:WTF: @ Gallaudet

KingCobra said:
I am sorry that you had to go through this difficult time and I hope everything will be solved someday. I have to agree that the room and board fees would be fully or partially fully refunded to your VR department since you had to withdraw from Gally due to medical reasons. It would be helpful if you provided the Students Life Office or Accounts Office a copy of medical certificate to support your reasons on why you withdrew from Gally.

That was what my friend did. He had to withdraw from Gally due to health reasons although he wanted to stay there. He provided a copy of medical certificate with a signature of his doctor to the Students Life Office and Accounts Office, as a result, the room and board fees was fully refunded to his VR with no problem.

In a way or another, everything be will solved timely, I hope.

Yes I have medical note with doctor's signature and I did show it to them. Theyu did nothing about it.

As for those fact finders, bring back the truth and report them to us please won't ya?

KC, what if you could ask your frat at gally for resources to help Shibby?

AquaMaiden said:
Yes I have medical note with doctor's signature and I did show it to them. Theyu did nothing about it.

As for those fact finders, bring back the truth and report them to us please won't ya?

why don't you think you can sue Gally for fully refund? becuse it is related Medical. it is serious healthy leaving.

GoldenLeaf74

I wish i could be of help to u aqua but i can tell u right now those that went to gally would know better and can help u more, whilist the rest can't really say much, UR BEST BET. make sure u also bring a witness and havr that witness write a statement so they can't screw u over!

javapride said:
I wish i could be of help to u aqua but i can tell u right now those that went to gally would know better and can help u more, whilist the rest can't really say much, UR BEST BET. make sure u also bring a witness and havr that witness write a statement so they can't screw u over!

agree

Illustrator,

I'm a Gallaudet student and I think you said something that may piss Gallaudet community off. Gallaudet may have flaws but it's a good school. Hell, the University PROVIDES degrees where you can get a job.

YOU talking shit about the University for the deaf...THE ONLY university...

: shakes my head : big mistake. :)

Again,

WAKE UP and do your fucking researches before you blab.

First of all, I am sorry to hear what you went through. I hope you will resolve your situation on timely manner and understand your wishes to go to RIT to pursue your degree there.

Did you have student loans to cover your room and board? From what I understand, VR only pays for tuition fees and supplies/books. Room and board fees are paid by student loans or scholarships. Some parents are willing to provide financial support.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
VR even told me he would prefer me to see a couneslor first before going to RIT and show him proof of sessions.

Your VR counselor suggested you to get therapy..I consider it is inappropriate because you are frustrated and finding a way to get waived from medical reasons. I hate to ask you like this... Is your VR counselor hearing or Deaf?

If vr counselor is hearing... many deaf people have problems with hearing vr counselors in general for many reasons. I am one of them.

Hearing vr counselors dont have much knowledge of Deaf culture and language. I got a true story from a reliable source.

The VR counselor who is hearing, referring his Deaf client to the psychiartic ward because he thought that his client was angry when she signed in the air. His perception of Deaf client is crazy. What happened to the client? She decided to commit suicide instead of going to psychiartic ward. It is shocking, eh?

Thats why VR departments are screaming for RCDs, but not enough. Sighs.

Oddball said:
First of all, I am sorry to hear what you went through. I hope you will resolve your situation on timely manner and understand your wishes to go to RIT to pursue your degree there.

Did you have student loans to cover your room and board? From what I understand, VR only pays for tuition fees and supplies/books. Room and board fees are paid by student loans or scholarships. Some parents are willing to provide financial support.

VR even told me he would prefer me to see a couneslor first before going to RIT and show him proof of sessions.

Your VR counselor suggested you to get therapy..I consider it is inappropriate because you are frustrated and finding a way to get waived from medical reasons. I hate to ask you like this... Is your VR counselor hearing or Deaf?

If vr counselor is hearing... many deaf people have problems with hearing vr counselors in general for many reasons. I am one of them.

Hearing vr counselors dont have much knowledge of Deaf culture and language. I got a true story from a reliable source.

The VR counselor who is hearing, referring his Deaf client to the psychiartic ward because he thought that his client was angry when she signed in the air. His perception of Deaf client is crazy. What happened to the client? She decided to commit suicide instead of going to psychiartic ward. It is shocking, eh?

Thats why VR departments are screaming for RCDs, but not enough. Sighs.

That's an extremely sad thing to happen to that person who committed suicide after a problem with the vr counselor. :( Sure hope the standards of vr support will be raised asap and do their jobs better and appropriately as well!

As for Gally -- I did hear a few rumours about the materials used in classes were either way too eay or just easy enough for students to pass with sufficient grades. Remember, that's only rumours I've heard, not fully founded yet.
I just hope that the standards bar will be raised to make students really LEARN and graduate with full experience and learned. ;)

WaterRats13 said:
That's an extremely sad thing to happen to that person who committed suicide after a problem with the vr counselor. :( Sure hope the standards of vr support will be raised asap and do their jobs better and appropriately as well!

As for Gally -- I did hear a few rumours about the materials used in classes were either way too eay or just easy enough for students to pass with sufficient grades. Remember, that's only rumours I've heard, not fully founded yet.
I just hope that the standards bar will be raised to make students really LEARN and graduate with full experience and learned. ;)

I think it's sad, too, Goldie... another thing to consider is that the person may have had bad coping habits (suicide??!). VR Counselors do need to be more compassionate in their approaches. Deaf people are lucky to have VR support (me being one of 'em), and I doubt hearing people have a similar thing.. or do they? There are scholarships that gally's financial aid office take the time and effort to find for you if you ask them for more financial assistance. You have more chances if you have good GPA at gally and your high school career. Once again, this falls in the personal responsibility of the student! No VR counselor can nor do they want to save your ass financially if you have bad GPA. However, their main goal is to get you employed... colleges are only one of the ways to be employed anyhow.

