Writing ur Name: Cursive or Print (Block Lettering)?

I normally write in print. The only time I will write in cursive is when I sign my name.

I find that it is much easier for me to write in print and also it is easier on the hand when I write in print. Whenever I write in cursive, I find that it kinds of slows down a little bit for me. Maybe it's just how I am though. :)

I agree. Due to my daughter is in the gifted program. She does very well.

The only thing is.. her hand writing is sloppy.

So in her IEP meeting, I questioned it.

You know what they said to me..??? I do not know if it is true or not.

but anyhoo. They said majority of gifted children have the worst handwriting skills.

And told me to not get discouraged, when a teacher complains about her handwriting.

Yeah, this seems to be a matter of penmanship. As far as I know, penmenship is not a part of the curriculum anymore. It was years ago, but school is more focused now on making sure that kids can put an idea into writing and expand on it in a logical and creative way. They don't care that it is neatly written. Especially since no one hand writes documents anymore. Everything is typed on a computer or word processor.

I think there's more than enough doctor bashing about handwriting! I'll have you know, my handwriting is neat, clear, and better than both my secretaries' and all 4 of my nurses'. And one of my partner's handwriting is even better than mine! Never had a complaint from a pharmacy being unable to read a Rx, or a family being confused about instructions.

I also print quite often, equally neatly.

(no, I didn't go to Catholic school :giggle:)

My husband's handwriting was quite legible as well. He claimed they tried to ruin it in med school by forcing him to take notes so quickly, but it didn't work!:giggle:

While we're on the subject of this, it would be curious to know how each person writes in print and in cursive. All you need to do is write your name in print and in cursive, scan it to your computer then upload to photobucket or AD.com to share with everyone.

My son still writes in "print", 0r block-lettering, (age 14). On the FCAT's, he scored a 5.5 out of 6 for writing, one of the best.

I've encouraged him for years to practice more on cursive writing, to no avail. I talked to his teacher about it last week, she said it made no difference what-so-ever! When he does at times write cursive, it's a mess! (Probably make a good doctor!)

What do you guys think?

It does not really matter at all except for maybe signatures. There really is no point at all.

My dad used to give me hell for my handwriting, he finds even nice and neat print to be completely unacceptable no matter how nice and neat they are and demands that I write everything in perfect neat cursive and he even inspected all my schoolwork and if he finds something that is not to his standard he erases all my homework that I have done for that day and makes me do everything over and over and over until everything is exactly perfect. He insists that if I do not have perfect and neat cursive handwriting on everything I write for school I would never get into college because "colleges always look at your high school papers for neatness and they do not accept sloppy handwriting even if it is in cursive". I now know he was wrong and full of it and he was nothing but being an abusive asshole. Now I absolutely REFUSE to write in cursive except for signing important papers and signing the credit card receipts as well as checks. When I have ink for my printer I type and print out everything I write as I hate handwriting - it hurts my hands.

I would say not to force your son to do cursive in everything he does, just to make sure he has the ability to sign his own name in cursive, nothing else in cursive really matters at all. I don't know if banks and legal places will accept signatures written in print as I have never signed anything in print. Not even sure if signing your name in cursive will even serve a purpose for security reasons or not - I vaguely remember someone saying that it is harder to forge a signature in print than it is to forge something in cursive, but maybe I am wrong. Maybe someone else can chime in on this. But I would most definitely not make a mountain out of that little molehill - just make sure he can sign his own name in cursive and he will be fine. Nothing else in cursive really matters. No one really cares, except for those with OCD about penmanship, like my dad. I do not even talk to my dad anymore anyway.

And as for doctors - today they can print out RXs with all the medication names in print ink and then sign their own name on the script. So, it does not really matter how messy your son's cursive writing is. One of my doctors prints out all his RXs and then signs his name on them. As long as the scripts are typed and printed out there are much lesser chances for mistakes when pharmacists try to decipher the sloppy handwriting. I actually like that - much safer so people do not get the wrong medication. Isn't technology great? LOL.

Thanks.

Daughter, Daughter has a couple of classes now, that uses lap tops for work.

but she also take classes that requires hand writing as well.

What class would that be? I can't imagine a class that would require handswriting if it is in college...except for math? Is that it? That's the only class I can think of that requires handwriting.

My son still writes in "print", 0r block-lttering, (age 14). On the FCAT's, he scored a 5.5 out of 6 for writing, one of the best.

I've encouraged him for years to practice more on cursive writing, to no avail. I talked to his teacher about it last week, she said it made no difference what-so-ever! When he does at times write cursive, it's a mess! (Probably make a good doctor!)

