You ever get people who tell you not to use sign language?

As another poster said, that's between me and the mods.

This forum is based on open communication.

As a community, we are able to share feedback whether they are constructive criticism.

This community is not a democracy.

I am encouraging you to try to open your mind to having open communication and be much more receptive to feedback as the moderators are not always with us 24-7.

Keep in mind that the moderators have their own lives as they do work, have children and this is also a voluntary job that they give up their valuable time for.

Part of being an AD member is to self-moderate, not contribute negatively on a regular basis and encourage other peers in this forum.

I know once someone gets into a funk, it can be hard to get out of it.

In no way am I trying to bash you, pull you down.. I am really trying to encourage you and help you. It may not seem like it to you but I am.

Hope this helps. Smile!

I had a school back in the early 80s called Seneca High School in Louisville KY that banned sign language on campus.

Prolly not now, but it was back then.

Yiz

But, why?

Only time I was not allowed to use sign language is when I took a vocational program at Mayfield High for word processing because that school supports oral programs for the deaf, but I fought with the board of education, and I won. I was allowed to bring my own interpreter to my vocational program classes. I was very fortunate that my own high school district pays for my interpreter. ;)

But, why?

Only time I was not allowed to use sign language is when I took a vocational program at Mayfield High for word processing because that school supports oral programs for the deaf, but I fought with the board of education, and I won. I was allowed to bring my own interpreter to my vocational program classes. I was very fortunate that my own high school district pays for my interpreter. ;)

Because at the time, they felt ASL discourages them from learning how to speak.

Yiz

I was not personally told to not to use sign language, but my parents were by my deaf school as the teachers wanted me to learn to talk. Of course my parents did not listen and took BSL classes and my mum passed her BSL Level 1 Exam

This forum is based on open communication.

As a community, we are able to share feedback whether they are constructive criticism.

This community is not a democracy.

I am encouraging you to try to open your mind to having open communication and be much more receptive to feedback as the moderators are not always with us 24-7.

Keep in mind that the moderators have their own lives as they do work, have children and this is also a voluntary job that they give up their valuable time for.

Part of being an AD member is to self-moderate, not contribute negatively on a regular basis and encourage other peers in this forum.

I know once someone gets into a funk, it can be hard to get out of it.

In no way am I trying to bash you, pull you down.. I am really trying to encourage you and help you. It may not seem like it to you but I am.

Hope this helps. Smile!

:topic:

I never have any experience of people tell me off to not use my first language. I think it's wrong to tell you what to do and what not to do. That's just silly...

I once had a supervisor of the camp I was at this summer tell me. "Stop doing that, none of us can understand you!" when I was signing with my gf. I just smiled and replied, "Welcome to my world." :)

I always have the sounds down when I watch TV myself, because sounds are not necessary for me unless some hearing mates of mine are over at my house. I turn it up for them. They have no problem with captions. They find it useful for the hearing people, for instance, they are on the phone at the same time and they can't hear the tv -- captions are the other useful tool ;)

BTW, for those who may need translation: "some hearing mates of mine are over at my house" mate is Australian for friend/pal/buddy.

Hi JClarke! G'day mate! From a fellow Aussie.

Back