I had three oprations

Excellent GHSH. What age were you when your parents decided NOT to "fix"?

I want to share my experience with you guys. I born in deaf. No cause! My mom was upset at first then her doctor calm her down. My mom learned sign language from a book. She thought it was so neat. Anyway my parent send me to deaf school. My school reguire all deaf student to wear hearing aid. In 1970's hearing aid were so old fashion. I had to wear a machine on my chest and two hearing stuff to plug in my ears. I really hated it. I cannot handle the sound. They hurt my ears. The sound make me dizzy and uncomfortable. I always pulled the two hearing stuff out. I always turn the volume lowest so teacher dont notice me. My teacher always get mad at me. I told my parent about it. They got so angry at school for force me to wear those. But School told my parent that their law that deaf children must wear hearing aids. My parent were not happy about it. I thought my school have no respect about children who suffer. I finally stopped wear those when I was in jr high school.

I went to deaf class in hearing elem school that I was a teacher aid. I noticed that deaf students dont wear hearing aids. I thought it was so cool that school dont force them to wear hearing aids. School let deaf student have two choice to wear or not. I wish that my time was like that.

CI would cause me crazy nut. That why I said no. I want to be deaf and have peace!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ghsh1996 said:
I cannot remember how old I was. I was very young.
I'm asking because when you were too young to remember, you were probably also to young to make your own sound decision.
So, in my view, your parents made the decision for you and they did well. Excellent.
Still wondering, how long ago was that.. Or how old are you now. Just want to get an idea of the time when your parents decided.

Cloggy said:
I'm asking because when you were too young to remember, you were probably also to young to make your own sound decision.
So, in my view, your parents made the decision for you and they did well. Excellent.
Still wondering, how long ago was that.. Or how old are you now. Just want to get an idea of the time when your parents decided.

My parent never think to fix my ears because they accept me 100 percent. I was about 10 years old to 13 years old. My mom heard about CI from doctor office that where she worked. My mom asked me about it. I am 34 years old now.

Please dont blame yourself if you have deaf children. Let your children enjoy and just tell them about there have new tech to fix ears. Up to your children. You cannot make decision for them.

My old friend had very old CI. He hated it so much. He said his parent made him get them. He finally removed CI from his ears when he was older.

Fragmenter said:
:bsflag: I saw your post and I quote you, " :mad2: :liar : :mad2: "
Seeing the post and remembering exactly what I said are two entirely different things. I didn't flip the finger.

ghsh1996 said:
My parent never think to fix my ears because they accept me 100 percent. I was about 10 years old to 13 years old. My mom heard about CI from doctor office that where she worked. My mom asked me about it. I am 34 years old now.

Please dont blame yourself if you have deaf children. Let your children enjoy and just tell them about there have new tech to fix ears. Up to your children. You cannot make decision for them.

My old friend had very old CI. He hated it so much. He said his parent made him get them. He finally removed CI from his ears when he was older.
Ah, so we are talking about 20 years ago!!! CI technology just started.

Why do you think I blame myself... Weired assumption. Why would I blame myself????

And we made the decision for her. She got CI and she can hear now. Waiting would have reduced her chances for the best effect. So, we did it early.

And.. parents HAVE to make the decision for the child. Just like your parents did.

Regarding your friend.... focus on the words "Very old CI"

Don't compare it with now.

You're happy - excellent. My daughter is happy - excellent!

Cloggy said:
Ah, so we are talking about 20 years ago!!! CI technology just started.

Why do you think I blame myself... Weired assumption. Why would I blame myself????

And we made the decision for her. She got CI and she can hear now. Waiting would have reduced her chances for the best effect. So, we did it early.

And.. parents HAVE to make the decision for the child. Just like your parents did.

Regarding your friend.... focus on the words "Very old CI"

Don't compare it with now.

You're happy - excellent. My daughter is happy - excellent!

I dont know you very well. I didnt mean to say dont blame yourself. I notice many parent feel shame about their children being deaf. I was told by deaf people.

ghsh1996 said:
I dont know you very well. I didnt mean to say dont blame yourself. I notice many parent feel shame about their children being deaf. I was told by deaf people.
There's a huge difference between the answer you get from a deaf person, a Deaf person and a hearing person.

I have noticed that in the Deaf world it's popular to throw the argument that you are ashamed of deafness when you try to do something about it.

But think of it this way.... Nowaday's deafness is a choice.

Fragmenter showed a very interesting article. Go here to read it... and really read it. It's good stuff.

ghsh1996 said:

So do you believe that parents proceed with an implant only because they feel ashamed of their children? Might there be some other concerns such as safety, expanding work and educational opportunities in adulthood that might influence their decision also?

