Oregon community college shooting, multiple casualties

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...cials-active-shooter-oregon-college/73153610/

This was posted online 26 minutes ago

" Douglas County Sheriff John Hanlin said the gunman was shot and killed during an exchange of gunfire with officers at Umpqua Community College. Hanlin refused to name the killer, saying, "I will not give him the credit he probably sought prior to this horrific and cowardly act. You will never hear me mention his name."

Good for Douglas County Sheriff John Hanlin not saying the shooter name ! Too many time people remeber the shooter names and not the innocent people that lost their lives to
the evil monsters!

I am sure that many people will remember the victims more than the shooter.. don't blanket statement that everyone will remember only the shooter.

Unfortunately his name has already been released so it's a little too late. That part will never change unfortunately- the media stinks in that regard.

I also think there will still be 'copycats' or similar incidents even if this guy's name was never mentioned. It's going to be a long time before anything changes if at all. Humans will always find a way to kill each other no matter what the method.

My thoughts are with the victims (all of them) and their families. And honestly- I hope to hell people will leave the shooter's family alone.

The gun laws don't need to change; murdurous people (and their enablers) need to either change or get taken off the streets.

As long as you have gun laws that allow people like the shooter in OR to purchase guns (and he had many legally purchased guns), then you will continue to have one school shooting after another. Yes, people with mental issues need to be taken off the streets, but getting the guns they buy out of their hands is going to be difficult or impossible if the laws aren't changed.

No, he focus on shooting at Christians.

The shooter is Spiritual.
http://spiritualpassions.com/seeme/ironcross45.html

Not just Christians only.

He told them - if they are Christian so he shoots them in head so they can go to see God instantly but otherwise get shoot in legs or part of body.

Shoot the legs are still fatal, anyway, but some people got shot in head survived like Gabrielle Giffords.

Names of Oregon victims released, range in age from 18 to 67

Names of victims released

Lucero Alcaraz, 19
Quinn Glen Cooper, 18
Kim Saltmarsh Dietz, 59
Lucas Eibel, 18
Jason Dale Johnson, 33
Lawrence Levine, 67 (instructor)
Sarena Dawn Moore, 44
Treven Taylor Anspach, 20
Rebecka Ann Carnes, 18

Not just Christians only.

He told them - if they are Christian so he shoots them in head so they can go to see God instantly but otherwise get shoot in legs or part of body.

Shoot the legs are still fatal, anyway, but some people got shot in head survived like Gabrielle Giffords.
The implication is that the shooter intentionally shot to kill the Christians, and shot to wound/disable the non-Christians.

The implication is that the shooter intentionally shot to kill the Christians, and shot to wound/disable the non-Christians.

The shoot in legs are fatal and it don't keep you alive - some people died from shooting in leg or arm.

Some people survived after got shot in head but they are usually disabled and need to be rehabilitated to have a normal life - not perfect.

The shoot in legs are fatal and it don't keep you alive - some people died from shooting in leg or arm.
That can happen but it doesn't make sense for someone to intentionally aim for a limb if they're trying to kill someone. That would be a very unreliable way to kill someone.

Some people survived after got shot in head but they are usually disabled and need to be rehabilitated to have a normal life - not perfect.
Yes, some people might survive a head shot but usually if someone aims for the head thats intended to be a kill shot.

That can happen but it doesn't make sense for someone to intentionally aim for a limb if they're trying to kill someone. That would be a very unreliable way to kill someone.

Yes, some people might survive a head shot but usually if someone aims for the head thats intended to be a kill shot.

True, I believe this school massacre was heavily motivated and it is very obviously premeditated.

This county sheriff in 2012 said that he is no fan of gun control laws so in 3 years later, the school shooting occurred in his county so I felt that shooter took sheriff's word that turned into surprising attack.

It could make this county sheriff and this shooter as child poster for anti-gun movement, also possibly trigger state legislature to pass series of gun control laws.

That's sad. :(

Nothing the shooter did made sense , if he was that unhappy he could of just killed himself ! He blames other people for his miserable life , and he only needed in look in his mirror ! This was a tragic sense killing . :(
I hate watching the news b/c there been too many mass shootings .

True, I believe this school massacre was heavily motivated and it is very obviously premeditated.

This county sheriff in 2012 said that he is no fan of gun control laws so in 3 years later, the school shooting occurred in his county so I felt that shooter took sheriff's word that turned into surprising attack.

It could make this county sheriff and this shooter as child poster for anti-gun movement, also possibly trigger state legislature to pass series of gun control laws.

