to do with the processor.

Yes, the software update that audiologists receive as part of the fitting software, the same software used for programming the processor. The update will be installed on the processor and allow for connecting to the devices above. In fact, you don't even need to buy these accessories from Cochlear if you happen to already have any of these from Resound.

The N6 will not function with these accessories without a visit to an audiologist. If you choose Cochlear, you would be able to just go ahead and order your N6 even if your activation is before November. Once November comes around, you'd get your N6 updated to connect wirelessly. Your Audi is unlikely to enable it at activation anyway since they prefer you focus on listening in a real world environment while getting used to your implant.

Newer yes. Better maybe not. Anytime new technology comes out there is always a rough period to get the kinks worked out of it. Your taking a gamble getting new and possibly unreliable technology over the old time tested reliable stuff.

True..same with the phones, tablets, and video game consoles.

Yes, the software update that audiologists receive as part of the fitting software, the same software used for programming the processor. The update will be installed on the processor and allow for connecting to the devices above. In fact, you don't even need to buy these accessories from Cochlear if you happen to already have any of these from Resound.

The N6 will not function with these accessories without a visit to an audiologist. If you choose Cochlear, you would be able to just go ahead and order your N6 even if your activation is before November. Once November comes around, you'd get your N6 updated to connect wirelessly. Your Audi is unlikely to enable it at activation anyway since they prefer you focus on listening in a real world environment while getting used to your implant.
I understand and agree with learning to listen first. I have seen videos of some who could understand right off everything that was said, some say its just noise... I have heard the new electrodes actually work better due to flexability and less damage inserting them... I know I have high expectations, but will embrace the norm, I like to be more positive about the procedures and outcome.... should be better than what I have now.

I know I have high expectations, but will embrace the norm, I like to be more positive about the procedures and outcome.... should be better than what I have now.

I don't know of a single person who has gone through it and then come out saying their hearing aid was better. You will definitely hear more than you do now, if not ever have. You sound like you are ready to embrace it all with an open mind which is exactly what you need to have to be prepared for the new world that comes with it. It's often referred to as a journey because it is a drawn out process rather than an off/on switch. It's a very rewarding journey when you stop to take note of new sounds or the return of sounds that you hadn't been hearing in quite some time! I'm looking forward to hearing about your CI moments! Being able to hear your son is no small deal!

I don't know of a single person who has gone through it and then come out saying their hearing aid was better. You will definitely hear more than you do now, if not ever have. You sound like you are ready to embrace it all with an open mind which is exactly what you need to have to be prepared for the new world that comes with it. It's often referred to as a journey because it is a drawn out process rather than an off/on switch. It's a very rewarding journey when you stop to take note of new sounds or the return of sounds that you hadn't been hearing in quite some time! I'm looking forward to hearing about your CI moments! Being able to hear your son is no small deal!

Just how much of a drawn out process is it usually? I have not driven in the city alone and don't really have any desire to. Sonocativo probably has the best idea of where I am talking about but I am in Southern Illinois with the most exact distance between places I know of is the Galleria Shopping Center and my home are 80 miles apart. That is taking a slightly longer, but better roads route by going down 51 and then west on I64.

I have been interested for quite a number of years but went through ANY thing with hearing being an exclusion on insurance and then once getting Medicare and supplement at 65 (now I just turned 72) I have been troubled by the loguistics (sp) since I have no family in this part of the country and none that I know well anywhere.

What is the speech discrimination scores like with a CI? Does that improve at all? Right now without the aids mine pretty much suck and I'm sure with the aids they still suck judging by how I'm doing these days- finding it harder to understand speech anymore. My nephew is hard to understand (kids' voices are a pain- I dread when his voice will change- men's voices in the very low/bass range are difficult).

I'm still on the fence but leaning to 'no' mainly because of the magnetic attachment.

What is the speech discrimination scores like with a CI? Does that improve at all? Right now without the aids mine pretty much suck and I'm sure with the aids they still suck judging by how I'm doing these days- finding it harder to understand speech anymore. My nephew is hard to understand (kids' voices are a pain- I dread when his voice will change- men's voices in the very low/bass range are difficult).

