wow, even I am shocked.

Your Mom

Reaction score
For the past two years I have worked for HRC, and I have seen all kinds of ignorance, hatred and just down right humerous things directed at gays and lesbians. But after coming on this forum, I have come across a new breed of ignorance. I expected this forum to be a lot more open and at least tolerant of many lifestyles, genders, sexuality, creed, races. But I have encounted a lot of animosity on this forum. I am incredibly shocked. By no means did I expect to come here and have everyone agree with everything everyone else thinks and have it like some kind of fantasy land where everyone gets along. But I did expect at least a minimal level of tolerance, which seems to be far too much to ask from some people here.

Sorry for the rant, but as I said Im just shocked.

I know that I am new here, but it was just an observation and I meant by no means to offend anyone by this post. I love the forums where its pretty much striticly talk about deaf culture, but once you venture out it seems to go down hill.

Your Mom said:
For the past two years I have worked for HRC, and I have seen all kinds of ignorance, hatred and just down right humerous things directed at gays and lesbians. But after coming on this forum, I have come across a new breed of ignorance. I expected this forum to be a lot more open and at least tolerant of many lifestyles, genders, sexuality, creed, races. But I have encounted a lot of animosity on this forum. I am incredibly shocked. By no means did I expect to come here and have everyone agree with everything everyone else thinks and have it like some kind of fantasy land where everyone gets along. But I did expect at least a minimal level of tolerance, which seems to be far too much to ask from some people here.

I know that I am new here, but it was just an observation and I meant by no means to offend anyone by this post. I love the forums where its pretty much striticly talk about deaf culture, but once you venture out it seems to go down hill.
I agree that there are some pretty bad things said here once and a while. But a couple of things to keep it all in perspective. And let me preface this by saying it's just my opinion. We all (at least in the USA) have the RIGHT to freedom of speach. It's not a privilage it's our constitutional RIGHT. It doesn't mean we all have to agree but there are many people that fight and die for us to retain that right. The other point I would make is that this is an open forum. The fact that it's open is what keeps me here. That doesn't mean that we don't have to be respectful to others and trust me, when people get out of line by disrespecting others, there are members and mods that will put them in their place rather quickly.

Don't you know that most of customers from the rural towns always complain the metro people behaviors....

I used to work for HRC for summer as a prep cook.

rockdrummer said:
I agree that there are some pretty bad things said here once and a while. But a couple of things to keep it all in perspective. And let me preface this by saying it's just my opinion. We all (at least in the USA) have the RIGHT to freedom of speach. It's not a privilage it's our constitutional RIGHT. It doesn't mean we all have to agree but there are many people that fight and die for us to retain that right. The other point I would make is that this is an open forum. The fact that it's open is what keeps me here. That doesn't mean that we don't have to be respectful to others and trust me, when people get out of line by disrespecting others, there are members and mods that will put them in their place rather quickly.

I completly agree, I dont expect or believe that anyone should be forced to comply with or agree with others ideas. But I suppose I just expected a community of people who are constantly sterotyped, and at times ridiculed would at least be somewhat more tolerant of other minorities in the same sense.

I guess I got proved wrong.

Mookie said:
Don't you know that most of customers from the rural towns always complain the metro people behaviors....

I used to work for HRC for summer as a prep cook.

Yes I am aware of that I am originally from Arkansas, but moved to boston several years ago and just moved back. Rural populations chalk it up to Urban populations being rude, but its really that they just dont care. And that can be perceived as being rude, I turned into one of those people I wouldnt hold doors for people or do any of the things I used to, but it wasnt because I was rude but because you just get to where you dont care when youre around a bunch of other people that dont care.

HRC is an interesting establishment.

Your Mom said:

I am sorry that you found out about this.. some of them are closed mind..
but i dont judge on others.. its your choices..

DoofusMama said:
I am sorry that you found out about this.. some of them are closed mind..
but i dont judge on others.. its your choices..

No no I am not making the claim that the enitre forum is this way, I just shouldnt have expected this to be an overall tolerant place, Im not sure why I had such expectations.

What's HRC? And Your Mom, this area is pretty decent. Sure it's not exactly the best in the world, but I think it's b/c we have some very heavy fundies posting here. At least we don't have dumbass frat boyz coming in and bashing on us. Overall it's pretty friendly.