What do you guys think?
I prefer to write in print and do so 99.99999% of the time. I have a hard time making out the words when others use cursive because as you mentioned, sometimes it's a mess.

I think there's more than enough doctor bashing about handwriting! I'll have you know, my handwriting is neat, clear, and better than both my secretaries' and all 4 of my nurses'. And one of my partner's handwriting is even better than mine! Never had a complaint from a pharmacy being unable to read a Rx, or a family being confused about instructions.

I also print quite often, equally neatly.

(no, I didn't go to Catholic school :giggle:)

What does Catholic schools have to do with neat penmanship?

Notoriously, nuns would hit hands of students to get perfect penmanship.

It worked.

I didn't know that. That's very wrong. If someone hit my child for his or her penmanship or ANY other reasons they would catch hell from me! I would even go as far as to get the teachers or anyone else that hit my child removed from the school permanently.

If anyone did that to me, I would make sure to make THEIR lives a living hell later on when I got older.

I don't care if it "worked"...that kind of treatment is NOT acceptable, period! No matter what the reason is! It's called physical abuse!

I did go to a Catholic school when I was VERY young, for either Early Childhood or pre-school, not sure what it is, maybe it was even daycare/childcare? I don't know, it was very...well we did a lot of play and crafts and art and other fun stuff...you know what I mean, that kind of thing...the kind that suits 3-4 years olds...no I am not Catholic, my mom and dad just needed to work, so where else could they put me, I think this school was recommended by another old friend's mother, and I think it was for free, it has to be cause my parents were very poor and no way in hell could they afford tuition at a private school...or I could have gotten a scholarship, I dunno...I remember a lot of nuns and other children, but I do not remember nuns ever hitting me, thankfully. I've acted up but they have never ever hit me (I would remember if they hit me), most they ever did was put me in a time-out. I don't remember very much, though, and I think that school closed due to lack of funding and I ended up at the local public school with a oral program.

I never got ruler-slapped for penmanship, but I recall getting ruler-slapped on the hand for starting filling in bubbles on a standardized exam in school. Around the 3rd or 4th bubble *POP!* OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!

I had started before the tester said "You may begin"

It does not really matter at all except for maybe signatures. There really is no point at all.

My dad used to give me hell for my handwriting, he finds even nice and neat print to be completely unacceptable no matter how nice and neat they are and demands that I write everything in perfect neat cursive and he even inspected all my schoolwork and if he finds something that is not to his standard he erases all my homework that I have done for that day and makes me do everything over and over and over until everything is exactly perfect. He insists that if I do not have perfect and neat cursive handwriting on everything I write for school I would never get into college because "colleges always look at your high school papers for neatness and they do not accept sloppy handwriting even if it is in cursive". I now know he was wrong and full of it and he was nothing but being an abusive asshole. Now I absolutely REFUSE to write in cursive except for signing important papers and signing the credit card receipts as well as checks. When I have ink for my printer I type and print out everything I write as I hate handwriting - it hurts my hands.

I would say not to force your son to do cursive in everything he does, just to make sure he has the ability to sign his own name in cursive, nothing else in cursive really matters at all. I don't know if banks and legal places will accept signatures written in print as I have never signed anything in print. Not even sure if signing your name in cursive will even serve a purpose for security reasons or not - I vaguely remember someone saying that it is harder to forge a signature in print than it is to forge something in cursive, but maybe I am wrong. Maybe someone else can chime in on this. But I would most definitely not make a mountain out of that little molehill - just make sure he can sign his own name in cursive and he will be fine. Nothing else in cursive really matters. No one really cares, except for those with OCD about penmanship, like my dad.

I concur. Signatures need to match the driver's license or state ID card; as for signatures on a check, I've seen people print their name, nothing wrong with this.

Personally, I prefer handwriting to printing, as all my notes are written, not printed.

I didn't know that. That's very wrong. If someone hit my child for his or her penmanship or ANY other reasons they would catch hell from me! I would even go as far as to get the teachers or anyone else that hit my child removed from the school permanently.

If anyone did that to me, I would make sure to make THEIR lives a living hell later on when I got older.

Is this all you'd do? Shoot! Christian or not, I'd break their fingers . . . one at a time!

My son still writes in "print", 0r block-lettering, (age 14). On the FCAT's, he scored a 5.5 out of 6 for writing, one of the best.

What do you guys think?

I wouldn't worry about it, but you can have him practice on D'nealin (sp?)

Back