Would you rather date...

I'd like to date a deaf guy because I don't like things that are loud. I like quiet...wait, scratch that...I LOVE the quiet. Plus, I think deaf men are very in-tune to the people around them. Their other senses are more acute and that is very attractive! :) Personally, I'd find a relationship with a deaf man an honor! :)

HAHA DEAF PEOPLE ARE NOT QUIET! well at least im not LOL My family tells me im screaming and to be quiet...sometimes something private "slips" and then the entire resturant knows lol :aw:

Do it not bother you to rely on *him* to hear for you?

No it dosen't bother me at all. I can communicate without him--read lips but if people have accent, facial hair, etc etc. they need to write it down. He makes it a lot easier for both parties and he dosent mind.

If people tell you to stop screaming, just scream back, "I am not screaming! Get your hearing checked!"

I'm hearing and I'd be interested in dating a deaf person just as much as a hearing person (possibly more :p)

I am hearing, but I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to date a Deaf guy. I love ASL and would love to go times without talking. I also like the culture and would be great to go out with a Deaf guy.

Ya know... I'm finding it amazing how many more people (hearing people that is) are starting to say that they want to date a Deaf person... and it seems they would date them just because they are Deaf... doesn't seem right to me. but That might just be me I guess...

And Deaf people are NOT quiet... that is a big misunderstanding... we just can't hear ourselves :giggle: so we sometimes think we are being quiet. and Shoshana, I understand the comment in a restaurant... I was with my mom one day and we were talking in what I thought was whispered conversation when she told me something that I didn't quite understand... I said "Dad stuck his favorite what where?" when I thought I was being quiet... apparently she said "Dad sucked his favorite pencil in the vacuum" I thought she said something quite different... the entire restaurant was looking at us... and I... I was mortified...

My boyfriend is Deaf , I didn't get up one day saying I think I want to date someone deaf.
The first time I met my BF I was actually at camp and I was a scared to talk to him . I knew a bit of ASL before we met but I was scared to show what I knew because it could have been something I didn't want to say . Ah terrifying ... First thing said.. Hi my name is Qaihe.... my name is Paige....

I am married, but if I were single, I wouldn't care if the person I dated was deaf. (I'm hearing, so is hubby) It just doesn't matter to me if a person is haring, deaf, tall, short, walking, or in a wheelchair.

More important to me is if a guy (or girl, I am bi) is funny, kind, and smart. I am a total geek, so I need someone who can challenge me. I want intellegent conversation, I don't care what language that conversation is in!

Honestly, dating (or since I'm married now, being friends with) someone who has had different life experiences than me is more interesting than someone who is just like me. That's just one reason I love my hubby, he was raised differently, in a different part of the country, and he is 11 yrs my senior. Our differences make our relationship more interesting-we have mroe to teach each other, and in turn, more to learn!

Like I said, I am a geek, so I love to learn. I am utterly curious about anything and everything. I love meeting new people who hav new things to teach me. You lived in Thailand for 5 years? Awesome, tell me all about yourself. You use a wheelchair? Awesome, tell me all about yourself. You are hearing/Deaf? Awesome, tell me all about yourself. If you want to talk about what makes you different, awesome! Want to talk about your favorite books? Awesome!

People are inherantly interesting. Once you see that differences make us interesting, and stop being scared of the unkown, life is much more fun!

I'm a hearing guy, don't know ASL, but I have always been interested in learning. I found this site because I wanted to see if there are any other men that are attracted to deaf women as well as hearing women. I thought it odd that being deaf should attract me. I've realized that it is not the fact that the person is deaf, it is the enthusiam and life that I see in deaf women when they are communicating -the character and emotion displayed. Of course this is also in hearing women, but it feels more personal when watching a couple deaf friends communicate rather than a couple of hearing friends. I know that doesn't make it more personal since it is necessary for clarity. Still, as long as we are compatible, I wouldn't think twice about dating a deaf woman. I thought this thread was interesting and perhaps my reason is similar to why other hearing people are attracted to deaf people.

I would never say I chose to date a deaf guy but I met him one day and that was that. I was naive and came to this website asking how to initiate with him, etc. But that was then and this is now. We've been together for 2 years. I can't even imagine how it used to be when I dated hearing guys.
Honestly, you know why I was so fascinated? Because before I knew how to communicate with him, he was whoever I wanted him to be. He was this magical perfect person. Who had the patience of a saint to put up with me learning how to sign. And who was so very blunt and honest. Who always paid attention to me when I had something to say. And so so funny. He could make me laugh like no other. There was no initial awkwardness. Learning how to communicate with each other took care of that. I was so concerned with how to ask a question that how to phrase it became insignificant.
Altogether, very odd reasons for a relationship. It's been two years and I am still finding out things about him that it would have taken 6 months to find out in a hearing relationship. It's a little more difficult because my boyfriend doesn't read or write. Never uses the internet. It took me a year to convince him to learn how to text message. But I love him nonetheless. All in all, I don't think being deaf or hearing should be deal-breakers if you feel a connection with someone.

Last edited:
i'm a deaf girl

kind of iffy about dating hearing men- i had a bad experience with them. they just used me and couldn't even be bothered to learn SL. but i know a bad apple or two doesn't spoil the bunch. i wouldn't mind dating one if he was genuinely nice, fluent in SL, and interested in communicating with me

honestly, i would feel more comfortable dating a deaf guy

Wirelessly posted

A lot of deaf guys ive met so far turn out to be douches. I'm open minded, but come on. I don't want to date a lazy deaf boy livin off SSI or even someone bigheaded.

I've been with hearing boys so far and they seem more well grounded and can do well for themselves.

Guess I'm just unlucky when it comes to deaf boys.

Wirelessly posted

A lot of deaf guys ive met so far turn out to be douches. I'm open minded, but come on. I don't want to date a lazy deaf boy livin off SSI or even someone bigheaded.

I've been with hearing boys so far and they seem more well grounded and can do well for themselves.

Maybe, you could try oral D/deaf guys with knowledge of ASL or none? Just suggestion.

Wirelessly posted

KarissaMann05 said:
Wirelessly posted

Maybe, you could try oral D/deaf guys with knowledge of ASL or none? Just suggestion.

Tried that already. :( Guess some things just aren't meant to be.

Wirelessly posted

................ How did that multimillionaire turn out?

Wirelessly posted

posts from hell said:
Wirelessly posted

................ How did that multimillionaire turn out?

Still a whole hell better than all the deaf boys unfortunately... He did well for himself obviously.

Back