There's ignorance wherever you go. I will admit that there is a stronger breed of ignorance manifested through a few select people on this particular forum. I don't know why AD is more special, but I've learned to cope. I am sure to make use of the Ignore feature. For the most part, ADers are fairly level-headed and openminded, but for the intolerant few, you have to learn to develop a thick skin. Hope it doesn't scare you off. We need fresh blood on here to keep things new.

deafdyke said:
BTW, what's HRC?

go to www.hrc.org its an organization based out of DC that works for the legal rights for gays lesbians bisexual and transgendered persons. They do a lot of lobbying for LGBT rights.

I understand that its everywhere, I was just shocked to find it so proudly displayed by a few here. I have run into some seriously warped minds, but on here some guy was saying that "someone had the right to kill a deaf gay guy, because the gay guy hit on him" I am a lesbian, I get hit on by males, it doesnt give me any sort of allowance for murder. And some girl was saying that her education was being ruined because gay people were also students at her school.

It just makes me wonder what kind of fantasy land some of these people exist in?

Your Mom... pay no attention to the rants against gays.... now and then they would rant..It does not bother me at all they are idiots... not open-minded...
SxyPorkie

i know how you feel about this

i was like EH when they were bashing about gays and lesbians
but i never posted anything in the threads when ppl were bashing so i back off
said NOTHING

so they are whiners trust me

moonflower said:
i know how you feel about this

i was like EH when they were bashing about gays and lesbians
but i never posted anything in the threads when ppl were bashing so i back off
said NOTHING

so they are whiners trust me

I feel bad for YourMom being new username and got bashed.. it is not right... I support gays and lesbians..even tho i am very straight..
SxyPorkie

porkie
i know me too i support gays and lesbians anyway
they don't bother me
but only i ignored people who bash about gays and lesbians

moonflower said:
porkie
i know me too i support gays and lesbians anyway
they don't bother me
but only i ignored people who bash about gays and lesbians

We have a name for straight people who are tolearnt/supportive/accepting of LGBT persons.

'Straight but not narrow'

It means youre straight but not narrow minded. Its always comforting to hear that my straight counterparts are accepting and supportive. I dont go around telling straight people I cant stand them and that when straight males hit on me I want to vomit.

I take it as a compliment as anyone should and move on. I just dont see the need for all the unecessary hatred that exists between straight and gay persons.

Oh, I know what HRC is.....didn't know if it was something else that you guys were referring to......
on here some guy was saying that "someone had the right to kill a deaf gay guy, because the gay guy hit on him"
Would that be Heath? Pay him no mind. He is one seriously messed up guy.....He's very Christian Idneity (think David Duke style) even posted on Stormfront.....not sure who you're talking about with the girl.....Miss P? I got the feeling that she just wants to play with people and isn't really serious.

deafdyke said:
Oh, I know what HRC is.....didn't know if it was something else that you guys were referring to......

Would that be Heath? Pay him no mind. He is one seriously messed up guy.....He's very Christian Idneity (think David Duke style) even posted on Stormfront.....not sure who you're talking about with the girl.....Miss P? I got the feeling that she just wants to play with people and isn't really serious.

Im not sure of names as of yet, I am still new. But this girl I swear was so paranoid and crazy that I just refuse to believe that shes serious. She was so ridiculous it was absurd. I just cant help but to think shes just pulling some big joke on everyone, I know some odd people but that girl takes the cake.

No one is that upset over lance bass being gay.

Well, just ignore them who bash on homosexual but they are so jealous about our personal. ;)

I agree with those people. I am aware of HRC- we do have similar org. called Outfront here in Minnesota.

I am open minded, and any GLBT people are more than welcome to be my friends because I do have some GLBT friends. GLBT people doesn't bother me at all. Once a year they would have a Outfront rally at my work. I hate anti-gay marriage people who rally at my work, I was like geesh, why can't they get a life than come to my work to bitch at the legislature? Truth, GLBT people was better tipper at my work than anti-gay marriage folks, altough I never express my political prespective on GLBT issues when some lobbyists and legislators know what I stand on but they just act like normal customers.

I bet that anti-glbt people here on AD are bunches of bible thumpers.

Back