Would you be buried at sea?

For anyone who thinks that cemeteries take up valuable land, what else would you have than land for? A parking lot? A mall? Condos? A subdivision? The truth is, cemeteries provide permanent green space of grass and trees, almost like parks, especially in urban areas. If their land wasn't being used for burials, they would probably end up being developed rather than left natural.

This was in my newspaper but I am not a subscriber and can only read 5 free pages per month . I had posted that I wanted Finlay and my ashes mixed together and brought to the woods were Finlay and I went everyday for hikes . I want our ashes throw toward the river and now that I have Marty his ashes will mixed with our too. I had it written in my will
that "I want Finlay and my ashes mixed well ". I don't want to spend a lot of money to be buried in the ground , no one in my family visit the cemetery were my parents our buried or anyone else for that matter .

@ Annie09Z " no need to go and visit a slab of granite somewhere." LOL! This just how I feel ! There is no to see and I am not in the habit to talking a slab of granite either.
My mom knew I loved her and was very protected of her while in the nursing home. She called me if wanted something done.

My neighbour buried her mums ashes in the urn in back garden she moved forgot take her mums ashes.My god should seen faces of new people who moved in and found them...
My husband asked for rock and roll send off be elvis O and queen and hyme abide with me
.Going be one intresting send off if I still here see it.i make sure he gets rocker send off if I still here to do it.

This was in my newspaper but I am not a subscriber and can only read 5 free pages per month . I had posted that I wanted Finlay and my ashes mixed together and brought to the woods were Finlay and I went everyday for hikes . I want our ashes throw toward the river and now that I have Marty his ashes will mixed with our too. I had it written in my will
that "I want Finlay and my ashes mixed well ". I don't want to spend a lot of money to be buried in the ground , no one in my family visit the cemetery were my parents our buried or anyone else for that matter .
This has interesting details and descriptions of at-sea burials for civilians--and it's in Massachusetts.

Burial at sea

For anyone who thinks that cemeteries take up valuable land, what else would you have than land for? A parking lot? A mall? Condos? A subdivision? The truth is, cemeteries provide permanent green space of grass and trees, almost like parks, especially in urban areas. If their land wasn't being used for burials, they would probably end up being developed rather than left natural.

The cemetery my parents are buried is in a very poor part of a city , my mom's family were very poor and buried there , dad wanted to be bury in a nicer cemetery but he brought a plot were mom's family were. It's a very small cemetery and once it's filled up there is no more land b/c it on a corner lot right off the street. I wonder how the cemetery will made money for the upkeep and I bet in 100 years that cemetery will be gone . Not all cemetery last forever , the poor ones get knocked down and build over. The last time I went the grass was not planted on my mom's side and we paid money for that . I made phone calls b/c my younger sister won't . That was her job and she never kept after them . So there is only dirt on my mom's side . Someone kept our money to use for something else . :mad:

http://untappedcities.com/2013/08/20/beautiful-vintage-subway-entrances-nyc/

My dad buried on hill he looks straight out to sea he also see me mums cottage he in a plot awaiting my mother who not joining anytime soon

The cemetery my parents are buried is in a very poor part of a city , my mom's family were very poor and buried there , dad wanted to be bury in a nicer cemetery but he brought a plot were mom's family were. It's a very small cemetery and once it's filled up there is no more land b/c it on a corner lot right off the street. I wonder how the cemetery will made money for the upkeep and I bet in 100 years that cemetery will be gone . Not all cemetery last forever , the poor ones get knocked down and build over. The last time I went the grass was not planted on my mom's side and we paid money for that . I made phone calls b/c my younger sister won't . That was her job and she never kept after them . So there is only dirt on my mom's side . Someone kept our money to use for something else . :mad:

http://untappedcities.com/2013/08/20/beautiful-vintage-subway-entrances-nyc/
I guess it depends. My mom's family ancestors have a cemetery they've used since the 1600's in CT, and it's still kept up. My dad's family are in a small, private neighborhood cemetery, about 100 years old, that's still kept up, mostly by family and volunteers, I think. I've visited several cemeteries over 100 years old, and they are still kept nice.

In another part of CT, very rural, there is a small cemetery in the woods, originally for smallpox victims. It got overgrown but a Boy Scout troop took over, cleaned it up, and now maintains it.

What do mean they are "knocked down and build over?" I didn't think that was legal unless the remains were reinterred elsewhere first. I know in the Charleston area whenever they find remains, such as unmarked slave graves found in a construction area, they respectfully disinter them and move them to another cemetery for burial. They never build or pave over them.

Someday, you're going to run out of space to disinter and reinter them. That's why it makes sense to do cremations or burial at sea.

Someday, you're going to run out of space to disinter and reinter them. That's why it makes sense to do cremations or burial at sea.
After thousands of years, we haven't run out of space yet. I'm not worried about it.

Like TCS posted, and we've already bought and paid for our plots which are near the plots owned by our daughter and son-in-law for their family.

That is a very good reason to be buried in the ground . I am hoping my daughter will have no trouble having me cremated being Jewish .
I know some people go to their loves one grave sites to plant flowers or just visit and that is nice , we just never did this in my family . I don't even know were my grandmother is buried , I was not allowed to go to her funeral and I was upset about that.

I guess it depends. My mom's family ancestors have a cemetery they've used since the 1600's in CT, and it's still kept up. My dad's family are in a small, private neighborhood cemetery, about 100 years old, that's still kept up, mostly by family and volunteers, I think. I've visited several cemeteries over 100 years old, and they are still kept nice.

In another part of CT, very rural, there is a small cemetery in the woods, originally for smallpox victims. It got overgrown but a Boy Scout troop took over, cleaned it up, and now maintains it.

What do mean they are "knocked down and build over?" I didn't think that was legal unless the remains were reinterred elsewhere first. I know in the Charleston area whenever they find remains, such as unmarked slave graves found in a construction area, they respectfully disinter them and move them to another cemetery for burial. They never build or pave over them.

We have a cemetery over 100 yo and the city take care of it . I wanted to put WW1 stone on the ground in front of my dad headstone and the Veteran Affair Office was going to pay for the stone b/c dad should had gotten something . I called the caretaker of the Jewish cemetery to find out what their rules were about putting Veteran stone in and I was told it would cost $350 to put it the cemetery. My son in law was going put it in
the ground for me , the Veteran Affair Office in my city was angry when I told them I had to pay that much money to honor my father. Our cemetery it so poor they look for anyway to make money . But mom wanted to be next to be her parents and some of her brothers.
I will be dead in less than 100 years , at least I hope I will be :giggle:
and it will not matter what happen to the cemetery .

I am at that age where .. I don't really have to think about that at all

Death can happen at any age. Sickness, car accident, house fire--lots of things can happen. Young people die every day. There is no age where sudden death can't happen.

Death can happen at any age. Sickness, car accident, house fire--lots of things can happen. Young people die every day. There is no age where sudden death can't happen.

Sadly I know this for a fact , one of my daughter best friend die of a blood clot at the age of 38 years old and his younger brother dies the same age about 2 years later. The parents have no more kids . :(
My best friend dies at age 4o from a brain tumor before her first grandchild was to be born.

Sadly I know this for a fact , one of my daughter best friend die of a blood clot at the age of 38 years old and his younger brother dies the same age about 2 years later. The parents have no more kids . :(
My best friend dies at age 4o from a brain tumor before her first grandchild was to be born.
And AD member Mark was only 31 when he died in the fire. :(

Back