you cannot hear yourself if you make any noise

I am either too loud or as quiet as a church mouse. It is so hard to tell how loud I am being if I do not have my hearing aid in, and even with it in, I get told I am being loud. My boyfriend says that I am a typical deaf chick, LOUD in the bedroom, do you think that this is true for us? Have you been told you are loud while enjoying sexual activity??

That is true because you can moan. Yes i was told that I can be loud during enjoying sexual activity. lol

I am so glad that I am not alone. Thank you all for respond me back.

Big smile

Before I got my cochlear implant, I was really loud just like most deaf people do. My parents, relatives and some hearing friends were so fed up with me by tried to tell me to tone it down. I didn't think I make that loud or talk loud. After I got my cochlear implant, it hit me so hard. I had no idea how loud I really was. I hurt myself by the noises I created. I felt so ashamed of myself. After that, I lowered my voices, and stop make the noises.

When I hang out with my deaf friends, the noises they make... I was polite by let them know by could they please tone it down a bit and explains to them about the noises. They were like DEAF POWER! DEAF POWER! DEAF POWER! I was like Jesus Christ! I had to back off and let them make the noises. I had to turn my cochlear implant volume down so they won't hurt me by the noises.

I would not use deaf power because I support deaf and hearing both. They are same human being. Wink

I respect hearing people that they don't like loud or noise. I had to remind them that I cannot help also I appericate for let me know.

I would not use deaf power because I support deaf and hearing both. They are same human being. Wink

Same here. I think its stupid when some deaf people use "DEAF POWER" to degrade HOH and hearing people. It is like they're spreading HATE.

I respect hearing people that they don't like loud or noise. I had to remind them that I cannot help also I appericate for let me know.

Sometime hearing people have no patiences when deaf/hearing people make noises. Oh well...

Here's a little joke....if they keep yelling "deaf power" coming from over 20 million deaf people saying the same note and lot of hearing people will go deaf and we'll get more deaf people. :giggle:

Yes I can hear myself if I make any noise. I can hear 50%. I had to remind myself all the time, if I can hear sound without my hearing aids, then it is too loud for hearing person. If the tv's volume gets pass 35, then I know I need to change my hearing aid batteries.

:gpost: You have a right to make noises that you could not help that. Boy, many of us deaf do make a lot of noises that we are not aware of until we have hearing aids or Cochlear Implant. As for deer hunting, it is hard to keep quiet not to spook the deer. Please, deaf people and hoh people, don't blame yourself for making the noises that hearing people don't like to hear you. Remember that hearing people love to make loud music in concert or going into loud parties that the cops have to come and tell them to tone down the sounds. It seems like the hearing people are not aware of loud noises themselves too. Imagine that they will be deaf themselves. It will take a while to get their normal hearing back or just go deaf for a long time. lol :laugh2:
Just because hearing people do it doesn't mean we have a right to do it. It's not a right, it's a privilege.

If we can be careful with the sounds we make instead of going around saying, "I have a right to make noise!"... then we prove ourselves to be better than those hearing people who make worse noises than than us deaf people.

Imagine a deaf person complaining to the landlord that a neighbor is playing his music too loud. That would prove that the music is too loud and that the deaf person is smart enough to not be noisy. ;)

When I wear my hearing aids I think Im quiet as I can hear my own voice and I regulate it, but without them I imagine Im quiet but my boyfriend has just told me that I make throat noises and popping sounds with my mouth boy am I embarassed now. I never knew before:giggle:

I have been wearing hearing aids for years ever since i was a kid. I learned to love it by hearing music, talking, etc....... i hate wearing them because it's can cause some sores inside my ears. THe best thing about wearing hearing aids is that I was able to hear my daughters' first cries. But after that, I wish i could turn off my hearing aids hahaha. No really, I have accepted who I am as a father and a husband to my beautiful pure deaf wife. I have learned from all over the world and I guess because of all the experiences I have had in my life, it enable me to respect people for who they are, not what they are. My oldest daughter can speak 3 verbal languanges and also can sign. And she's only 2 years old! Oh i am so proud and I wasn't expecting her to be so darn smarter than me LOL.

Yes I can hear myself if I make any noise. I can hear 50%. I had to remind myself all the time, if I can hear sound without my hearing aids, then it is too loud for hearing person. If the tv's volume gets pass 35, then I know I need to change my hearing aid batteries.

I do something similar for myself, "If I can hear it, it's loud." Although some times there are loud sounds and I still don't hear them. I havn't heard cicadas in about 10 years. I nearly forgot they existed. About a week ago my (hearing) girlfriend mentioned the cicadas were "really loud", my response was "What cicadas? you mean right now?"

It's nearly impossible for me to monitor the volume of my voice, and I tend to speak more softly (especially in noisy situations) I try to match my voice with the level of volume I'm hearing from whoever I'm speaking to, but your own voice is louder in your own head.

Vampyrox brings up a good point, if your practically deaf neighbor thinks your music is too loud, it's too f#$^#$ing loud! I've had problems with noisy neighbors in the past.

I think the only person I embarass is my son... If we are in the store he will jump when I talk and look alarmed..we worked out a way for him to tell me if I am yelling.. He makes V handshape over throat and moves downward...that way I can realize POLITELY that I am yelling... My fourteen year old son and I had MANY conflicts over the noise that I make that I don't know I am making... I used to have that issue with my sister.. I would make heavy breathing sounds when i ran and my sister would be like "why are u breathing loud." Then I realized I couldn't hear myself breathe... I would have panic attacks when I was in a place that was quiet and I would actually leave if I felt I could be loud and not know it... With my hearing aids I realized the whole world is loud.. in fact the world is OBNOXIOUS.. I hated the sound of the toilet, potato chip bags are horrible, garbage disposal..and just about anything on that level. I wanted to cry when I left the hearing aid dispensers office and heard what cars sounded like.. Honestly, people should prepare you for that initial experience!!! I never know if farts are loud or quiet even with my hearing aid..but if I can hear it.. I KNOW everyone heard it and that's bad. I am going to ask my kids if I am making much sound in the house... see what they say.. because I don't want to wait until I marry again to find that stuff out.

