you cannot hear yourself if you make any noise

sad story Lucia :(

Lucia,
Your dad's definitely an asshole. He shouldn't have taken it out on you because you couldn't hear the noises you were making.

Mum'd sometime tell me that I'm making noises in my throat or mouth and I'd go "huh? Can't hear it at all"...She'd cast me a skeptical look when I said I cannot feel or hear the noises that were emitting from my being. So, she doesn't complain a lot now. Hearing Aids doesn't help me hear the noises, I wonder why.

Lucia,

I'm sorry that you had to deal with that. You don't deserve to get yelled like that. Your dad should know better. That remind me of my dad a bit too. He always yell at me when I make any noises. Funny thing, after I get my cochlear implant, it turned out that my dad made TONS of noises than I did! I yelled at my dad about that. I pow'd him big time. I'm sure your dad possibly make way more noises than you did. :)

When I was about 12 or 13 years old, my dad finally let me go out of town with my church group (he never let me do anything or go anywhere usually) and I was excited. I got up early and got ready for the church group to pick me up. My parents were sleeping. I was getting dressed, ate breakfast, etc. All of a sudden my dad came downstairs and exploded out of anger at me. He said:

"YOU ARE SO LOUD, WITH YOUR SHOES, WITH YOUR BREAKFAST BOWL, EVERYTHING, YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTER NOT TO MAKE ANY NOISE, YOU ARE SO LUCKY I DECIDED TO LET YOU GO WITH YOUR CHURCH GROUP, I SHOULD PUNISH YOU BY NOT LETTING YOU GO, NOW SHUT UP AND BE QUIET, IF YOU MAKE ANY MORE NOISES WHILE I AND LYNN ARE SLEEPING, YOU WILL BE GROUNDED AND YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO GO WITH YOUR CHURCH GROUP!!!!!"

And he stormed back to his bedroom. I felt like shit, it was so hard not to cry. How was I supposed to know I was being too loud, I'm 100% deaf? Even hearing aids didn't help at all. After his explosion, I took my shoes off, tiptoed and stayed in my room til it was time to go outside to wait for the church group van come to pick me up, went outside, locked door quietly, and sat outside til the van came and I left. I really felt like utter shit. He's an asshole.

It's like walking on eggshells with my parents, that is one of the many reasons I left home for good when I was 13 years old, I could not take any more of their shit. :(

Even writing about this makes me feel like crying. :( :cry: :tears:

Aww, That was so awful. I would give you a big hug. Many people dont understand that we cannot hear and cannot help it.

Lucia,

I'm sorry that you had to deal with that. You don't deserve to get yelled like that. Your dad should know better. That remind me of my dad a bit too. He always yell at me when I make any noises. Funny thing, after I get my cochlear implant, it turned out that my dad made TONS of noises than I did! I yelled at my dad about that. I pow'd him big time. I'm sure your dad possibly make way more noises than you did. :)

wow, your dad had two face that he made lot of noise that you didnt hear. Shame of him!

My parent never get mad at me about get noise. They just tell me to please be quiet. They accept who am I. I felt sorry for many deaf people treated so bad by parent. but I am glad that deaf people turn okay.

My boyfriend says I make a "mmmmmmmmmm" noise whenever I'm reading or concentrating on something. I don't even feel it at all and he says he can hear it pretty loud (he's HOH). Sometimes I wonder if I make that "mmmmmmmmmmm" noise when I'm working... no one else has told me that they can hear me.

When I was about 12 or 13 years old, my dad finally let me go out of town with my church group (he never let me do anything or go anywhere usually) and I was excited. I got up early and got ready for the church group to pick me up. My parents were sleeping. I was getting dressed, ate breakfast, etc. All of a sudden my dad came downstairs and exploded out of anger at me. He said:

"YOU ARE SO LOUD, WITH YOUR SHOES, WITH YOUR BREAKFAST BOWL, EVERYTHING, YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTER NOT TO MAKE ANY NOISE, YOU ARE SO LUCKY I DECIDED TO LET YOU GO WITH YOUR CHURCH GROUP, I SHOULD PUNISH YOU BY NOT LETTING YOU GO, NOW SHUT UP AND BE QUIET, IF YOU MAKE ANY MORE NOISES WHILE I AND LYNN ARE SLEEPING, YOU WILL BE GROUNDED AND YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO GO WITH YOUR CHURCH GROUP!!!!!"

And he stormed back to his bedroom. I felt like shit, it was so hard not to cry. How was I supposed to know I was being too loud, I'm 100% deaf? Even hearing aids didn't help at all. After his explosion, I took my shoes off, tiptoed and stayed in my room til it was time to go outside to wait for the church group van come to pick me up, went outside, locked door quietly, and sat outside til the van came and I left. I really felt like utter shit. He's an asshole.

It's like walking on eggshells with my parents, that is one of the many reasons I left home for good when I was 13 years old, I could not take any more of their shit. :(

Wow Lucia! That had to be a very difficult day for you. Your dad was definitely not sensitive to your needs and you were just a kid too!

I am sorry that u are feeling sad but thank you for sharing your story. :hug:

Originally Posted by LuciaDisturbed

It's like walking on eggshells with my parents, that is one of the many reasons I left home for good when I was 13 years old, I could not take any more of their shit.

Even writing about this makes me feel like crying.