I'm still on the fence but leaning to 'no' mainly because of the magnetic attachment.
I am at a loss on high frequencies, I can hear men pretty much fine with aids (or did) but women who have the higher spectrum of voices I have a hell of a time hearing. And no its not selective hearing as everyone wants to claim that I know...but not a bad idea sometimes...lol

I have watched a few videos of first activations, you can definately tell this girl was deaf due to her "accent"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMrGmm8b4JI

and this girl, she could even hear her music as normal..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTKMJ-El0sA

Isn't that blue tooth? I'm no techie but I thought wifi was internet connection. o_O

Are you sure you'll be able to "get the ball rolling"? I would think a seminar was just information about CI, and probably new technology going to be available.

Yeah we can now stream the internet directly to our brains. Take that hearing people. Hee hee..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Well, Monday is the big day. Early morning appointment sooooooooo, i will know more later that day. The people from the Seminar, they are actual CI patients and its more like a support group as well, they meet every month to talk about their experiences, testing new products, talk about issues they have and so on. They have been a great bunch talking about and answering questions about CI. So as Monday rolls around i will begin the road to possibly being the next Cyborg.

Well, Monday is the big day. Early morning appointment sooooooooo, i will know more later that day. The people from the Seminar, they are actual CI patients and its more like a support group as well, they meet every month to talk about their experiences, testing new products, talk about issues they have and so on. They have been a great bunch talking about and answering questions about CI. So as Monday rolls around i will begin the road to possibly being the next Cyborg.

Good luck!!! :D

Well, seen the Doc today.
They said YEP !!!!!
Got to go back for a few more tests (MRI/CAT) and whatever else needed.

Severe hearing loss with very poor word understanding. He asked how i use a telephone, I said I dont, I text.

Possible implant in November? Dont know for sure yet, He said one side first, But I am going to press the issue to get both done together.

Well, seen the Doc today.
They said YEP !!!!!
Got to go back for a few more tests (MRI/CAT) and whatever else needed.

Severe hearing loss with very poor word understanding. He asked how i use a telephone, I said I dont, I text.

Possible implant in November? Dont know for sure yet, He said one side first, But I am going to press the issue to get both done together.

Congratulations on qualifying! That is great news. I would heed the advice of your surgeon if I were you. They usually have reasons for doing things the way they do them, and I think some deference also makes it easier on some level to work with your surgeon towards getting what it is that you want. Sequential vs. simultaneous procedures can also depend a good deal on what your hearing history has been like. Nevertheless I would advocate for getting both done, period, whatever route you and your surgeon agree to.

Congratulations on qualifying! That is great news. I would heed the advice of your surgeon if I were you. They usually have reasons for doing things the way they do them, and I think some deference also makes it easier on some level to work with your surgeon towards getting what it is that you want. Sequential vs. simultaneous procedures can also depend a good deal on what your hearing history has been like. Nevertheless I would advocate for getting both done, period, whatever route you and your surgeon agree to.
Yes, Thank you. I wore hearing aids before and when it was just one ( whenever the other went out) it really threw me off. I would prefer one surgery/one recovery and to train with both instead of having one side more advanced than the other. I can hear anyways so I have nothing to lose. Just my preference.

Great news Mike. Have you decided what brand you are going with?

Great news Mike. Have you decided what brand you are going with?
We havent gotten to that point yet, in 2 weeks is my next visit and I will know more. Today was my hearing test and compared to my last test done in 2010, its practically gone. They noticed I was reading lips mostly and my wife signed to me what I couldnt make out.
My doctor did give me a large booklet that is all the info on the new N6, the slim design I belive or so it looks in the pictures, I havent read through it yet but I think this is his prefered product.
I told them my last Audi relocated so I would need a new one maybe, they said they have several there that I can use, I will be going to weekly exercises for 6 weeks .

Also my wife found out first hand, as she thinks I have selective hearing or pretend to not hear as I sometimes say stuff they just said ( hello echo, she says) when really I didnt, seems like Physic abilities or something?
Anyways, now she knows I am truely very deaf with such extreme loss.

woo November! That's going to be quick for ya! :) I can't wait to get my second CI in a couple of weeks!

Back