WTF?! Miscarriage law in Utah

Keiro

Reaction score
MISCARRIAGE LAW IN UTAH

Site above said:
Utah is not a state known for its legislative sanity. This, after all, is a state that recently made headlines for proposing to honor gun manufacturers on Martin Luther King Day and for considering the elimination of 12th grade to cut back on education spending.

Well, it just got a whole lot worse.

Utah just became the first state in the U.S. to criminalize miscarriage and punish women for having or seeking an illegal abortion.

Utah's "Criminal Miscarriage" law:
-expands the definition of illegal abortion to include miscarriages
-removes immunity protections for women who have or seek illegal abortions
-assumes women are "guilty of criminal homicide of an unborn child" if a pregnancy ends after "intentional, knowing, or reckless" behavior.

But even among states that punish illegal abortions, this "Criminal Miscarriage" law is unique. It doesn't punish individuals who perform illegal procedures; it punishes women.

I spoke with activists in Salt Lake City this morning to ask how to help out of state. They all made the exact same request: Tell everyone you know about this law.[/]

What. The. Fuck?!

Get this out to others! :O THIS IS RIDICULOUS!

This is ridiculous...doesn't make any sense what so ever..esp the part about a miscarriage...ppl have these ALL THE TIME and it isn't they're fault! this is effing stupid! ugh ppl these days I do NOT get it...

for people who don't read:
Utah is not a state known for its legislative sanity. This, after all, is a state that recently made headlines for proposing to honor gun manufacturers on Martin Luther King Day and for considering the elimination of 12th grade to cut back on education spending.

Well, it just got a whole lot worse.

Utah just became the first state in the U.S. to criminalize miscarriage and punish women for having or seeking an illegal abortion.

Utah's "Criminal Miscarriage" law:
-expands the definition of illegal abortion to include miscarriages
-removes immunity protections for women who have or seek illegal abortions
-assumes women are "guilty of criminal homicide of an unborn child" if a pregnancy ends after "intentional, knowing, or reckless" behavior.

But even among states that punish illegal abortions, this "Criminal Miscarriage" law is unique. It doesn't punish individuals who perform illegal procedures; it punishes women.

I spoke with activists in Salt Lake City this morning to ask how to help out of state. They all made the exact same request: Tell everyone you know about this law.

for people who don't read:

How about this? From the site:

Think it couldn't possibly be that bad? The ACLU of Utah is pretty sure that it could. In their letter appealing to Utah Governor Gary Herbert to veto the bill (Spoiler: He won't!), the ACLU said:

Practically speaking however, this bill changes the presumption that abortions obtained in this state are legal. If this bill is signed into law, women in this state will essentially be in the uncomfortable and unfortunate position of having to prove that abortions they obtain (or miscarriages that they suffer) are not unlawful.

In fact, it's the "recklessness" standard that may pose the greatest threat.

Again, from the ACLU:

A woman who fails to wear a seatbelt and is in a car accident could be charged with reckless homicide, should she miscarry. Likewise, a woman who has a substance abuse problem is likely to forego necessary prenatal care out of fear that she could be prosecuted for "knowing" or "reckless" homicide by continuing to use illegal substances while pregnant.

The problems don't stop there. Women in physically abusive relationships could be criminally liable for not leaving their partner, regardless of their ability to do so safely or securely. Women seeking lawful abortion may be guilty of criminal homicide if her physician failed to follow exact procedures set forth in the law.

For a law designed to discourage illegal abortion, Utah's "Criminal Miscarriage" law will only drive abortion further underground for those who cannot safely seek or afford legal medical abortion care.

How about this? From the site:

That is not what is going on. It's a letter to the governor.

Also if you don't like it. Don't vote for it. Or get out of the state.

It's also illegal to wear house coats in California while driving.

That is not what is going on. It's a letter to the governor.

Also if you don't like it. Don't vote for it. Or get out of the state.

It's also illegal to wear house coats in California while driving.

I'm not in the state.

... Wait, illegal to wear house coats? Seriously?

The penalty for stealing a horse in Texas is death by hanging.......We never changed the law.......I am always hoping a judge will use it just to see the reaction

That's why Utah sucks. I'm glad I don't live there anymore. :-P

:roll: What a dumb law!

Some women cannot help it cuz of some medical issues!

:roll: What a dumb law!

Some women cannot help it cuz of some medical issues!

:confused: Are you saying women can't wear seatbelts? Or that women MUST use illegal drugs or abuse prescription drugs?

ie "intentional ,knowing or reckless behavior"

isn't performing abortion on your own is illegal already.. that is, if you try to perform your own abortion, you could go to jail for it? Especially when the child is at late term?

I know plenty of women who don't care at all about their baby's health, and I can't figure the life of me why they slowly killing them but won't do abortion ? They have the money too otherwise they would not be able to spend it on drugs and stuff.

isn't performing abortion on your own is illegal already.. that is, if you try to perform your own abortion, you could go to jail for it? Especially when the child is at late term?

I know plenty of women who don't care at all about their baby's health, and I can't figure the life of me why they slowly killing them but won't do abortion ? They have the money too otherwise they would not be able to spend it on drugs and stuff.

Drug addiction is cruel stuff; or any kind of addiction, really. I wouldn't wish it on anyone because it really distorts your thinking and how you prioritize stuff. That's why it piss me off that drug addicts are often heavily punished, sometimes even have their stuff stolen by corrupted local authorities, but no one does anything about those who profit from it. So I disagree punishing someone for substance abuse, unless it's done for illegal abortion.

Drug addiction is cruel stuff; or any kind of addiction, really. I wouldn't wish it on anyone because it really distorts your thinking and how you prioritize stuff. That's why it piss me off that drug addicts are often heavily punished, sometimes even have their stuff stolen by corrupted local authorities, but no one does anything about those who profit from it. So I disagree punishing someone for substance abuse, unless it's done for illegal abortion.

maybe so, but their mind always seem to be clear enough to find drugs and how to pay for it too.

as far as being abuse by authorities, I agree.

But as far as them being mothers, I've heard how some mothers who are addicted neglect their children after they are born, and they don't get away with it if their child got killed.

That is what happens when anti-abortion zealots expand their power to make laws to punish women for miscarriages and birth controls.

it makes no sense, why should women be punished if they try to do abortions on their own and when doctors perform legal abortions, they aren't punished? The outcome is the same - abortion.

Back