Wrestling with Angels

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there's actually a mute button so you don't see anything they say or they see anything you say so you can converse with others without that input.

I also feel like you do, that I don't belong to any special group, and I think that makes it even easier to feel like I'm not understood at all, at any time.

the ignore feature give a member the option to ignore people that are annoying them. the member that is being ignored can still read everything that is being posted by the person doing the ignoring. you can still view the person you are ignoring when another member quotes them.

Naisho;

>I feel it's fine that you can attempt to break it down. The harder part is breaking down "Hearing culture", which in itself, is rather a misnomer of sorts.

I agree completely. However, I could not figure any other way to comply with the lumping of 'hearing people' into one group. And there does seem to be a real perceived dichotomy. If we take the 'parent' post from this one, for instance: it was not titled, "Annoying ignorant people stories." So, I think that there might be a hearing-specific frustration/anger/etc. If I am wrong, please correct me, because I am making the conclusion on limited data.

> What type of culture might entail for an adopted kid/foster parents whom do not regard their ethnic origins? This is sort of in line with example 3, but differs in the terms of adopted ethnicity vs genetics of the child.

This is a big question in my house, since we plan to adopt and have no desire to limit the available pool of children by race. Even though we would make an effort to respect and educate our child on their ethnic origins, I am not sure that it could ever be the same as having a parent of those origins.

>Yes, although generally accepted term to late-deafened usually means someone who has a) reached adulthood, or b) exceeded the timeline of first language acquisition. Generally, I feel it's safe to accept that anyone legal years of age (18) turning deaf after then is considered late deafened. I'm sure you'll find debate if you try to identify an earlier age for the term.

Ah! Thank you for clarifying.

>Do you start to see how culture can actually vary between these examples? We can go on for what seems like forever until we've listed all officially recognized cultures and identified their disparities.

<sigh> Yes, I see and agree. However, as you seem to be alluding, it becomes counterproductive at some point. To some degree (perhaps a large degree), every individual within every sub-sub-subculture is going to be, well... an individual. And will react to things individually. It is MUCH easier for me to understand and predict individuals rather than groups of people. Groups and cultures are hard.... too many darn toes to step on. :) Still, one often has to encounter cultural influences on individuals. End-of-life discussions are very different in the city I studied in, than where I work now. What family/supporters are in the delivery room is very different as well. One cannot best serve these people, without learning something about their culture - even though the next Hispanic/Black/Jew/Jain/lesbian/blind person/etc might perceive their own subgroup entirely differently.

> Again, it depends who [which deaf community?] and where [which location?]. For the most part people are welcomed of all backgrounds, but the catcher is they have to accept Deaf culture first. Making it past that hurdle is the brunk of the work.

<nodding> I think I sort of understand. But, if someone is deafened later and didn't know Deaf culture before being deafened, I imagine in might be hard to accept it if they don't know anything about it. Maybe? And does it end up being a source of conflict? Say, for example, like the black kid raised by a white mom in a white suburb who is neither "black enough" nor "white enough" to fit in?

They are good at their jobs. I've never asked, because it seems a rather personal question, but I would be shocked to find that they are paid less for their work than their hearing peers. That seems unjust and perhaps not legal...???

There is not a whole lot we can do. Many of us accept the low pay just to avoid being on the employer's 'shit list'.

Proving that we are underpaid is expensive and tiring.

Being gay is a minority? Not really a good comparison, but I see where you are headed. Who is more likely to be turned down for a job, the gay hearing person or the deaf person? Most of the hearing gay people I know are very successful at what they do, they move up the corporate ladder frequently, and have a choice of announcing whether they are gay or not.

Most of us deaf people don't think about being deaf until we encounter audism, which comes in many different forms.

Yeah, it wasn't the greatest comparison. Sorry. Let's say Black or Hispanic, then. (And I am not either, so if you are and I am wrong, please jump in with corrections). I would imagine that they probably also are not forced to think of themselves AS a minority most of the time. Especially if they live in neighborhoods of mostly the same ethnicity. But if the minority status is because of something 'disabling,' like being chair-bound for instance, it seems like there has to be reminders everywhere. The curb, the checkout line, the bathroom, the park, etc. What I am trying to postulate (and it is just a theory) is that maybe the Deaf (and similarly the blind, etc) are unique amongst other minority cultures by nature of what makes them a minority. What do you think? Totally off base?

we have 2 deaf doctor/nurse in here. they're very cordial and respectful because they don't poke/prod to find out what make them tick.

There is not a whole lot we can do. Many of us accept the low pay just to avoid being on the employer's 'shit list'.

Proving that we are underpaid is expensive and tiring.

<nodding> That makes total sense. There are a great many things an employer could do "under the radar" that could make working there... less than pleasant. I'm not sure that I know of a solution. That's AWFUL!

I poke and prod almost everybody like they are my science experiments. Just ask my wife!