I totally respect you and your parent's decision. That is very personal and it's yours. But I think you have to be careful when you are talking about when other people make a different decision.

I'm personally glad that my parents worked hard to try and give me as many options and choices in adulthood as possible. They realised that how I felt as a child may not be the same as how I feel as an adult. When they first put my hearing aid when I was two and a half on I absolutely hated it. But they persisted and now as an adult I'm glad they "forced" me to wear my aid (they didn't have to try very hard - a box of candy was sufficient).

Speaking as a parent now myself sometimes we have to make choices for our children that are difficult at the time but pay off in the long term. We all mature and change when we get older and we can look at things differently. I'm not saying that will happen with you but but I think that is the thinking behind most parents and CIs - opportunity.

Best wishes and thanks for posting your thoughts.

I cannot say no or yes. I take both. Some parents accept or feel shame about their children are deaf. They want to fix their ears but Fixing is sooo expensive. Depend on parent's insurance and money.

I didnt complain about their decision. I was talking about myself and my old friend who hate CI.

That is your choice about your hearing aids or whatever. I rather be deaf period. If I born hearing so I can be hearing. It dont bother me. My husband is a hearing. He dont mind that I am deaf. He dont wish to fix my ears. He really love who am I.

I believe that the parents should leave their children ALONE if, they are deaf by birth or caused by illness. Bein' deaf is a test to see, if hearin' people truly love them by acceptin' them or not. I believe in " nature " by lettin' the deaf children to chose what they want when they get older. That's like when someone ask a deaf child what he/she would like to be when she/he grows up and he/she will think for themselves what he/she likes to be. The deaf child/children follow ( s ) their heart, not the parents' hearts. Follow deaf child's compatible what he/she sees fit like glidin' a glove or shoe to make themselves comfortable. Why controllin' a deaf child's dream when THAT dream don't belong to parents' ? The parents' only responsibility is to give the deaf child/children their love, support, and help when a deaf child/ children ask for their parents' opinions, point of views, and experiences to help the deaf child/children to think things generally. Communication is the key !

Same idea with a doctor who will give the parents 3 different choices : abortion, adoption or keep the child. It's between the parents - mother and father. So, it goes the same for the deaf child, the parents should give the deaf child many choices she/he can choses from... how ? Let the parents introduce them to some places and show them what the choices are. The parents are responsibility to educate their deaf child/or deaf children what life is all about and what they have out there in the world that they can offer.

Don't push or force a deaf child to become hearin' by usin' CI implant. HA is fine, because it don't use a knife by surgery to harm a deaf child's dream. You NEVER know what his/her dream may be when she/he gets older. Don't ruin it.

In my own view when a parent wants his/her deaf child to become a hearin' by usin' CI implant -- meanin' that a parent is bein' selfish for thinkin' for themselves, just because they don't want to learn somethin' new in a deaf child's world. Bein' deaf is very challengin' for the hearin' parents. If, the parents decide to learn sign language in order to communicate with the deaf child, it will flourish their love in deaf child where a deaf child can see himself/herself in their parents' world. I don't want to see a deaf child's thinkin' that he/she have to do THIS and THAT for the sake of their hearin' parents. CI implant is good for when a deaf child gets older and make a decision if, she/he wants it.

CyberRed said:
I believe that the parents should leave their children ALONE if, they are deaf by birth or caused by illness. Bein' deaf is a test to see, if hearin' people truly love them by acceptin' them or not. I believe in " nature " by lettin' the deaf children to chose what they want when they get older. That's like when someone ask a deaf child what he/she would like to be when she/he grows up and he/she will think for themselves what he/she likes to be. The deaf child/children follow ( s ) their heart, not the parents' hearts. Follow deaf child's compatible what he/she sees fit like glidin' a glove or shoe to make themselves comfortable. Why controllin' a deaf child's dream when THAT dream don't belong to parents' ? The parents' only responsibility is to give the deaf child/children their love, support, and help when a deaf child/ children ask for their parents' opinions, point of views, and experiences to help the deaf child/children to think things generally. Communication is the key !

Same idea with a doctor who will give the parents 3 different choices : abortion, adoption or keep the child. It's between the parents - mother and father. So, it goes the same for the deaf child, the parents should give the deaf child many choices she/he can choses from... how ? Let the parents introduce them to some places and show them what the choices are. The parents are responsibility to educate their deaf child/or deaf children what life is all about and what they have out there in the world that they can offer.

Don't push or force a deaf child to become hearin' by usin' CI implant. HA is fine, because it don't use a knife by surgery to harm a deaf child's dream. You NEVER know what his/her dream may be when she/he gets older. Don't ruin it.

