Writing ur Name: Cursive or Print (Block Lettering)?

rockin'robin

Reaction score
My son still writes in "print", 0r block-lettering, (age 14). On the FCAT's, he scored a 5.5 out of 6 for writing, one of the best.

I've encouraged him for years to practice more on cursive writing, to no avail. I talked to his teacher about it last week, she said it made no difference what-so-ever! When he does at times write cursive, it's a mess! (Probably make a good doctor!)

What do you guys think?

The test on the F-Cat is usually filling in the bubbles. Unless it is the writing part like you said.

F-Cat does not grade on cursive or writing in print. They mainly are looking at the writing skills itself.

They mainly look at comprehensions, or expressions.

What grade is your son is in?

My son is in Third grade and I am still awaiting for his F-CAT Results.

I am pretty sure he passed. He does well in school.

How do you feel about Failing a child, in 3rd, 7th, or 12th grade due to not passing the F- CAT

Well, I don't think the style of writing should matter, I feel the quality should matter...I have possibly the worst writing in the planet, a very nice mixture of cursive and print, and I got a literay award, and a A+ aggregate for English!

It doesn't matter!!!

Well, I don't think the style of writing should matter, I feel the quality should matter...I have possibly the worst writing in the planet, a very nice mixture of cursive and print, and I got a literay award, and a A+ aggregate for English!

It doesn't matter!!!

I agree. Due to my daughter is in the gifted program. She does very well.

The only thing is.. her hand writing is sloppy.

So in her IEP meeting, I questioned it.

You know what they said to me..??? I do not know if it is true or not.

but anyhoo. They said majority of gifted children have the worst handwriting skills.

And told me to not get discouraged, when a teacher complains about her handwriting.

The test on the F-Cat is usually filling in the bubbles. Unless it is the writing part like you said.

F-Cat does not grade on cursive or writing in print. They mainly are looking at the writing skills itself.

They mainly look at comprehensions, or expressions.

What grade is your son is in?

My son is in Third grade and I am still awaiting for his F-CAT Results.

I am pretty sure he passed. He does well in school.

How do you feel about Failing a child, in 3rd, 7th, or 12th grade due to not passing the F- CAT
My son is in the 8th grade. And he scored 5.5 on the "writing" skill. So, I might be making "much ado about nothing"...when he does write something (print), he is very fast and neat.

My other son, 12, is honor roll, grade 7. He writes cursive/print...back and forth.

Since my boys do well in school, and if they did fail the F-Cats, of course I would be disappointed!

Gifted: I should think indeed!

but anyhoo. They said majority of gifted children have the worst handwriting skills.

And told me to not get discouraged, when a teacher complains about her handwriting.

Amazingly, that could be true...I just couldn't be bothered as today's world is moving towards computers, I hardly write, now I type...

But at school, yeah, I always got in the bad books because of writing, but it never bothered me, because if it's legible enough, thats more than fine!

Well, let's hope I do become "gifted" in the future!! :lol:

All the best to your daughter!

My son is in the 8th grade. And he scored 5.5 on the "writing" skill. So, I might be making "much ado about nothing"...when he does write something (print), he is very fast and neat.

My other son, 12, is honor roll, grade 7. He writes cursive/print...back and forth.

Since my boys do well in school, and if they did fail the F-Cats, of course I would be disappointed!

5.5!! YAY!!! A 6 is the highest you can go in the write! I would not be concerned at all!

My daughter is in 6th she does the same... Cursive, print, cursive, print.

Even though I do wish that she can stick to one.

Wheeee! Thks, girls! Just took a load off my shoulders.....(wish it were my butt)! HAHA

Amazingly, that could be true...I just couldn't be bothered as today's world is moving towards computers, I hardly write, now I type...

But at school, yeah, I always got in the bad books because of writing, but it never bothered me, because if it's legible enough, thats more than fine!

Well, let's hope I do become "gifted" in the future!! :lol:

All the best to your daughter!

Thanks.

Daughter, Daughter has a couple of classes now, that uses lap tops for work.

but she also take classes that requires hand writing as well.

I'm a cursive writer :D That's how we learned writing ever since 3rd grade, but I don't think it is important in the future... whatever he feels comfortable with should be fine ;)

JL

I'm a cursive writer :D That's how we learned writing ever since 3rd grade, but I don't think it is important in the future... whatever he feels comfortable with should be fine ;)

JL

I do encourage my daughter to write. She has her lap top classes but also as I stated she has classes that requires hand written work.

I would hate to see hand written work, be replaced by the technology.

Seems like it will not be long before hand writing will be a lost art.. :(

Seems like it will not be long before hand writing will be a lost art.. :(

I can understand your point of view... I realised that my writing-skills (with pen) have decreased ever since I started using computers... :( Writing more than several lines makes my fingers hurt... :giggle: it's ridiculous...

One day my writing would be neat then neat day or few hrs or whatever, then it's sloppy. Oh who cares! LOL! My son hasn't learn the cursive yet but I believe he will next year in 3rd grade. :) I dunno if his writing will be so neat or sloppy...we'll see when the time get near by. :)

I have never been good at writing in cursive. The only thing I can write in cursive is when signing my name... and it doesn't even look like good cursive.

I still use print when writing. :)

I do both. Sometimes in the same word. Bad I know. I prefer to type. I can type a lot faster than I can write. My script writing is always the best. Where with cursive it gets harder to read. Don't know why.
LOL

My handwriting is really neat.... at least that's what I've been told.

I only sign my name in Cursive, but as for writing, I write in print instead. I hate writing in cursive, it just not natural for me, so I only write in print and sign in cursive.

And as I hate to admit.... I can't read cursive writing most of the time... I can hardly read my husband's or my grandma's writing in cursive that I had to ask what does it say. lol

I do both. Sometimes in the same word. Bad I know. I prefer to type. I can type a lot faster than I can write. My script writing is always the best. Where with cursive it gets harder to read. Don't know why.
LOL

I do the same too! I have to be careful when I write in my dialogue journal with my 4th graders..they can read in cursive and print but not sure if they will if both are used in the same word. LOL!

I find that I can think better when writing in cursive. My thoughts flow faster than when I am writing in print. Does anyone experience the same?

As for children learning cursive...the curriculm where I teach at doesnt put a strong emphasis on cursive but I still taught my students how to read and write in cursive even though many told me not to bother. I dont care cuz someday, they may find themselves in a situation where they have to read in cursive.

When he does at times write cursive, it's a mess! (Probably make a good doctor!)

What do you guys think?

I think there's more than enough doctor bashing about handwriting! I'll have you know, my handwriting is neat, clear, and better than both my secretaries' and all 4 of my nurses'. And one of my partner's handwriting is even better than mine! Never had a complaint from a pharmacy being unable to read a Rx, or a family being confused about instructions.

I also print quite often, equally neatly.

(no, I didn't go to Catholic school :giggle:)

Back