Feel free to poke and prod me all you want, I've been sick for 10+ years and saw so many doctors I ran out of money and still don't have an answer. :giggle: :D

Oh wait, we're talking about deafness. Damn! Nevermind. :lol:

My point, here, though... is that I understand the need to poke and prod... but you should be invited or ask permission first rather than jumping right in and doing it. Imagine if you were poking and prodding someone physically rather than online - would you ask their permission first, after having asked questions to get as much information as possible, or would you jump right up when they barely know you and start putting your hands all over them? If you did the latter, it would NOT go over well, would it? It would upset that person. Doing it with words on a message board may not be physical, but it has the same effect. Many members here are tired of being poked and prodded at in either manner, but there are a few of us, myself included, that haven't run out of patience yet, if you only ask first or be invited.

Yeah, it wasn't the greatest comparison. Sorry. Let's say Black or Hispanic, then. (And I am not either, so if you are and I am wrong, please jump in with corrections). I would imagine that they probably also are not forced to think of themselves AS a minority most of the time. Especially if they live in neighborhoods of mostly the same ethnicity. But if the minority status is because of something 'disabling,' like being chair-bound for instance, it seems like there has to be reminders everywhere. The curb, the checkout line, the bathroom, the park, etc. What I am trying to postulate (and it is just a theory) is that maybe the Deaf (and similarly the blind, etc) are unique amongst other minority cultures by nature of what makes them a minority. What do you think? Totally off base?

I think you are thinking too much into this. If your spouse eventually becomes deaf to the point where she is being treated differently, you can sit back and watch how the hearing world treats her as a minority. That should answer most of your questions.

<chuckle> So, Grayma, are you familiar at all with Objectivism? I ask because I was IN LOVE with Randian philosophy in my early teens. But as I grew up, particularly in the transition from high school to undergrad, began to resign myself to the conclusion that it could never work. Mostly because there are not that many 'rational men.' ....

Yes, I am familiar with it. I enjoy Rand's work, but I agree about its weaknesses being not enough rational people by her definition. That's not an all bad thing. Her 'rationality' led her to be quite cruel to her husband when he got dementia. She felt like he could just overcome it if only he'd pull up his socks and be a man.

Jalestra;

>I actually have different ways to deal with it. (Wall of Text incoming) Also, almost all my interactions are non-hierarchical. Even those that shouldn't be, because honestly I don't do well with people who want to boss me around. Souvenirs of my childhood.

<surprised> Wow! I find hierarchies so... comforting most of the time. Role-based interaction is much harder for me to... 'mess up.' <sheepish grin> And GOLLY does it ruffle my feathers when someone who is "supposed" to be in one role, is later encountered in another role. I have a particularly hard time, say, running into my boss at the movies. Ugh! Gives me shutters just to THINK about it. Well, you've broken theory that 'people like me' love hierarchies. I can't wait to see what else we can learn together!

>1. I don't talk to people very often at all outside the internet. Between this and the hearing loss, it's very difficult to get people to understand and meet me halfway.

This is very interesting! I think it is a bit different for me, because my spouse previously mentioned, "They would not have reacted that way if you were speaking in person." Which is usually true. I can charm 'in person' fairly well. It is all acting. In a way it is somewhat disrespectful to the other party, because I am not being genuine. I play a role. But they seem to prefer that, and it works. However, when I am trying to approach someone with genuine respect (not just that dictated by roles), I am often more likely to "be myself" because I view them as an equal. This often has the opposite of the intended effect. Which sort of happened here earlier, I think. On typed social forums, my manner of speech and thinking processes must be off-putting? But in MY head, if I used any other manner than my own, I would be demeaning my audience. Does that make sense? How have you managed to make your "internet voice" pleasantly engaging?!

>2. To those who make the effort I tell them I'm "that" geek, the extremely socially awkward one who makes frequent social gaffes.

<grin> I've definitely given that speech before. Sometimes even with the 'live long and prosper' sign. <only sort of teasing> Oh to live on Vulcan! <wistful>

>4. For the most part, I just don't care.

This is very honest and very brave of you to admit. I know, because when I admit things like this, it is not often embraced by the people around me. I have a theory (feel free to blow it out of the water) that perhaps people who are more emotionally based don't have a "neutral" place. I am neutral about a great many things. I just do not care. Its not in the same way that other people seem to use that statement. They seem to mean an active, unpleasant not-caring. That's not what I mean. That not-caring state takes much more energy for me to achieve than I think it does them. I mean neutral, no energy-required, not caring. Do you have this?

>5. And lastly, I try very hard to find things in which I feel similarly and apply those to other situations. Of course, it's always a bit off because my response to a feeling is not the same as others, but I DO feel things and I understand how that makes ME feel and it's somewhat easier to understand why they feel the way they do. Somewhat, not 100%, many times not even 50%.