In my own view when a parent wants his/her deaf child to become a hearin' by usin' CI implant -- meanin' that a parent is bein' selfish for thinkin' for themselves, just because they don't want to learn somethin' new in a deaf child's world. Bein' deaf is very challengin' for the hearin' parents. If, the parents decide to learn sign language in order to communicate with the deaf child, it will flourish their love in deaf child where a deaf child can see himself/herself in their parents' world. I don't want to see a deaf child's thinkin' that he/she have to do THIS and THAT for the sake of their hearin' parents. CI implant is good for when a deaf child gets older and make a decision if, she/he wants it.

Yes yes I agree with you 100 percent!!!!!!!!!!! You have very good points. I tried tell them about this!! I hate see deaf children suffer to wear CI or whatever that they didnt ask for!

CyberRed said:
Bein' deaf is a test to see, if hearin' people truly love them by acceptin' them or not.

You forgot to say you are in cynical mode....

At least - I hope you forgot!

Cloggy said:
You forgot to say you are in cynical mode....

At least - I hope you forgot!

Cynical mode ? Care to explain what do you mean ?

Cloggy said:
Click and enter "cynical"

Well, what did I say in my post earlier ? I said " Bein' deaf is very challengin' for the hearin' parents "... it doesn't mean that I am cynical or whatsoever. I've seen enough in some hearin' parents who don't want to learn sign language to show their motivation and interest for the welfare of a deaf child. All they ( parents ) ever do is lookin' for SIMPLE life -- IMO.

Sweetmind said:
Once a child has become accustomed to these devices it is something that they expect to have for the rest of their life. If the device fails or does not continue to work in the same way for their entire life, then they no longer can use what they have been expected to rely on.

For your information, the implants from a couple years ago up to now have a removable tip. when the CI fails, they remove and reinsert and plug in the new tip and they are good to go.

they will always be able to rely on what they grew up to rely on. it no longer happens in the way of which once it fails then your screwed. welcome to new technology, whatever you read in the books 10 years ago, disregard it and get a new book and read all over again. your old and behind in technology expecially with the CI's and have absolutely no idea what your blabbing about.

ive heard of so many rumors and stories on the net about CI's that are untrue. I know they are untrue because i do have a CI and ive had it since i was 6. best choice of my life, i can sign and speak. much better to have total communication rather than just signing.

i dont know about what you've heard, but extreamly few (read: probably under 5%) of the children who get implanted as a kid, never end up hating it. the one's that hate it usually are 10 years old and up when they get the CI. by time they are 9 its too late to have full advantage of the CI because they've allready become accustomed to being deaf. sure there's nothing wrong with being deaf, but being deaf IS A DISABILITY IN OUR CULTURE. not everybody wants to be labeled "disabled", if you do, thats cool, but thats you, not everyone.

The CI isnt for everyone, some people just cant have it, some wont ever get used to it, some are too old to get it. its not a miracle cure, but it does help in society if you get it in a timely manner and dedicate the time and effort to learn to use it. it is very hard, thats for sure, no question about it.

also, i dont know how many of you know about the protesters of the soldiers funerals. im speaking of where the religious group is protesting gays and soldiers burials at their funerals and they are extremists.

im sorry to say this sweetmind, but i relate you to them when it comes to CI's. you do not look at both sides, but rather only the bad and what your familiar with. much like those religious extremests that nobody likes.

it seems the first thing you did was broadcasted anger towards the CI when liz told about going through surgery. you didnt have anything to say directly to liz but to the CI concept as a whole. thats a big givaway of your position as a extremist.

CyberRed said:
.....All they ( parents ) ever do is lookin' for SIMPLE life -- IMO.
On the contrairy.
You really have no idea!

And even so... should veryone have it as tough as you had?

ghsh1996 said:
I cannot say no or yes. I take both. Some parents accept or feel shame about their children are deaf. They want to fix their ears but Fixing is sooo expensive. Depend on parent's insurance and money.

Since you picked up that "fixing" (such an emotive word) is expensive I think it's only fair to make the point that not wearing hearing aids or CIs is expensive too - interpreters, ASL classes, SSDI payments etc.
I personally don't have a problem with such expenses for people who cannot benefit from devices or choose not to use them but as you were the one that raised this point I think that it needed to be said just to show that "fixing" is no more expensive in the long term than not "fixing".

That is your choice about your hearing aids or whatever. I rather be deaf period. If I born hearing so I can be hearing. It dont bother me. My husband is a hearing. He dont mind that I am deaf. He dont wish to fix my ears. He really love who am I.

Fine. It doesn't worry me. I don't see myself as being fixed at all. It seems that other deaf people see me as being fixed but then that's their problem :) I know that I'm loved for what I am and more importantly, I am supported in my decision to get an implant. I'm really excited about it!

Best wishes.

Back