I noticed last night that I could be OBNOXIOUSLY loud, even at Football games.

I noticed that in the noisy surroundings I was talking different, being way more throaty I guess so I could feel my own voice, then my DD asked - why are you talking funny mom? I was like what? Then I realized - ah I sounded like some foreigner when I was trying to articulate my words clearly for her to make sure I got my message across.

Then our team scored a touchdown and I yelled GIT R DONE! And people just looked at my like - my god you're LOUD! I had no idea I was quite that loud until my pastor tapped me on the shoulder and asked about it, lol. I think the other team across the field heard me, oooops. I'll yell much quieter next time, :lol:

I noticed that in the noisy surroundings I was talking different, being way more throaty I guess so I could feel my own voice, then my DD asked - why are you talking funny mom? I was like what? Then I realized - ah I sounded like some foreigner when I was trying to articulate my words clearly for her to make sure I got my message across.

Then our team scored a touchdown and I yelled GIT R DONE! And people just looked at my like - my god you're LOUD! I had no idea I was quite that loud until my pastor tapped me on the shoulder and asked about it, lol. I think the other team across the field heard me, oooops. I'll yell much quieter next time, :lol:

Dixie,

Yeah, well we noticed that you're quite loud around here, can you hold it down, please? :D:wave:

On a serious note, why should you have to hold it down at a game? Yell louder, because if I was there with you, I'd be just as loud as you! :cool:

Hahaha! Keep it up being really loud at the game! They need to hear your support! GO DIXIE! :)

OH everyone in the stands were yelling support for the team but when I yelled out GIT R' DONE it came out sounding I had been hit by a mack truck or something - I mean I was VERY VERY LOUD. Im not sure if the refs can kick you out for being too loud, but if I do I'll let you know. :D I knew I was about 20 something decibels higher than everyone else when they all looked at my like oh my gawd, that awful sound came from you?!

Oh well I'll keep supporting our team - we won!

I do have notoriety for having the most horrendous scream anyone has heard. I screamed once in excitement and happiness and my dad heard me half a mile away and honestly thought something was seriously wrong. :rofl:

OMG! That is really hilarious!!!!! KEEP IT UP! Maybe we can hear from you from states away? :rofl:

Well I tried last night but we still got our butts kicked by a team from the sticks. But the thing was I was surprised that we did not lose as badly as we did because they were pretty much running all over us. The final score was 29-21 or something like that.

When my deaf extended family goes out for dinner its real neat, we can sit around the table and lipread each other without making any noise at all, its the hearies who miss out on whats going on.
I find that I am quieter in a noisy enviroment because I cant gauge the level of background noise and expect everyone else to be able to lipread me.

imagine that everything that moves emitted a bright strobe light of varying intensity.

some objects emit a soft strobe....some objects pulse a bright strobe 3 inches away from your eyes. sometimes people emit a strobe light from thier hands while your trying to sign with your friend. or if your trying to sleep at night, and everytime your hearing roommate turns on the tv you get a light flash in front of your eyes.

hearing peoples gripes about the hoises deaf make are exactly comparable to the reverse situation if everything a hearing person did, and everything that made noise in a room..emitted a flash of light instead of sound.....that would suck right? Next time a deaf person gets mad cause i complained about noise, im gonna walk around and flash a strobe light at them everytime they make a noise. haha (just kidding)

that comment they made about "being able to hear you from a mile away" is an idiom, just means you were really loud. doesnt mean literally, if you were THAT loud they physically wouldn't be able to stand near you lol.

When I was about 12 or 13 years old, my dad finally let me go out of town with my church group (he never let me do anything or go anywhere usually) and I was excited. I got up early and got ready for the church group to pick me up. My parents were sleeping. I was getting dressed, ate breakfast, etc. All of a sudden my dad came downstairs and exploded out of anger at me. He said:

"YOU ARE SO LOUD, WITH YOUR SHOES, WITH YOUR BREAKFAST BOWL, EVERYTHING, YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTER NOT TO MAKE ANY NOISE, YOU ARE SO LUCKY I DECIDED TO LET YOU GO WITH YOUR CHURCH GROUP, I SHOULD PUNISH YOU BY NOT LETTING YOU GO, NOW SHUT UP AND BE QUIET, IF YOU MAKE ANY MORE NOISES WHILE I AND LYNN ARE SLEEPING, YOU WILL BE GROUNDED AND YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO GO WITH YOUR CHURCH GROUP!!!!!"

And he stormed back to his bedroom. I felt like shit, it was so hard not to cry. How was I supposed to know I was being too loud, I'm 100% deaf? Even hearing aids didn't help at all. After his explosion, I took my shoes off, tiptoed and stayed in my room til it was time to go outside to wait for the church group van come to pick me up, went outside, locked door quietly, and sat outside til the van came and I left. I really felt like utter shit. He's an asshole.

It's like walking on eggshells with my parents, that is one of the many reasons I left home for good when I was 13 years old, I could not take any more of their shit. :(

Even writing about this makes me feel like crying. :( :cry: :tears:

Back