Damn, Lucia that sounds like a true asshole through and through. I know how you feel, I've had similar things happen between me and my own dad. Though I do live with my dad we are barely on speaking terms these days which is sad. The more I live her the more I want to break free. :hug:

My family gets loud and bitches at me when they're yelling something from another room and I don't hear them or can't understand it and ignore them. Like it's my fault. :roll:

Originally Posted by LuciaDisturbed

It's like walking on eggshells with my parents, that is one of the many reasons I left home for good when I was 13 years old, I could not take any more of their shit.

Even writing about this makes me feel like crying.

My family gets loud and bitches at me when they're yelling something from another room and I don't hear them or can't understand it and ignore them. Like it's my fault. :roll:

I'm sorry to hear about your experiences Mongoose and LuciaDisturbed. It's hard when you get punished for something you can't help doing. I've been there too.

I remember that my aunt, uncle and cousins always point at me if anyone catch us do bad things. They blamed me for everything. I didnt start do bad things. I followed them or make any noise. They knew that I cannot hear. My dad always end up hurt me many time. I learned to stop follow them so I didnt get any trouble.

one time, my cousin asked me to wash her hair in sink. I did wash her hair and my uncle came in and he pushed me and turned very hot water on and burned her head. I tried fight with him. My cousin jumped and cried and she hold her head. My uncle screamed and point at me. I didnt understand what he said. My grandma and my cousin got so mad at me for it. I tried tell them that it was my uncle. That was suck that I cannot hear. My cousin's head was allright. whew

I remember that my aunt, uncle and cousins always point at me if anyone catch us do bad things. They blamed me for everything. I didnt start do bad things. I followed them or make any noise. They knew that I cannot hear. My dad always end up hurt me many time. I learned to stop follow them so I didnt get any trouble.

one time, my cousin asked me to wash her hair in sink. I did wash her hair and my uncle came in and he pushed me and turned very hot water on and burned her head. I tried fight with him. My cousin jumped and cried and she hold her head. My uncle screamed and point at me. I didnt understand what he said. My grandma and my cousin got so mad at me for it. I tried tell them that it was my uncle. That was suck that I cannot hear. My cousin's head was allright. whew

:hug:

Miss Delectable and Dixie:

My dad IS an asshole, for sure. And his wife is a bitch. It's difficult to be around him or her, which is why I seldom come home to visit (they live in Wisconsin). In fact, I haven't been home in about 3 or 4 years. I make up tons of excuses so that I won't have to come home for the holidays.

I am glad I have my fiance and his family, they are so much more loving.

:gpost: You have a right to make noises that you could not help that. Boy, many of us deaf do make a lot of noises that we are not aware of until we have hearing aids or Cochlear Implant. As for deer hunting, it is hard to keep quiet not to spook the deer. Please, deaf people and hoh people, don't blame yourself for making the noises that hearing people don't like to hear you. Remember that hearing people love to make loud music in concert or going into loud parties that the cops have to come and tell them to tone down the sounds. It seems like the hearing people are not aware of loud noises themselves too. Imagine that they will be deaf themselves. It will take a while to get their normal hearing back or just go deaf for a long time. lol :laugh2:

Yeah, I'm hearing. Your last sentence is very true. It's strange. When hearing people are in a room with lots of people, they start talking louder and louder for some reason. As time goes by, it can get VERY loud. Then, eventually, some person realizes that it is becoming loud, and they yell out "SHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!" Then, all together, everyone becomes quiet again, and it starts all over again. It's weird. I don't know why we do that.

Hugs to all of us that have been insulted and hurt by folks complaining about us being too loud or yelling at us for not hearing....we are who we are, perfect the way we are....group hug!

Hugs to all of us that have been insulted and hurt by folks complaining about us being too loud or yelling at us for not hearing....we are who we are, perfect the way we are....group hug!

:ty:, Moon-child. Perfectly said!

Belle, my roommates (both hearing) say I make the same "mmmmmm" noise when I am concentrating on something. They don't mind because they say it is not loud, but when we study at a library they tell me when I am doing it so I don't bother other people studying.

Raycat, I am like you in a loud place - I get very quiet. My friends and family always say to speak louder when we are in a loud place. But if I"m wearing my HAs (which I usually do when I am with hearing people), the noise is all around and intimidating. If I take out the HAs, it is much better but then I can't hear anyone. And I don't like to speak loudly in a loud place because I get nervous about how I sound and if I am too loud. I like quiet places much better. There is usually less going on and my HAs don't bother me so much. Do other people have problems with their HAs when it is loud?

I was lucky. My family almost never told me I was too loud or said that I was making "weird" sounds. I have 4 brothers and sister, and we had dogs and cats growing up. Our house was probably loud enough! :D

Sometimes I can hear myself making noises, but I can't hear my own voice and when I'm at a restaurant, I had an excited news to share to everyone, that's when my voice would raise so loud, and I couldn't tell whether I was being loud or not until my hearing sister says that I was....Sometimes I wish I never learn how to speak, then I wouldn't be so embarrassed talking to people or sharing something so excited ....

Another take on it....one of my bestfriends is hearing and just naturally is very loud, she laughs loud, talks loud and her family is always telling her to keep it down, especially in public. I on the other hand celebrate her loudness, I can hear her pretty well and her laughter is like magick to my ears. she loves the fact that I appreciate her loud booming voice!

Something a little uplifting:

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.
-2 Corinthians 12:9

Back