That's sad. :(
According to the shooter's notes, he admired other killers and wanted to be notorious like them. He's had mental issues since he was a child, and no one dealt with him like they should have. His family knew how he was troubled and shouldn't have let him have access to their guns, and they could have reported him so he wouldn't pass a background check. But no one reported him, so none of his issues showed up in the data base.

He probably should have been institutionalized long ago. But everyone is afraid to do that.

He was a registered (though not attending) student at the school and possibly knew that he had nothing to fear from the one unarmed security cop.

I don't see how a pro-Second Amendment sheriff would be an encouragement for a shooter to attack.

Instead of gun control the legislature needs to think about evil nut control.

Nothing the shooter did made sense , if he was that unhappy he could of just killed himself ! He blames other people for his miserable life , and he only needed in look in his mirror ! This was a tragic sense killing . :(
I hate watching the news b/c there been too many mass shootings .
Some disturbed people consider "suicide by cop" to be an alternative way of killing themselves. That way, (in their twisted thinking) they can still blame someone else, even in their death.

Some disturbed people consider "suicide by cop" to be an alternative way of killing themselves. That way, (in their twisted thinking) they can still blame someone else, even in their death.

Yeah that is true , plus he wanted people to know his name and if he killed himself in his own house it would never been all over the news and internet . I wish the news would stop showing the shooting face on TV so much some other sickos will want the same attention .

According to the shooter's notes, he admired other killers and wanted to be notorious like them. He's had mental issues since he was a child, and no one dealt with him like they should have. His family knew how he was troubled and shouldn't have let him have access to their guns, and they could have reported him so he wouldn't pass a background check. But no one reported him, so none of his issues showed up in the data base.

He probably should have been institutionalized long ago. But everyone is afraid to do that.

He was a registered (though not attending) student at the school and possibly knew that he had nothing to fear from the one unarmed security cop.

I don't see how a pro-Second Amendment sheriff would be an encouragement for a shooter to attack.

Instead of gun control the legislature needs to think about evil nut control.

It is nearly impossible to be institutionalized unless he commit crime that related to mental illness and in our state, you cannot sent to state hospital unless the court declare you as mentally unstable after commit crime. The huge share of mental health centers are running by private companies and they are short term, also patients get discharged immediately to free up the space.

I have mixed feeling about some form of gun control laws, especially background check but they are prone to a lot of loopholes that render law as useless, difficult to enforce. The gun control laws are only effective when guns are strictly banned and inaccessible to all citizens like in Japan and some countries in Europe - that's not going work in US if they have combination of gun control laws and make citizens continue to accessible to guns.

Lawmakers are limited by constitution to change the mental health system and US Supreme Court sided with patients over state so it made state to lost the money and discharged the patients from hospital. The federal government no longer fund the state mental hospital anymore, but they still fund the group homes and community mental health. Our state talks about close all state mental hospitals and get away with insanity plea so it means anyone who commit crime and mentally unstable will send to psychiatric ward in state prison instead.

In bold, I disagree with you about sheriff, but I means that's not sheriff's fault - I don't blame on sheriff for school shooting, but his statement raise the motivation and opportunity for cold-blooded killer to pose the school shooting with multiple deaths that stirred up the sheriff's statement that turned into political issue.

Yeah that is true , plus he wanted people to know his name and if he killed himself in his own house it would never been all over the news and internet . I wish the news would stop showing the shooting face on TV so much some other sickos will want the same attention .
I don't think it will matter either way :(

There will always be some who will 'want the attention' no matter what is already out there. Some won't care who this guy or the guy in Virginia is and will do it 'their way'. Some will idolize but I bet there are quite a few who don't idolize and just plain only think about themselves in their heinous actions.

Just hate how media these days is so into sensationalism and hype :(.

If one hates watching the news because of so many mass shootings, then perhaps turn off the tv and/or get rid of the tv. I hardly watch the TV news anymore because of all the rotten stuff going on. I only know about it from seeing/reading stuff online- on forums and my FB feeds as I don't generally go seeking it out. Better that way for my blood pressure and sanity.

How many shot where confirmed non christians?

Knowing his name is important, as well as his background and motivations.
To not know his name, face or background or having it kept from us...is almost better then wearing mask.
Will we as society accept mass killings from persons unknown and not identified?

Thats a terrorists wet dream

They hadn't even had the body count in a carry State and there was Obama saying prayers are not enough and began politicizing...harping on gun control...tsk, tsk....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back