However, it doesnt make sense if people have bad experiences with the business side of gally, automatically the academic side have to be bad for some of you. That's where I disagree. We could go on about this for days, but I doubt that is the original intent of the person who started this thread. We all can agree that no colleges are free.

Okay.... as for solutions to Maiden's problem with gally......
Feel free to browse or post at this forum that is frequented by gallaudet students who have their own views and experiences, but it is not affiliated with the university itself so pretty much opinions run free there. I definitely recommend telling people in this dailyjolt forum about your experiences, Maiden, and you may get a more helpful response. http://gallaudet.dailyjolt.com/forum/
Main page: http://gallaudet.dailyjolt.com/ check out those articles written by Jane Jonas and her team if they have something to do with the business side of Gallaudet. Hope this helps!

Deaf258 said:
KC, take a chill pill. I was being sarcastic about how expensive it is to get in Gallaudet U. Prez Jordan makes about $500,000 a year. The second highest paid president of another college or university, at least in USA, makes about $200,000 per year.

It's also a fact that the more they rise the tuition fees, the higher the raise a college president's salary is.

Sad, but that's what is happening.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,102665,00.html

KingCobra said:
What an idiotic remark! In your dream... You got no pride as Deaf.

Err, not everybody are "D"eaf. Personally, I prefer to be referred to as a human being with the pride of experiencing life with wisdom.

I don't care for labels. Labels just complicate everything.

GoldenLeaf74 said:
why don't you think you can sue Gally for fully refund? becuse it is related Medical. it is serious healthy leaving.

GoldenLeaf74

You gotta be kidding, buddy! Did you know that Gally have used different eight law firms and at least 25 lawyers?

Those law firms specializes in different areas so that is why Gally can use one of two of them in case of any legal action.

WaterRats13 said:
QUOTE]

Goldy, yes it is true that several courses were too easy and boring to learn at Gally only if you were freshman or sophmore ten years ago. Alot of changes were made when King Jordan took over. He greatly emphasized on educational merits as he hired competent educators to run curriculum and programs better. Now It is so much different and much better. The best things ever happened at Gally under King Jordan was to end the preparatory program and to modernize campus.

KingCobra said:
You gotta be kidding, buddy! Did you know that Gally have used different eight law firms and at least 25 lawyers?

Those law firms specializes in different areas so that is why Gally can use one of two of them in case of any legal action.

yah but he need refund full cuz he got a serious healthy what is the point??

Gally should understand complete for that to give him a full refundwhich he will safiisted.

well

Banjo said:
Err, not everybody are "D"eaf. Personally, I prefer to be referred to as a human being with the pride of experiencing life with wisdom.

I don't care for labels. Labels just complicate everything.

In life.. there's always labelling. :mrgreen:

GoldenLeaf74 said:
yah but he need refund full cuz he got a serious healthy what is the point??

Gally should understand complete for that to give him a full refundwhich he will safiisted.

well

Okay - I believe this has something to do with the person who promised Shibby, pardon me, that's AquaMaiden's boyfriend (lol Aqua!!), we're talking about AquaMaiden and I am sorry if I confused you guys! Anyway, I think the person who promised AquaMaiden she'd mail her copy should be held responsible for this mess.... that information is very important and that person messed up royally. This needs to be known to more people so the right actions can be taken to correct it. That's why I suggested for Aqua to post her problem at the gallaudet's dailyjolt forum, where I feel people will be able to help her with better and updated information than we could in this forum. :)

She could also email the dudes (mebbe Jane Jonas?) at Bucknakedbison.com. They are writers, and they might love this kind of tidbit so they could help her.

Also, could we talk about eh, the academic standards of gally and I. King Jordan's salary in another thread? We did get a bit off topic with that, I believe.

You would need to make a copy of your medical reason and send to someone who would be willing to work on it. Request them to waive your fees but if there are some rules like you cant get your money back or waive if past days after the classes start?

If they can't waive you. Best thing to talk to them about payment like you can pay them 25 dollars every week until you pay them off.

Rule -- Best thing to check out/ talk counselor before you are enroll in college. You wouldnt want to make some mistakes.

I never apply for VR. I purchased my classes at college. I just want to have much less hassle. The fact is .. I almost never have much time for myself to make an arragnment with VR, MRS, SSI, SCholarship, student loan, and etc..

First off, I'm sorry you're going through this runaround with with Galluadet, especially when you're already under the stress of dealing with this medical issue. It would appear to me that if your vr has been refunded tuition you are entitled to your room and board minus a reasonable amount for the length of time that you actually resided there. (Up to the date of withdrawal). Gally refuses to refund the amount but have you requested the papers that they feel legally enables them to bill you the full amount? Educate yourself on how their system works rather than focusing on fairness. If they really don't have anything that entitles them to the room and board and still refuse to refund your money I would notify them that they leave you no choice but to file a complaint with the better business bureau. Most importantly, and I must strss this, remain calm and collected. Don't make yourself look uncredible by losing your temper. If after all this you still have to pay, I would just suck it up and make payment arrangements. Its not worth screwing up your credit history over. Good luck and please let us know how your endeavors turn out.

Thank you all for all your inputs and feedbacks - I would love to hear more from Gallaudetians as well if they ever experinced the same thing. Hey KingCobra, can you tell me more about your friend - how he got thru it?

I do have medical note as well and Gallaudet do have their own copy since I saw them taking copy of it when they had to sign my withdrawal papers.

I'm not going to give up on this. Contacting BuckNakedBison & DailyJolit will be my next step. Perhaps Buff n Blue - see what happens, first thing first....

Thanks again!!!!

Back