Writing a Deaf essay

Taffie

Reaction score
Hi. :) At my school there is a program called the "National History Day".

Instead of choosing something like everyone else, a few friends and myself decided to do a report on the Deaf culture. We're even planning on learning some ASL to do for the crowd while we're doing our presentation.

Anyways, I'm having trouble finding sources for my essay. My teacher has extended it to the internet, but even now I can't find info on how they've been treated over the course of History. All I know is that the treatment was awful - they were considered dumb because they had trouble understanding oralism. Then the Milan Conference came around, after ASL was established, and oralists made the decision for the entire death community. After that, things improved when they held strong, but the Deaf Holocaust was a huge knock down.

From then it seems like (although there is still lack of acceptance today) the Deaf community is evolving and expanding to a new and better level. I traveled to Galludet and was happy to see how normal and nice people are there.

Still, though, I am having issues with sources. My three paragraphs work around:
First Paragraph
Pre-Milan
Milan
After-Milan
How the deaf community is today
Conclusion

I am looking for quotes that expresses hatred at the Deaf community (mostly stuff that they thought Pre-Milan) and then quotes that focus on improvements.

Thanks a lot for your help. =D

Hi. :) At my school there is a program called the "National History Day".

I dont know what level in school you are, but you have chosen a very ambitious project, especially when you outlined the your three paragraphs.

Still, though, I am having issues with sources. My three paragraphs work around:
First Paragraph
Pre-Milan
Milan
After-Milan
Conclusion

now three paragraphs each or as the whole essay?
if the former then continue reading, if the later, read at the end...*and can pick bits from the middle too but chose carefully as you will run out of room very fast.

Anyways, I'm having trouble finding sources for my essay. My teacher has extended it to the internet, but even now I can't find info on how they've been treated over the course of History. All I know is that the treatment was awful - they were considered dumb because they had trouble understanding oralism.

Then the Milan Conference came around,

after ASL was established,
asl was not even recognised during , before and after the Milan conference, wasnt until way later into the late 1960s, even then it wasnt popular, the social attituidal change was very very slow

and oralists made the decision for the entire death community. < that bit doesnt make sense, drop it

oralism was a result of the mandate set down by the milan conference

After that, things improved when they held strong,

what improvment? hearing aids? cochlear implants?, education pedagogy? id say forget that bit

but the Deaf Holocaust was a huge knock down.

WW2 holocaust, is just more of an example of genocide, than a straight forward link with Deaf assimilation to the Hearing way, might be better to leave that out, but others might say or view this differently from me

From then it seems like (although there is still lack of acceptance today) the Deaf community is evolving and expanding to a new and better level.

progress is VERY slowly, technology changes so fast, dont be fooled
I traveled to Galludet and was happy to see how normal and nice people are there.

First Paragraph
always leave the first paragraph as the last thing to write, it is an introduction, in which you have to tell the reader what you are going to say, in other words breifly summerise what your essay is about and word it out as an entry to the topic

Pre-Milan

various things you can say, pick 1 earliest greek philosopher, then maybe 1 discovery or complilation of hand sign documented in the middle ages perhpas

Milan
read about this from when the mind hears, everyone knows this one

After-Milan

thats oralism, talk about what oralism did to deaf people, find out about the failure rates of literacy would be a good one, and or high unemployment or boarding schools

well thats hard, it is so varied now, you have to work that out yourself

Conclusion

this is where you may state a political position or climate with some sort of visionary aspect or thoughts

I am looking for quotes that expresses hatred at the Deaf community (mostly stuff that they thought Pre-Milan) and then quotes that focus on improvements.

sorry cant help with the quotes, you have to dig in it for yourself

for 3 paragraphs, , need to do say focus right on Milan Conference, nothing else.

introduce with something to say why you want to highlight Milan conference as the most significant historical event which banned sign language.
added difficulty that you will have to work out is, to say how the came-back of sign language was signposted, from late 1960 (stokoe) to this day.

Best of luck

Thanks so much for your help. My essay is doing pretty well at the moment.

One last question - would some of you mind taking part in an interview?

Please include your name if you decide to help. :) Just let me know how being deaf has effected your life, what improvements you'd like to see, how you're treated, and if you believe acceptance/understanding is getting better.

Thanks a lot, you guys have been great. =)

probably too late for that now. and beside even i ciould , i wont, my story is'nt interesting

Thanks so much for your help. My essay is doing pretty well at the moment.

One last question - would some of you mind taking part in an interview?

Please include your name if you decide to help. :) Just let me know how being deaf has effected your life, what improvements you'd like to see, how you're treated, and if you believe acceptance/understanding is getting better.

Thanks a lot, you guys have been great. =)

i'll do an interview if you want. my name's jessi and i'm HOH\Deaf-identified with 1st percentile CAPD [a comprehension disorder]. idk if it's too late or not, but you can message me if you want.

x
x
x
j.

There are heaps of website links, you could use, below are some links which I gathered and that I believe would be ample materials you could use for your essay writing.

Deaf History - Milan 1880

Deaf Power NOW!

My Deaf Page

Through Deaf Eyes . Deaf Life . Signing, Alexander Graham Bell and the NAD | PBS

you can google the rest, easily!, say type in 'milan conference banned sign language" these result above are found just from this very keywords used!.

good luck

Thanks for the links. I've book marked them in my deaf issues folder.

Back