Zip 250 Iomega issue...

Sharky99

Reaction score
Hey guys I wonder if some of ya have something like Zip 250 Iomega external drive?? I do have it as I got it in a trade some time ago.. and I wanted to save my Words files as well as Excel files .. both of these programs I mentioned I do a massive sports database projects for tracking team history, team records and etc... the Excel files I have do work on saving on Zip 250 but the Words files I have tried to save but couldnt as there was a file permission issue that came up.. I had to try saving the Works files and it does work... I wonder if anyone would know how to fix the File permission error for Words files to save on Zip 250 disk? Let me know.. and yeah I been looking into flash drives in case for something else.. let me know please... thanks!

I learned something lastnight from the computer class. I can give it my best shot here, if you had those files from a previous computer or program the message you get will not remove due to having different programs. Maybe, someone here might be more knowledge than me in this area and solve it.

If the problem occurs when you use the ZIP disk on different computers, then it could be the other computer.

When I started my major, most of the computers used 150 MB ZIP drives. When I got my own computer, I got a 250 MB ZIP drive.

The difference is that you can only use the smaller in the larger, but not vice versa. That means, you can use 100 MB disks in 250 MB ZIP drives, but not 250 MB disks in 100 MB ZIP drives. Did you check the ZIP drives at the other location to make sure it was the right size?

If that's not the problem, then what about the type of OS for your documents? More PC files will work in Mac, but more Mac files will not work in PC.

If that's not the problem, perhaps you are setting permissions to your files that only work on your computer?

Maybe you have your zip 250 drive in locked mode which prevents writing data on the disk? I haven't used zip disks in years and I have switched over to CD-R and USB flash drives.

I do have both internal and external Iomega Zip 250 Drive. Never had any problems before on my PC. Make sure the Zip Disk is not "read only"... on the back of the disk, there is a small black square that would block the reformat and writeovers. Others have a good suggestion above so you can try any of these and hope it solves :)

I have been able to save my MS Excel files there and MS Works files are also saved as well.. only the MS Words files I cant save as often as that would spring the file permission issue.. and I dont see anything on the disks on the back as Calvin has suggested...

I do have some 100 MB Zip 250 disks.. so I wonder if it is something.. I have noticed on the disks I have some are made in 1994 or so.. is that a problem? And as for "If that's not the problem, perhaps you are setting permissions to your files that only work on your computer?" how would I go around to do that to set permission for the Words files to be saved as often on the 100 MB disks somehow? I'd like to know how... thanks...

yeah, I lot of backup many time that i have 3 zip 250 and 1 JAZ, but they are no longer... thorw up, i use USB Flash better becuase tiny can in jean pocket... 1GB Flash USB cost $10 or less than ZIP250/100 !!!

I have been able to save my MS Excel files there and MS Works files are also saved as well.. only the MS Words files I cant save as often as that would spring the file permission issue.. and I dont see anything on the disks on the back as Calvin has suggested...

I do have some 100 MB Zip 250 disks.. so I wonder if it is something.. I have noticed on the disks I have some are made in 1994 or so.. is that a problem? And as for "If that's not the problem, perhaps you are setting permissions to your files that only work on your computer?" how would I go around to do that to set permission for the Words files to be saved as often on the 100 MB disks somehow? I'd like to know how... thanks...

I would suggest you put the files on a flashdriver. That way it might elminate problems and be easier to store that way you have it set up. I did learn that using two different programs like MS Excel and MS word can conflict. Hope you can solve the problem :)

It sounds like a software issue since you are able to save Excel files without any problems. What happens if you create a new Word document and save it onto the Zip disk?

I also have a Zip drive, which I brought when it was released during the 90s. It is a nice looking drive, but overall, I do not trust it, because I had situations where disks became unreadable without warning. You should also know, that Zip drives suffer from "click of death" Click of death - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For the price of a Zip disk, you can buy a flash drive, which are not only faster than Zip drives, but have more capacity, and is compatible with most computers that have USB.

There are no such thing as 100 MB ZIP 250 disks. The number on them is the size.

A 100 ZIP disk is 100 MB. A 250 ZIP disk is 250 MB.

Anyways, as I said earlier... some programs have permission settings. Have you tried "Save As..." and save again but with different access? How about right-clicking on the file and change it from "Read Only".

100 MB and 150 MB ZIP disks are square in shape. 250 MB ZIP disks are half square and half circle. The straight edge is the one with the metal slider for the computer to read from.

This is 100 and 150.

http://www.usbyte.com/images/Zip_disk.JPG

This is 250.

http://www.activewin.com/reviews/hardware/zip/zip250usbpowered/images/newzipdisk.jpg

Vampy, I never seen that style of zip 250 disk. I had the square zip 250 disks, here's the pic. It's not always like the one you showed. It can come in 2 different styles. I guess the newer ones are like that.

I30135806.jpg

Vampy, I never seen that style of zip 250 disk. I had the square zip 250 disks, here's the pic. It's not always like the one you showed. It can come in 2 different styles. I guess the newer ones are like that.

I30135806.jpg

I second that never seen such zip disk. My HP is diskfree bec it has a CD-writer and now , I can use the flashdriver more up-to-date on things :giggle:

I second that never seen such zip disk. My HP is diskfree bec it has a CD-writer and now , I can use the flashdriver more up-to-date on things :giggle:

lol, same with my computer, it only has a slot loading superdrive. I stopped using zip disks in around 2003 and 3.5" floppies in 1999 and used flash drive and burning data on the CDs since.

I30135806.jpg
Really? When I got my ZIP drive, it came with the rounded disk. When I went to the store, they told me that all 250 ZIP disks were rounded. I guess it's something new. :dunno:

I had a superdisk drive up to 10 MB per superdisk floppy disk, it's very old and inoperatable.

I have that 100 MB Zip disk... and as for the save as function.. I'll see what I can do to get that working right....and the Read Only function to change to Archive or what? Let me know please...

Really? When I got my ZIP drive, it came with the rounded disk. When I went to the store, they told me that all 250 ZIP disks were rounded. I guess it's something new. :dunno:

I dunno why there are 2 different styles of those disks. I believe the half square and half round one is newer version of zip 250 disk. The square zip 250 disk pictures were hard to find on the internet compared to the rounded one.

lol, same with my computer, it only has a slot loading superdrive. I stopped using zip disks in around 2003 and 3.5" floppies in 1999 and used flash drive and burning data on the CDs since.

I am going to invest in a flash drive can't wait to use it. By the way, does it matter if they go in the front or back? Is it less of hassle then dealing with the CD-writer?

I am going to invest in a flash drive can't wait to use it. By the way, does it matter if they go in the front or back? Is it less of hassle then dealing with the CD-writer?

All of my photography are burned on the CD-RW, if I add more...I do that. Yes, it is less of a hassle than burning. You can plug on ANY USB port avialable, even on the keyboard's USb port....anywhere you want.

Same reason here, I bought 4 gig memory stick for less than 40 dollars, that is way cheaper than zip disk!

Plus memory stick not only small but has much faster access to files.

yeah, I lot of backup many time that i have 3 zip 250 and 1 JAZ, but they are no longer... thorw up, i use USB Flash better becuase tiny can in jean pocket... 1GB Flash USB cost $10 or less than ZIP250/100 !!!

Back