<nodding> Yes! I do feel things as well, although I am pretty sure that I don't have nearly the breadth of emotional experience that others seem to. In fact, I often have to "think my way" into an emotion. Even during times when I SHOULD feel things strongly, like funerals. I have to think my way to grief. The emotion doesn't just come with the situation, like it seems to for others. Growing up, when I was interacting in a place where I did not feel COMPLETELY safe to 'be myself,' I used to try to figure out what the people around me were feeling and 'think myself' into feeling it. These days, that just takes too much energy most of the time and I just pretend instead of actually calling up the emotion.

>Sometimes its sole existence is based on meeting an emotional need I just don't have and cannot understand. In that case, you just do what you are doing...ask questions, persevere until someone has the patience to deal with you, or give up. Of course, in that case it's just grasping in the dark and you have to figure out how many people you're willing to piss off to get to your goal.

<Laughing> Well, as you know, pissing off people is just kinda how-things-go sometimes. (Okay, okay, a great deal of the time) And it is SO HARD for me to give up on things. Once I decide that I do not understand something, I HAVE to work with it until I come to a degree of understanding that I can accept. It doesn't have to be completely (I have gotten over that paradigm falsity. It was rough. But, I can now say that I will probably never understand anything COMPLETELY). If I don't do this, the not knowing "picks" at me until I actually begin to feel a sort of stress from it. Or maybe not stress, but something uncomfortable in a similar way.

You know, the "meeting an emotional need I just don't have" part... has me thinking. I don't know how to respond to that yet. I need to think some more.

>As far as my parents....

Thank you for being willing to share that. <thinking> My father is very emotional. My mother is even farther along the 'intellectual' spectrum than I am. I figured it must be genetic. But you are right, some of that could be a reaction to dealing with the emotions around. It had to be terribly confusing for you growing up!

>Also, because you seem to be further than I am on our end of the spectrum, I might actually be able to 'translate" for you! lol IM me at any time. As I am sure you experience, it's very hard to offend me since it doesn't really affect me for the most part.

<grin, genuine> Thank you!

Many members here are tired of being poked and prodded at in either manner, but there are a few of us, myself included, that haven't run out of patience yet, if you only ask first or be invited.

This is a very good point that I did not think of. Thank you for bringing that up. I will try not to make that mistake again.

but you should be invited or ask permission first rather than jumping right in and doing it.

IME, if you wait to be asked, you'll never find out. People just don't do that.

I've also had many cases of this one: Me: "Can I ask you a few questions to better understand where you're coming from?" Person: "Oh YES!" (insert question) "Well don't you think that's rude????" DOH!

When you can't win either way, you just learn to jump in there because eventually you'll find that one person that says "Wait..let me help you".

Many people don't realize that asking questions is my way of understanding because I can't see it from a more "normal" point of view. THAT is what we have trouble learning. I really do see correlations between my communication issues as a HOH person and as a socially awkward person. Which is why I'm just as confused as teamint with the reaction to the questions...we all know how important meeting halfway in communication is.

I think you are thinking too much into this. If your spouse eventually becomes deaf to the point where she is being treated differently, you can sit back and watch how the hearing world treats her as a minority. That should answer most of your questions.

Yes, it could. Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, by then it might be far too late to be of service to my community NOW.

Yes, I am familiar with it. I enjoy Rand's work, but I agree about its weaknesses being not enough rational people by her definition. That's not an all bad thing. Her 'rationality' led her to be quite cruel to her husband when he got dementia. She felt like he could just overcome it if only he'd pull up his socks and be a man.

Yeah. As a person, she was a little... odd. But I sure did LOVE her theories as a teen! <grin>

<nodding> That makes total sense. There are a great many things an employer could do "under the radar" that could make working there... less than pleasant. I'm not sure that I know of a solution. That's AWFUL!

I would say it is a safe bet that we have all experienced that at one time or another.

aw... ignoring me? :aw:

IME, if you wait to be asked, you'll never find out. People just don't do that.

I've also had many cases of this one: Me: "Can I ask you a few questions to better understand where you're coming from?" Person: "Oh YES!" (insert question) "Well don't you think that's rude????" DOH!

When you can't win either way, you just learn to jump in there because eventually you'll find that one person that says "Wait..let me help you".

Many people don't realize that asking questions is my way of understanding because I can't see it from a more "normal" point of view. THAT is what we have trouble learning. I really do see correlations between my communication issues as a HOH person and as a socially awkward person. Which is why I'm just as confused as teamint with the reaction to the questions...we all know how important meeting halfway in communication is.

Well, one of the things that confused me is why Teamint seemed to feel that I was angry with her. I wasn't upset or annoyed at all. I just disagreed.

Well, one of the things that confused me is why Teamint seemed to feel that I was angry with her. I wasn't upset or annoyed at all. I just disagreed.

I don't really run into too many folks like myself (This is the first time in 10 years honestly), so I know sometimes when they start disagreeing *I* read more into it than was there just because that's what I'm used to. It's like I can't just take the disagreement, I'm gearing up to defend myself already.

The weird thing is if I catch myself doing that and continue without the assumption I end up having to defend myself...doh.. :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back