Wrong word order?

Cultural differences yes, but I mean IQ differences.

Deafness affects IQ results as well. My statement of that is what brought up this whole discussion on testing. An IQ test standardized for a hearing population is not valid or reliable for the deaf population.

Hmmmm....I wonder if this will get you banned? I said a very similar thing, and it got me banned....

Yes. Religious beliefs alter answers as well. That is why it is necessary to get a complete history on anyone that is being tested.

yeah, one of good hearing friend is an straight A's student. Very smart, but in science class when i was sitting next to her (they always assigning me with her in classes.. I think because they feel she can help me), one of our paper asked us to discuss about Lucy.. and she wrote a LONG essay about Lucy and how it is against her beliefs, explaining everything why she believe what she believe and even included bible verses . Me, I just answered the question they asked. I was shocked that the teacher didn't mark her wrong. I sure did get my answer wrong. I can't even remember what was the question, I just remember what she wrote.

Hmmmm....I wonder if this will get you banned? I said a very similar thing, and it got me banned....

How could you have stated a similar thing when you haven't been getting it all day today? :lol:

If you are referring to when you said being deaf is the reason we don't write the same as hearing people, that's not the same thing as taking an IQ test. I consider my writing skills to be good, but I don't have the slightest clue how I would score on an IQ test.

I think we are coming from 2 different perspectives. I also think that you are using a limited and incorrect concept for cognition. And keep in mind, I did not say deafness affects IQ. I said that deafness affects the results of a test that has been standardized on a hearing population. That is quite different from what you said.

If you are referring to when you said being deaf is the reason we don't write the same as hearing people, that's not the same thing as taking an IQ test. I consider my writing skills to be good, but I don't have the slightest clue how I would score on an IQ test.

Exactly. And cognition is much broader than that. Basically, it involves the way we process information, and the thoughts we have. Cognition, therefore is affected by many things. And if you took an IQ test that was standardized for a hearing population, you would no doubt score several points lower than your actual IQ. That is my whole point. The results are not valid unless it is standardized on the deaf population.

How could you have stated a similar thing when you haven't been getting it all day today? :lol:

I thought it was the way I was explaining, but I wonder. Others seem to understand what I am saying.

Exactly. And cognition is much broader than that. Basically, it involves the way we process information, and the thoughts we have. Cognition, therefore is affected by many things. And if you took an IQ test that was standardized for a hearing population, you would no doubt score several points lower than your actual IQ. That is my whole point. The results are not valid unless it is standardized on the deaf population.

There in lies my question, why would it be lower? That doesn't make sense to me. All of her mental facilities are the same and intact, why would she score lower due to being deaf?

There in lies my question, why would it be lower? That doesn't make sense to me. All of her mental facilities are the same and intact, why would she score lower due to being deaf?

I assume much of it would have to do with phonics or language but I'm no expert on stuff like jillio.

Like I said, I cannot teach an entire grad level course on testing and assessment on this forum. Especially when you don't even have the fundamentals yet.

I assume much of it would have to do with phonics or language but I'm no expert on stuff like jillio.

That would be a major part of it. Also, deaf are more visual in processing stimuli than are hearing. Even oral deaf are more visual. Auditory processing is a linear based process, visual processing is spatial and time oriented.

That would be a major part of it. Also, deaf are more visual in processing stimuli than are hearing. Even oral deaf are more visual. , visual processing is spatial and time oriented.

every time I see, "Auditory processing is a linear based process" I keep thinking of the 000101010001000111000111 input of computers.

Wait, I have another question. How far does this go? So, if it needs to be standardized on different populations, where does it stop? Is it standardized on men vs women? How about people with autism? People who use wheelchairs? Where is the line?

As far as someone in a wheelchair goes, that is too broad. The consideration comes in play with regard to WHY they are in a wheelchair. If someone uses a wheelchair because of a spinal injury then, no, cognition would not be affected. However, someone who uses a wheelchair because of traumatic (either pre or post natal) brain injury, may be affected cognitively or may have difficulties with standardized testing because of both motor issues and because of areas of the brain which may be damaged, which cause difficulties in the ability to perform the requirements of the testing.

My son has CP (neurological/ motor disability) which requires him to use a wheelchair, and has testing done, including IQ testing, every three years because of his disabilities. He is very bright, and scores very high in the areas involving verbal intelligence, perceptual reasoning, and working memory; however he scores very low in areas involving processing speed, due in great part to difficulty for visual scanning and fine motor ability, which results in unreliable scoring.

At the beginning of the results and interpretation of results, his report states "Please note that for the most part, standardized tests are designed for use with typical children and must be interpreted with caution when used with children who have motor/ neurological difficulties."
So, he has the same testing, but it is interpreted slightly differently and can often not result in a reliable overall score.

Back